• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Or thererebouts, my dad was in MACV headquarters, on General Westmoreland's staff, during the brunt of the Tet Offensive. Of interest to everyone at INGO, I believe, is the fact that my dad had expressly ignored the idiotic Army directive that staff officers in Saigon were NOT to carry personal weapons. Yes, you read that right. So my dad had in his pocket the day of the offensive (as he was always carrying) a little Browning .25 auto. Better than nothing. As he tells the story, he was suddenly the most popular guy in his particular wing of HQ, as the outnumbered MPs outside attempted to protect the unarmed senior staff of the US military from VC attacks.

He made it back in one piece, thank God, and didn't actually have to use his "illegal" handgun to save himself.

My dad still has a copy of the sneering, condescending memorandum written by the Secretary of the General Staff denying his request for an exception to the personal weapons policy (written, of course, prior to the Tet Offensive). The memo actually says something along the lines that the US leadership was concerned that armed staffers would be viewed as "swaggering conquerors" by the ARVNs.

I wish I could say that the Army's attitudes about weapon possession by soldiers (in a combat zone, no less) have changed. But we all know better, right?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I really appreciate your father's service. Glad he overlooked the directives.

The Vietnam era was not a good time. So many young men gave their lives, yet those that returned were looked down upon. My # was drawn on a couple months after they decided to halt the draft. So fortunate.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I really appreciate your father's service. Glad he overlooked the directives.

The Vietnam era was not a good time. So many young men gave their lives, yet those that returned were looked down upon. My # was drawn on a couple months after they decided to halt the draft. So fortunate.

Thanks, Nascarfantoo. I'm also glad he ignored the directives and made it back in one piece, as I came along about a year later! :):

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Will do. I actually called him today and reminded him of the 50 year milestone. He's writing his memoirs from those days, for which I am eternally grateful. Someday my kids and grandkids will get to read those stories for themselves.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Unfortunately some things never change. Those who are in charge (and often have armed security details) will force the troops to be disarmed. Tet was 50 years ago, hard to believe.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately some things never change. Those who are in charge (and often have armed security details) will force the troops to be disarmed. Tet was 50 years ago, hard to believe.

Too true. Sadly the military leadership has no monopoly on a lack of common sense. For that same attitude is held by our self-annointed "betters" in suits who also have armed security guards and likewise want civilians to be disarmed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Wow, that's a cool story. Tell your Dad thanks for his service and protecting Americans in a hostile country.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My dad was in the USAF at the airbase in Saigon during the Tet Offensive. Don’t know much about it other than he volunteered for usaf thinking his # was up and he would be less likely to see direct action in the AF vs getting drafted. Some photos he has of the aftermath says that backfired. His ability to put it behind him and go on with life is one of the things I’ve always admired about him.

-rvb

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    My dad was in the USAF at the airbase in Saigon during the Tet Offensive. Don’t know much about it other than he volunteered for usaf thinking his # was up and he would be less likely to see direct action in the AF vs getting drafted. Some photos he has of the aftermath says that backfired. His ability to put it behind him and go on with life is one of the things I’ve always admired about him.

-rvb

I thank your dad for his service. Anyone who puts on a uniform for this country-green, blue, or otherwise--has my utmost respect.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sometimes, people forget the purpose of the military is to fight.
    And that plans rarely survive contact with the enemy.
    And sometimes, those people are in command.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Tell your dad WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!! from me. I never miss a chance to Welcome Home a Vietnam Vet. It's never too late!

From me as well.

Just out of curiosity do you or your dad still have that pistol? Would make a great family heirloom. My father in law has a Colt 1911 from 1918 and a German 32 auto pistol that his grandpa brought back from WW1.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    From me as well.

Just out of curiosity do you or your dad still have that pistol? Would make a great family heirloom. My father in law has a Colt 1911 from 1918 and a German 32 auto pistol that his grandpa brought back from WW1.

Yes, incredibly, he still does have it. Complete with carved ivory grips. Notwithstanding the crazy Army regulation that was the topic of my initiating post, it sure sounds like the old man did a lot of gun trading while he was in Vietnam. I wish he'd been able to bring back (and amnesty register) his M2 carbine or Thompson SMG!

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Will do. I actually called him today and reminded him of the 50 year milestone. He's writing his memoirs from those days, for which I am eternally grateful. Someday my kids and grandkids will get to read those stories for themselves.

A great website for preserving these memories is the Veteran's History Project, https://www.loc.gov/vets/
    My father-in-law was a POW of the Germans in WWII, and someone interviewed him and added the audio to this collection. He is gone now, but we can share his story with our kids and grand-kids. I would recommend all veterans add their story to this.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Willfull stupidity seems to be a military institution no matter where you go. A year after the 1st Lebanon war the reserve unit I was in had an emergency mobilization. After drawing weapons etc at an armory in Tel Aviv, we were told to get ammo from an emergency ammo dump near the border south of metulla. The REMF in charge apparently didn't want to deal with the paper work and told us "they've got ammo for you, where you're going, in the Beka'a valley". After the Colonel told him that we weren't getting back in our convoy of city busses without any ammo, the miser doled out a 30 round box apiece.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    A great website for preserving these memories is the Veteran's History Project, https://www.loc.gov/vets/
    My father-in-law was a POW of the Germans in WWII, and someone interviewed him and added the audio to this collection. He is gone now, but we can share his story with our kids and grand-kids. I would recommend all veterans add their story to this.

Thanks for that tip---we'll definitely look into it

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In most every class based society, those in the higher echelons seek to disarm those below. Sad that the military is not much different in mindset.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Ah yes, Tet of '68. They got our bomb dump at Chu Lai, blast wave got me. B-52 raids just outside of the base, Battleship New Jersey and her 16" guns would light up the horizon. She was shooting over our base at times. I do not respond well to unexpected loud noises to this day.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I was always disarmed for my own protection...which is why I always carried knives, a lot of knives. Some of the deployments I went on were considered BYOG assignments because everyone knew the official position was CYA crapolla and we were going into danger close. The idiocy of their decision making was directly tied back to political outcomes at home with no consider for the soldiers under fire (sort of like the current budget process).

Of course they would send me disarmed to a place where I would pick up a fully loaded tank or fighter jet...then we could pick up a gun...and tons of destruction, not before.

BTW, I'm reading your dad's book "Gunning Adventures in Germany" (hardcover off Amazon), we were there about the same time and I have to say Thanks for the Memories!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom