Finding an electric can opener that works shouldn't be this hard...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It seems like electric can openers are getting more and more finicky, maybe because cans are being made to different specs?

My mom is 81 and cannot open a can to save her soul, whether it's with a hand crank or one of the two electric ones we have. She doesn't have the hand strength for a manual one, and it's sometimes difficult/impossible to get a can seated right in the electric ones.

I'm tired of spending money on can openers that don't work well. Does anyone know of a brand of electric can opener that works on all types/sizes of cans without a lot of finagling?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I thought i just lost my touch opening cans lately, we have had two different electric ones and 3 different manual ones in the last two years, and they all seemed to do a very poor job.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd like to know also. I HATE electric openers. I prefer the handheld. I have bought 7 (SEVEN) different ones ranging from $5 to $40 (not at Wal-Mart either) and the bearing seizes up in a very short time. I do not clean them other than to wipe it down.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Wow, vigilant, when you said expensive, you weren't kidding. I would actually pay a hundred bucks or so for one that actually worked. I will look more toward commercial ones and see if I can find a good deal on one.

Manual handheld is not going to work. I need electric.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The one we have can be a bit tricky to get it to engage properly. I thought it was just me. The good thing is, once you get the stupid thing to bite, it works pretty good. I'm sure we bought it at Walmart.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use the cheap battery powered ones that just sit on top of the can and spin in a circle. I get them at Menards on sale for $2.99.

They are a bit finicky because they have a magnetic safety switch that has to engage the top of the can. I opened up the casing and shorted those wires and the can opener has been PERFECT ever since.

They are also a bit "iffy" on #10 cans because the opener doesn't bridge across the entire can and as a result the knife doesn't engage properly. I can get it to work on #10 cans but I can't just set it and walk away, I have to hold the opener "up" so it doesn't push down in the middle and relieve pressure from the knife.

Other than the finicky magnetic switch I can honestly say this is the best can opener I've ever had and it cost less than $5. If you are interested, and aren't capable of shorting out the switch, PM me and I'll work something out to get it done for you.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I use the cheap battery powered ones that just sit on top of the can and spin in a circle. I get them at Menards on sale for $2.99.

They are a bit finicky because they have a magnetic safety switch that has to engage the top of the can. I opened up the casing and shorted those wires and the can opener has been PERFECT ever since.

They are also a bit "iffy" on #10 cans because the opener doesn't bridge across the entire can and as a result the knife doesn't engage properly. I can get it to work on #10 cans but I can't just set it and walk away, I have to hold the opener "up" so it doesn't push down in the middle and relieve pressure from the knife.

Other than the finicky magnetic switch I can honestly say this is the best can opener I've ever had and it cost less than $5. If you are interested, and aren't capable of shorting out the switch, PM me and I'll work something out to get it done for you.

I'll have to look into this. We used to have one of those that worked well, but when it crapped out, we couldn't find the same model. I appreciate the offer to work on the wiring also. I'll check Menard's website.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My mom's went out and she also had problems manipulating things due to her weak wrists. (she's super old too)
    I got her a Hamilton Beach #76606Z. It cuts the side of the cans and leaves part of the rim attached to the lid so it it's not as sharp. The lever to start it is very smooth and doesn't take much effort to get it going.

Only problem she has (sometimes) is after it's done opening, she has some difficulty getting a hold of the lid to make it pop off. She uses one of those "silicone jar opener twist off flappy things" and that works great.

I have noticed that if you don't use the whole contents of the can, you can put the top back on and throw it back in the fridge for a short time. Not spill proof but does pop back on kinda-ish. (someone will be along shortly to tell you that keeping cans in the fridge is unhealthy)

These are not that pricey at all. Her's has lasted for about 3 years. So far so good.

Can & Jar Openers | Kitchen Can & Jar Openers | Hamilton Beach Can & Jar Openers

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Lol to using a can opener to open a "pop-top" can...

I know it's silly but I would catch my mom prying those pop tops up with a knife because she wasn't strong enough to flip it up, let along pull the top off. Since the can opener cuts the side, it just bypasses the whole thing.

I'm not looking forward to getting old.......er. :nailbite:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I know it's silly but I would catch my mom prying those pop tops up with a knife because she wasn't strong enough to flip it up, let along pull the top off. Since the can opener cuts the side, it just bypasses the whole thing.

I'm not looking forward to getting old.......er. :nailbite:

My mom manages to pull the pop top off without opening the can half the time. Again, just not enough strength. Also, she's a lefty, which makes manual can openers even more difficult.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll have to look into this. We used to have one of those that worked well, but when it crapped out, we couldn't find the same model. I appreciate the offer to work on the wiring also. I'll check Menard's website.

I actually have an extra opener at home if you can't find one. I was going to keep it for a spare... no charge on shorting the wires, if you'll pay the $2.99 plus shipping (should fit in a padded mailer for $5 or less) I can take care of it for you. I will use it a few times to make sure there are no issues with it before I send it...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I actually have an extra opener at home if you can't find one. I was going to keep it for a spare... no charge on shorting the wires, if you'll pay the $2.99 plus shipping (should fit in a padded mailer for $5 or less) I can take care of it for you. I will use it a few times to make sure there are no issues with it before I send it...

That's so sweet of you. I'll look a bit more and see what I can find and will let you know.

Top Bottom