• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Part of the problem is they aren't sexy enough for the AF 4-stars. They like supersonic air superiority, not flying in the mud and weeds ground attack. Teh latter might have got them beers but the former is what got them ... :)

IF I recall the AF tried to retire the A10 following Desert Storm, too. Replacing it with a version of the F16.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Every time they try to replace it with something sexy, they realize they can't live without it. I would think the only thing that could fulfill it's mission would be drones, but they could never possibly have the same amount of firepower.

The AF should just embrace its ugliness.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The AF should get out of CAS altogether and let the Army handle it. Give the A -10's to them and start looking for an updated version of it.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    In trials during the late 1980s the ground attack capabilities of the F-16 were judged as close to that of the A-10, but lacked the loiter time and low speed/low altitude characteristics to match the venerable Warthog. Given what we've learned about the nature of close air support on the battlefield in the wars since then, I'd say keeping it would have been a no brainer. It's cheap to make, maintain, and fly.

Sorry I work with this great aircraft, they have not made it since the early 80's therefore the tooling to make it is gone, parts have to come from boneyard pulls it is not cheap to maintain, and it is just as expensive to fly in the current fiscal arena. Even the Army has stated that it can get along with other airframes working CAS. Yes the gun is the big player in the equation but that gun also has a tendency to vibrate excessively and break parts over time. my :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry I work with this great aircraft, they have not made it since the early 80's therefore the tooling to make it is gone, parts have to come from boneyard pulls it is not cheap to maintain, and it is just as expensive to fly in the current fiscal arena. Even the Army has stated that it can get along with other airframes working CAS. Yes the gun is the big player in the equation but that gun also has a tendency to vibrate excessively and break parts over time. my :twocents:

If they could create it in the 80s, then can't it be recreated today?
    Were they so much smarter then, that we can't reinvent?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Think about an unmanned CAS drone that's a hybrid of the Apache helo and the Warthog... And perhaps...

You'd get a device similar to the model pictured above.

Bring on the drone wars???

ETA: Also - my wife's ex step grandfather (her ex step mom's dad...) lives about 10 miles south of Ft. Wayne Int'l airport. The Warthogs out of the Ft. Wayne Air Guard unit fly over his farm all the time!

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    If they could create it in the 80s, then can't it be recreated today?
    Were they so much smarter then, that we can't reinvent?

Recreate yes it could be, I believe that yes they could do that and make it much better. The problem then is you still have a platform that is not multi mission capable.
    Therefore you do not have the percieved "bang for the buck" in other words not fiscally cost effective. The main issue it that the tooling was destroyed if i remember correctly. that is why Boing had to recreate a new wing assembly from scratch for the airframes requiring them, again fiscally prohibitive. Again I love the airframe I served in the army with them overhead and worked with them, the best of both worlds.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I too love the A-10, but it's time for the old workhorse to be retired in a place of honor right with other classic planes. Drones are the way to go... well, until Skynet starts to get smart.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I too love the A-10, but it's time for the old workhorse to be retired in a place of honor right with other classic planes. Drones are the way to go... well, until Skynet starts to get smart.
    And what happens if we fight a competent opponent? One with electronic warfare capabilities,.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And what happens if we fight a competent opponent? One with electronic warfare capabilities,.

I don't think that really applies to the retirement of the warthog, in favor of attack drones. Let's be honest with ourselves for a moment. The A-10 isn't a platform that belongs in the "big show," against opponents with competent electronic warfare capabilities (EWCs). Its revised role has been to harass and rain destruction down on 2nd or 3rd tier militaries. Nations that can pull off EW (i.e. Russia, China, Japan, India) would deal with A-10 fairly easily, as they would drones. For an A-10 to shine, air superiority would have to established. And with the countries I mentioned, that's not exactly a given. So if anything, the A-10 should remain in it's current "B-team" role; though given it's a manned platform, I'd prefer drones taking on the risks that they can, IMO, do better than the A-10, but with no threat to life.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Kutnupe14 said:
    The A-10 isn't a platform that belongs in the "big show," against opponents with competent electronic warfare capabilities (EWCs).

That is true of ANY close air support aircraft, be it fixed or rotary wing.

Given than the A-10 is way less electronic than most 4Gen+ tactical aircraft, I'd say electronic warfare would have a less appreciable impact on it than other types. Furthermore, the A-10 was designed to operate in a high-threat environment as evidenced by its demonstrated survivability.

The A-10 may not be the ideal situation, but I have doubts that any RPA could be as effective in the CAS role as a manned aircraft.

Top Bottom