• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Since I already have a shotgun I’m at a shop now looking between a CZ 455 for $414 plus tax. Which can shoot .17 hmr .22WMR AND .22LR. Or a Marlin XT22 in .22 mag for $ 315. The CZ is a little more than I wanted to spend but new marlins concern me because they just aren’t the quality they used to be. Anyone have any options on these two firearms or experience?

The CZ is a good rifle. I prefer the older 452 but the 455 in lr would be ok in a pinch.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I do have an itch and I want to scratch it with Christmas cash! Seriously tho, I did get some money specifically to put towards a firearm. It was tough but I went with the marlin. Although I might end up purchasing the CZ at a later date. The marlin was about $110 cheaper plus has iron sight on it. I’m also teaching my fiancé to shoot and don’t have any type of .22 rifle and I can use it for late squirrel so I’ll have plenty of reason to use it. Thanks everyone. I’d be interested in any scope suggestions if anyone has any.

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats! Make sure you have it sighted in because head shots are going to be critical with 22Mag. I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 on my CZ and it is a very nice squirrel scope. I would suggest something similar from Leupold or even the Vortex Crossfire line. Cheaper scopes would serve you as well though I'm sure.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Congrats! Make sure you have it sighted in because head shots are going to be critical with 22Mag. I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 on my CZ and it is a very nice squirrel scope. I would suggest something similar from Leupold or even the Vortex Crossfire line. Cheaper scopes would serve you as well though I'm sure.

Thanks. I was looking on amazon because I have about $125 in gift cards. I came across a couple scopes that seem decent. One was a vortex crossfire II. I could also get something nicer from amazon and put it on my .450 BM and put the scope that’s on my .450 BM on the marlin.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am a avid squirrel hunter I use a Savage MKII .22 it has the unbelievable accutrigger with a BSA sweet.22 for late season. During the early season I use an old FIE single shot .410 that I received on my 8th birthday with 3 inch #4 shot.

BSA makes a Sweet .22 Mag scope as well they seem to work well and are made specially for a caliber. I would also suggest a red dot like the Bushnell TRS-25.
    Place red dot on squirrel and press trigger collect squirrel!

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Congrats! Make sure you have it sighted in because head shots are going to be critical with 22Mag. I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 on my CZ and it is a very nice squirrel scope. I would suggest something similar from Leupold or even the Vortex Crossfire line.
    Head shots with. 22 WMR are, indeed, a good idea. If you choose 40 grain solids (if it will shoot them well), they are a bit less destructive. Federal 50 grain HP work well and are accurate in a couple Magnums I have. Not as bad as the 30 grain plastic tipped fodder for damaging meat.

Scopes? Buy once, cry once. .22WMR will be easily effective out to 125 yds if it is an accurate rifle and you know your trajectory with a given bullet. 3-9x40 would be the minimum I'd put on it. Check Natchez Shooters Supply and SWFA. They both have refurbs and demo scopes, often at great prices.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    People who can't shoot hunt squirrels with shotguns. That's just icky.

Nothing icky about it. I admit I'm not that good of a shot. When I hunt, I hunt to kill. I'm a fan of using the most effective tool for the job. I've never understood why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on a rig to kill tree rats?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Nothing icky about it. I admit I'm not that good of a shot. When I hunt, I hunt to kill. I'm a fan of using the most effective tool for the job. I've never understood why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on a rig to kill tree rats?

Pride in ownership? Having the absolute best tool for the job? Because we can?
    Because we like eating tree rats without picking shot and hair out of our teeth?

Need more reasons?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ruger 10/22. It's the Lego of 22s.

I like the older Legos

7VSD4v8.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As for shotgun vs .22rf............either works.
    One IMHO has a bit more class though.

Let my M8 4X go with my #1 RSI
    Coulda used it on this thing (recent purchase).
    Total tear down, trigger job and clean tomorrow.

Maybe see how she shoots next week.

Top Bottom