• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I know there have been past threads on the A-10 but I saw this on another sight and I thought I'd see what everyone thought. Myself, I'm of two minds.
    On one hand, it's past success should guarantee it's future (at least until a suitable replacement). On the other, it's airframe is old and none of been made since about 1987.

Personally I think the Air Force should get out of the business of close air support and let the Army fly real airplanes again.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Build new ones!
    They re-engineered the B-52 how many times?

The A10 Watrhog was a workhorse for us, and a dreaded menace to our foes.
    One of the toughest planes ever built.
    I've seen pictures of Warthogs that came home looking like there was only half a plane left.
    A lot like the B-29 Super Fortress. Built like a tank.

I guess that's reason enough for this administration to get rid of them. They work, so...out they go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They sound like a giant fart in the sky when they fire the big gun under the nose. If farting airplanes aren't worth tax dollars, I don't know what is.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love the A10! I'm not a flyer and never been in the Military but I love that aircraft! Something about building a plane around a very big gun! Besides it's one of those things that are so Ugly that it's beautiful. In addition it's not an over complicated aircraft and they can probably build several in the time it takes to make one F22 or what ever the latest fighter. Need to keep something like this in the inventory.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I remember hearing the A-10's from time to time in Iraq felt good to hear one go off and know you'd be covered.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The A10 fills a role which no other currently designed aircraft can come close to accomplishing as well.

Probably why they recently spent a great deal of money on upgrading the electronics and other systems on them.

Last edited:

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    In trials during the late 1980s the ground attack capabilities of the F-16 were judged as close to that of the A-10, but lacked the loiter time and low speed/low altitude characteristics to match the venerable Warthog. Given what we've learned about the nature of close air support on the battlefield in the wars since then, I'd say keeping it would have been a no brainer. It's cheap to make, maintain, and fly.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I've always loved the A10. That Gatling gun is a wonder. I remember when someone brought in one of the 30mm rounds topped with that depleted uranium projectile when I was in the AF. Damn.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Wishful replacement

gallery_34407_5666_215961.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Spent 12 years working on A-10s as a jet engine technician. Three years at RAF Woodbridge, UK and nine years with the 930 TFG at Grissom. Did everything including tear-down, overhaul and build-up of the engines and APUs. Ran them on the test cell and installed and ran the engines in the aircraft. Deployed to Germany and Italy with them. One of the saddest days of my life was seeing the final ones leave Grissom in 1994. Great aircraft that the Air Force needs to keep.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Funny how an airplane designed to bust Russian armor in the Fulda Gap ended up being the most effective ground attack plane in three desert wars. I bet if there was a serious, legitimate push within the Pentagon for these airframes to be transferred to the Army or Marines the Ascot Mafia would find the funding for them.

A high school buddy of mine is an infantry officer in the 10MD, and during his year in A-Stan said he loved nothing more than Hogs on station when he needed CAS.

All good things must come to an end, but I'm sorry, RPAs and Apaches and even B-52s loaded with JDAMs simply can't replace the ass that a flight of A-10s can bring to a fight.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here's a story of Capt. Kim Campbell. She received a Distinguished Flying Cross in 2003 for her efforts against the Iraq Republican Guard. Her plan was shot to hell.

But, she brought it back safe.

Badass of the Week: Captain Kim Campbell

Great story.

There's no way the F-16 can take that abuse.
    And it has to fly a lot faster, making attacks like this even more difficult.

I think the Air Force doesn't like it, because a large part of the AF just doesn't like CAS.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Wishful replacement

gallery_34407_5666_215961.jpg

Looks like a Lego model.

George Lucas's conception of the X-wing for Star Wars XXIII?
    :):

I have always loved the A-10 and the role it has filled so well. It's a Pit Bull among the well groomed show dogs in the AF's inventory, but it, or something like it, is essential to our war fighting. The airframe and it's capabiies pair up and compliment the AH-64 so well that maybe they are better suited as permanently controlled CAS assets by the Army and Marines, especially if the Air Farce is dead set on having only fast movers and heavy bombers. After all, our air combat prowess as a Nation began as the Army Air Corps. :D

Top Bottom