• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A person close to me was down range, a guy dropped his weapon as it fell he one hand grabbed it pulled the trigger and grazed the side of my friends head. 5.56mm. He told me later nothing makes you want to be sure you are prayed up like being shot in the head.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a problem with the class being mandatory, it's unconstitutional.

I assume people have to pay to take the class and must pass a qualifying exam to get their carry permit.
    The government sets the standard for the class (and the price), it's clearly a form of infringement.

What if one day they decide that the class is $5,000 and that to qualify you must hit a one inch target from 50 yards away?

That will keep most people from owning a gun.

They could also decide one day that as a prerequisite for the class you need to take a medical exam (as it is in some countries), to make sure you're not "crazy".
    Maybe it could include an eye sight test, keeping even more people from owning a gun.

You can't compare it to getting a DL, owning a firearm is a constitutional right, driving isn't.

Of course people should get training, but when the government decides which kind of mandatory training you need then it becomes dangerous.

And not to mention that usually that mandatory training is crap.Sometimes no training is better than bad training.

"A safety class can't hurt"??? Yes it can, the guy got shot during a safety class! Clearly it can hurt.

The government telling you what training you need in order to exercice your constitutional rights is dangerous.

"shall not be infringed" is pretty clear.

:twocents:

...if only more of our citizens were as well-informed and well-reasoned as you...

Next time you come here I will buy you a drink(s) and a ticket to the Indianapolis 500...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A person close to me was down range, a guy dropped his weapon as it fell he one hand grabbed it pulled the trigger and grazed the side of my friends head. 5.56mm. He told me later nothing makes you want to be sure you are prayed up like being shot in the head.

Been there, done that. It's not fun. If you aren't prayed up before hand, you sure try to stay so afterwards.

30D5bbb.jpg

Me in the 80's. 38 Special left a nice part in my hair.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Been there, done that. It's not fun. If you aren't prayed up before hand, you sure try to stay so afterwards.

30D5bbb.jpg

Me in the 80's. 38 Special left a nice part in my hair.

Wow you got him beat, his is along the side of his forehead about a 4" long scare. Forehead along temple to top of ear area.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Wow. His was close.

I have no scar. The bullet actually singed the hair down to my scalp.

Short version is my best friend and his friend found a revolver in the parents room. They opened the cylinder and shook it. 5 rounds came out just like my friends dad's revolver. Well it was a six shot. When I came out of the bathroom, he was standing right there and had just planned on scaring me. When he pulled the trigger, it went bang instead of click. The muzzle was less than 36" from my face I think. It's only by the grace of God that I'm here today.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wow. His was close.

I have no scar. The bullet actually singed the hair down to my scalp.

Short version is my best friend and his friend found a revolver in the parents room. They opened the cylinder and shook it. 5 rounds came out just like my friends dad's revolver. Well it was a six shot. When I came out of the bathroom, he was standing right there and had just planned on scaring me. When he pulled the trigger, it went bang instead of click. The muzzle was less than 36" from my face I think. It's only by the grace of God that I'm here today.

He said he didn't even feel it at the time. He said a medic ran over to him looking at him and then he felt the blood running down his face. Needless to say a few people got an ass chewing.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    MANDATORY state firearms SAFETY instructor points a loaded gun at a student, with his finger on the trigger, knowing the muzzle was covering the student, then proceeds to pull the trigger.

Why is he not going to prison for attempted murder? That's not an accident. He had to violate all 4 safety rules to accomplish this feat, that is attempted murder.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There are only 3 laws of robotics! That is until Daneel Olivaw formulated the Zeroth Law: Because any gun could be loaded treat all guns as if they are loaded at all times and observe the other three laws.

0. Treat all guns as if they were loaded.
    1. Keep all guns pointed in a safe direction.
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target.
    3. Know your target and what is beyond your target.

You see without Zeroth Law there is no reason to observe the other ones.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There are only 3 laws of robotics! That is until Daneel Olivaw formulated the Zeroth Law: Because any gun could be loaded treat all guns as if they are loaded at all times and observe the other three laws.

If you observe the other three, the zero law is redundant.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why Observe the other three if the first is not true?

Because...

Why?

Because...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I heard some instructors say "Don't point your gun at anything you're not willing to kill, destroy or buy", instead of "point it in a safe direction".

A direction can still be "safe", meaning if the gun were to go off nobody would be hurt, but if it's pointed at your neighbor's truck you're still paying for it in case you shoot it by accident.

I think it makes you think about muzzle awareness more than just looking at safe (not pointing at fellow human) or unsafe (pointed at fellow human) directions.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    MANDATORY state firearms SAFETY instructor points a loaded gun at a student, with his finger on the trigger, knowing the muzzle was covering the student, then proceeds to pull the trigger.

Why is he not going to prison for attempted murder? That's not an accident. He had to violate all 4 safety rules to accomplish this feat, that is attempted murder.
    Negligent? Yes!
    Stupid as f**k? Yes!
    Attemped murder? NO!

Top Bottom