• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    After 12yrs in the corps I’ve held off buying cans. Now I’m settled in Indy, have my IN driver license etc. i wanna gets some cans. from everything I’ve read is get a .308 can for my ARs (I have 5.56 and .308) and get a .45 can for my pistols (currently just have a p320 setup for can but working on getting a 1911 and threaded barrel)

Is this a good idea? Should I get a dedicated 9mm can and wait? I don’t have any 147g just a lot of 115g right now.

Cheaper the better but don’t want complete trash if that’s even a thing. Any brand suggestions or mounts?

And anyone have a idea on current form wait times?

Thanks guys!!!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    You can start out with the .308 and .45 cans and use them on the other guns, but suppressors are addicting and you will end up buying one for each gun, at least thats how it went for me haha.

Current wait times with the new eform 4 filing have been around 75 days from what i have been seeing on reddit.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    You can start out with the .308 and .45 cans and use them on the other guns, but suppressors are addicting and you will end up buying one for each gun, at least thats how it went for me haha.

Current wait times with the new eform 4 filing have been around 75 days from what i have been seeing on reddit.
    That’s not bad at all!! Haha I don’t make the kinds money to put a can on all my guns. I know .308 will work on my all my ARs just don’t know if I should plan for .45 (currently don’t have any, sold all my 1911s and glock 21) or stick to 9mm since that’s what I have chambered in all my pistols

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I was in a similar position to you, and I decided to go the direction that is generally recommended against and got a all-in-one can, the Griffin Bushwhacker 46. I will be able to use it in everything from 22lr all the way to my 45-70. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have a pistol can. If I didn't have a couple PCCs I probably would hardly ever use it. Be better off starting out with a 30 cal can and a .22 can

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Any brand and mount recommendation ?
    I have a nomad with the key-mo mount and love it…but a lot of people complain about the weight (1.5 lbs or so). I guess if I went back, I’d have ordered the titanium.

The reason for my earlier vague comment is pistol caliber suppressors are tricky and some require boosters to be able to run. I’ve never had a problem running a can on a rifle yet, or a rifle caliber pistol.

SFMF!

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Start with a rifle can... a 30 caliber is where to start. It works well on 5.56 and if you ever decide to get into longer distance or bolt guns it will work for them too. Personally I don't like cans on centerfire pistols. I think of it as fun, but not practical. It's really hard to beat the fun of a rimfire suppressor. On pistols and rifles it's a blast. You could pick up the new Sig P322 and have really fun trainer/plinker.

Dead Air Sandman/Nomad family is my preference for rifle. They are built tough and the QD attachments are rock solid and easy to mount/unmount. Sticking with Dead Air I recommend their rimfire can the Mask. However I think just about any mid-tier rimfire can is hard to beat.

I suggest buying through Silencershop.com through a FFL near you with a kiosk. They make the process super easy, and they are now doing E forms. I've heard of people getting their can in 45 days.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Personally I'd get the rifle can first if you can only pickup one. The Sandmans, Nomads, Surfires, and Ruggeds are all great cans, but if your on a tight budget look at YHM or Rex Silentium. On rifles I prefer short or k cans because no can is quiet on a rifle unless your talking 300blk subs.

On pistol cans I'd only get a .45 if your going to shoot .45! Keep in mind .45 cans are heavy and long even the ones that breakdown in length to a "k configuration " are still long. My obsidian 45 lives on my scorpion in "short configuration" I don't even own a .45 with a threaded barrel anymore.

If was to start over today I'd buy.
    .22. Rugged Oculus
    9mm Rugged Obsidian 9 or CGS Mod9-sk
    5.56. YHM turbo k or Rex mg7 .224
    .30 Deadair Nomad or Griffin Explorr 30 w/ the omega threads

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Personally I'd get the rifle can first if you can only pickup one. The Sandmans, Nomads, Surfires, and Ruggeds are all great cans, but if your on a tight budget look at YHM or Rex Silentium. On rifles I prefer short or k cans because no can is quiet on a rifle unless your talking 300blk subs.

On pistol cans I'd only get a .45 if your going to shoot .45! Keep in mind .45 cans are heavy and long even the ones that breakdown in length to a "k configuration " are still long. My obsidian 45 lives on my scorpion in "short configuration" I don't even own a .45 with a threaded barrel anymore.

If was to start over today I'd buy.
    .22. Rugged Oculus
    9mm Rugged Obsidian 9 or CGS Mod9-sk
    5.56. YHM turbo k or Rex mg7 .224
    .30 Deadair Nomad or Griffin Explorr 30 w/ the omega threads
    I can afford both depending on can cost working with about 1200-1500$ budget with tax cost. i think 30cal can and a 9mm can. I really want a scorpion so might go that route instead of 1911/ .45s again haha

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I got the .30 can but sucks I couldn’t do all the larger pistol rounds. I got it initially for 300bo deer rifle….. then the 350 legend came along. Oh well. I HATE wearing hearing protection when hunting…. Yes I know it is only one shot and all but I don’t want my ears ringing for 30 days after the hunt lol

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Actually seems with a thread adapter I could run the .358 size on 9mm and 5.56 and 308? All in 1 can with 1 extra adapter for direct thread or get some qd mounts?
    You could it would be perfect on a pcc you'd suffer a little on 5.56. It wouldn't work well on pistols though not even suppressor tall sights would clear the mg7 is bigger in diameter.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    You could it would be perfect on a pcc you'd suffer a little on 5.56. It wouldn't work well on pistols though not even suppressor tall sights would clear the mg7 is bigger in diameter.
    Ahhh ok didn’t think about size and sights. The length and weight isn’t bad. So what your saying is mg7 with some kind of mounts for my ARs and a rugged obsidian 9 for pistols and PCC.

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Ahhh ok didn’t think about size and sights. The length and weight isn’t bad. So what your saying is mg7 with some kind of mounts for my ARs and a rugged obsidian 9 for pistols and PCC.
    That's what I'd do. Look at Rearden mounts they're practically Q's plan b mounts, but cheaper and more options.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've often thought about getting a suppressor but with tax stamp plus the cost of the can, they would be more expensive than the guns I would be putting them on. Maybe if they drop down in price (I honestly don't know why they would cost more than a couple hundred bucks apiece), I might consider it. Until then, I'll continue to wear ear pro.

Signed,

A cheap bastard. :):

Top Bottom