Finding an electric can opener that works shouldn't be this hard...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One thing about the side-cut openers that might be an issue is that we always have an open can of dog food in the fridge. (A couple of our dogs are on meds, and we use wet food to give pills with.) We use those plastic lids to cover the can, and those don't fit if the rim has been cut off. I'd also be afraid that she would cut herself handling the dog food can with the sharp edge on top.

So now that I think about it, I think a side-cutter is out. I'll just try to find a regular electric one that works well. If push comes to shove, I'll look at the commercial crank ones that attach to the counter. Hopefully those cranks are large enough for her to operate with her weak hand.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I too have also looking for an easy to use electric can opener. I have not found one yet. I can address the side cut opener though. I purchased a Kuhn Rikon side opening can opener a few months ago. Love it. Absolutely no sharp edges and I can put the lid back on the can as we to have opened cans of dog food for the same reason you stated. I found mine online for less than $20 on sale. Again, after you remove the lid from the can, you can reuse the lid for storage and it fits back on the can very well without sharp edges. Very safe to use.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I too have also looking for an easy to use electric can opener. I have not found one yet. I can address the side cut opener though. I purchased a Kuhn Rikon side opening can opener a few months ago. Love it. Absolutely no sharp edges and I can put the lid back on the can as we to have opened cans of dog food for the same reason you stated. I found mine online for less than $20 on sale. Again, after you remove the lid from the can, you can reuse the lid for storage and it fits back on the can very well without sharp edges. Very safe to use.

But the top of the can itself is sharp, and I can see my mom cutting herself getting dog food out of the bottom of the can. In fact, I think it's happened before.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    But the top of the can itself is sharp, and I can see my mom cutting herself getting dog food out of the bottom of the can. In fact, I think it's happened before.

Get her a couple of iced tea spoons. That way she can scoop out a piece of dog food without having to get her hand near the top of the can.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

The one I have doesn't leave any sharp edges because it doesn't cut anything. It separates the can from the lid where it's glued on. That's why I said i would no longer use one that cut I to the can.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    The one I have doesn't leave any sharp edges because it doesn't cut anything. It separates the can from the lid where it's glued on. That's why I said i would no longer use one that cut I to the can.

Exactly!!! The one I mentioned does not leave sharp edges. Separates the lid from the can where the lid is glued on the can. No metal cutting. No sharp edges.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, Snapdragon... my luck with electrics has been more miss than hit--tried several from $10-$40 over the years, and they all seem to fail within a couple or so years for one reason or another. :xmad:

That said, we have one of the Pampered Chef side-cutting openers and it does a great job, but it's a manual one. It doesn't leave any sharp edges at all, and the lid will fit (almost airtight) back on the can.

On the other hand, my Lodge has one of the big hand crank Edlunds that's been there for decades, and I've opened many cans with it. It's still good as new, and requires very little force to open even the toughest cans.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find one or more that actually work for you and your mom.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Same with the one I mentioned.
    Both the lid and the can have no sharp edges. I didn't want her anywhere near the old style sharp lids.

The side cutter spits the rim so it's left on the lid and can. Strange animal but I like it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, the results are in, and the winner is...

76606Z_zps832411fb.jpg

The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch. we've been using it for about a week. Very easy to operate. Just make sure that the handle is all the way up before trying to line up the can.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The top of the can itself folds back into the lid where the lid folds under. If you just cut through the lid part, the edge of the can that's exposed will not be sharp, it will be the fold. Since the lid itself is left intact, it will seat back onto the top and close up pretty well.

A cross section at the last stage of manufacture:
    T0007E08_zps2b1aa3c5.gif

Top Bottom