• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Going to high school, I hear these "term" mess ups all the time. People don't understand magazine vs. clip, bullet vs cartridge. I hear that AK-47 is the best gun out there. Most people get these ideas from the video games they play, and I understand that.

I even heard someone tell me that .22s are illegal to shoot in Indiana. After telling him that I have shot them at several ranges, and there are competitions for .22s, he still didn't believe me. He proceeded to tell me that if i am shooting .22s then I must be too scared to shoot anything bigger. LOL :laugh:
    AKs are the best gun out there....................................................................................

:D

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I don't mean that, I mean when someone calls a Magazine a clip. Things like that.
    Incorrect terminology is more a minor annoyance. To be sure, as with mistakes in spelling and grammar, one can usually get away with such things among friends since they know what you mean. It helps on those occasions when corrections are offered that they know the reason why was to keep it within the context of correcting inaccuracies spread by the media and/or those hostile to the RKBA.

One of the bigger ones for me is the continuous use of the term "assault" to describe an object's appearance, and the blurring of the distinction between semi and fully automatic functions. Sometimes it's done by gun owners, collectors, buyers and even sellers. For example, the guy who wants to impress his friends claiming he has one or more "assault" rifles (you know, the kind that take "high cap" mags). Then it turns out it's an AR, AK or other in semi only.

Note: If it is a Title II rifle, depending on your audience and how knowledgeable they are, sometimes best not to use the term "machine gun" anyway, unless it is a belt-fed fully automatic weapon, which would be accurate.

The biggest one of all, having more serious long-term implications, is the inability to distinguish between a right and a (licensed) privilege. This is exemplified on gun forums of all places, by some who proudly brag about their handgun permission slip (LTCH, CHL, CPL, doesn't matter), or - on the federal level - their approved Form 4 (sometimes trying to rub it in the faces of those residing in states where their rights are even more infringed or statutorily prohibited outright), and then absurdly claim they still have a right to keep and/or bear arms.

There are other examples also, often prefaced with the obligatory, "I'm a strong supporter of / firm believer in the 2nd Amendment [or RKBA], but ... " followed by post after post openly advocating or defending statutory infringements on the right of the people to keep and/or bear arms, usually on the grounds of "public safety". If this is allowed to continue through another generation, it may well prove nearly impossible to repeal such statutory infringements, especially if the public at large allows their right - the very concept of a right - to be redefined for them by "modern scholars" seeking a "new paradigm". The right to bear arms will have become a permanently licensed privilege, conditionally granted by bureaucrats of the State upon application, submission of personal private information and meeting of prerequisite criteria, such license to be carried on one's person and made available for inspection on demand by officers of the State. (and one is subject to arrest, fines and/or imprisonment for failure to have one's papers in order.)

People won't fight for a right they think they already have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Incorrect terminology is more a minor annoyance. To be sure, as with mistakes in spelling and grammar, one can usually get away with such things among friends since they know what you mean. It helps on those occasions when corrections are offered that they know the reason why was to keep it within the context of correcting inaccuracies spread by the media and/or those hostile to the RKBA.

One of the bigger ones for me is the continuous use of the term "assault" to describe an object's appearance, and the blurring of the distinction between semi and fully automatic functions. Sometimes it's done by gun owners, collectors, buyers and even sellers. For example, the guy who wants to impress his friends claiming he has one or more "assault" rifles (you know, the kind that take "high cap" mags). Then it turns out it's an AR, AK or other in semi only.

Note: If it is a Title II rifle, depending on your audience and how knowledgeable they are, sometimes best not to use the term "machine gun" anyway, unless it is a belt-fed fully automatic weapon, which would be accurate.

The biggest one of all, having more serious long-term implications, is the inability to distinguish between a right and a (licensed) privilege. This is exemplified on gun forums of all places, by some who proudly brag about their handgun permission slip (LTCH, CHL, CPL, doesn't matter), or - on the federal level - their approved Form 4 (sometimes trying to rub it in the faces of those residing in states where their rights are even more infringed or statutorily prohibited outright), and then absurdly claim they still have a right to keep and/or bear arms.

There are other examples also, often prefaced with the obligatory, "I'm a strong supporter of / firm believer in the 2nd Amendment [or RKBA], but ... " followed by post after post openly advocating or defending statutory infringements on the right of the people to keep and/or bear arms, usually on the grounds of "public safety". If this is allowed to continue through another generation, it may well prove nearly impossible to repeal such statutory infringements, especially if the public at large allows their right - the very concept of a right - to be redefined for them by "modern scholars" seeking a "new paradigm". The right to bear arms will have become a permanently licensed privilege, conditionally granted by bureaucrats of the State upon application, submission of personal private information and meeting of prerequisite criteria, such license to be carried on one's person and made available for inspection on demand by officers of the State. (and one is subject to arrest, fines and/or imprisonment for failure to have one's papers in order.)

You sure serioused up this thread:D

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    -anything referred to as "assault" like assault weapon, assault clip, etc.

-5.56x45 is designed to wound, not kill. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who was in Iraq or Afghanistan that couldn't kill BGs with point black temple shots with 5.56x45, but 7.62x39 chambered AKs are anti-tank weapons

-unsafe weapons handling (guys at the 1500 with shotguns over the back, muzzle faces behind them)

-A 7.62 is a 7.62, like what is your AK chambered in? 7.62. What is your M1A chambered in? 7.62

-anybody at a gun shop that tells females that they can only handle a .22 LR chambered small handgun because even a 9 mm is too much for their fragile hands.

-Pump shotgun cha-chinks have the effect of making bad guys **** themselves then curl up in the fetal position.

I'm sure there's more that I'm not recalling.

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Video gamers who think they know crap about guns by pressing buttons on a controller. That ticks me off greatly. Shooters are marketed to too young of children.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    One that sticks out in my mind is a kid I worked with several years ago from wyoming.

we were talking guns and he comes up and wants to join the conversation so he starts telling how he shot a goose at 1000 yards yea I said 1000 not 100 and he accomplished this feat with an sks rifle with open sights.

I told him we are all b sing each other here but your bs has to be believable.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    You sure serioused up this thread:D
    The lighter side is more fun, but I'm told I have no future in stand-up comedy. :dunno: :D
    Actually have a fairly lengthy list, mostly terms used in print and broadcast media. Gunowner930 and several others already covered some of them.

ETA:
    (not all-inclusive, and depending on how it is used)

"automatic"
    "high-powered"
    "high-capacity"
    "assault ___ " (used as a noun)
    "armor-piercing"
    "banana clip"
    "spray-fire from the hip"
    "cop-killer"
    "rocket launcher"
    "gun show loophole"
    "unlicensed dealer"
    "militia"
    "compound"
    "stockpile"
    "trafficking"
    "the courts have repeatedly ruled!"
    "the founding fathers could not have foreseen ..."
    "have no place in ..."
    "our society"
    "the authorities" (said in arrogant, condescending tone)
    "convicted felons and the mentally ill"
    "right to feel safe from gun violence"
    "compelling state interest"
    "only the police and military should ..."
    "on the streets"
    "off the streets"
    "in our schools"
    "the children"

Last edited:

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Calling a semi-auto an "assult rifle".
    Calling cheap guns "saturday night specials".
    Calling mags, "clips".
    Pictures or real people with their finger on or in the trigger guard while not in the act of shooting.
    Shooting without hearing protection.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've always been pretty anal about terminology, as well as grammar and spelling. May be a little aspergian, not sure. It frustrates me that my son refuses to distinguish between clips and magazines, but I have enough CDO* that I'll wear him down.

*CDO is like OCD but in alphabetical order, the way it should be.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

wow, now I'm depressed... I guess I'll go clean my assault weapons and hi-cap clips now....:D

In all Seriousness MTC is correct, we do need to educate people on the difference between a right and a privilege!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Someone is going to say external safeties on handguns. I can feel it. :popcorn:

I'm cool with external safeties- it's the internal ones on a couple of my Smiths that I do not like. :laugh:

I guess the only one peeve I have is the Saiga 12. Folks, if you buy a Saiga, call it whatever you like. I will always call my Saiga (say-guh) and not a Sigh-gah. I don't care what the Russians call it, when they pay for mine I will pronounce it as they wish. Till then, it's a Say-Guh to me:D

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I guess you could also say that Americans pronounce "Beretta" wrong.I found that it's quite hard for Americans to pronounce the Italian "R".

What bothers me the most is the "clip" vs "magazine", "bullet" vs "round" or "cartridge" etc .
    Another pet peeve, is more a safety thing.It always bothers me to see pictures of people with guns and their finger on the trigger.
    Of course it's actually dangerous if the person next to me has bad trigger discipline but just seeing it on picture, in magazines or in movies, just makes me want to slap the person's face to teach him/her gun safety.

Also I dont like when people call a magazine a "high capacity" magazine, when it's the standard magazine that comes with the gun.It's not HIGH, it's NORMAL or STANDARD.
    A Glock 17 has a 17 rounds magazine, not "high cap", a 10 rounds mag for the Glock 17 (in non-free states) is a LOW cap magazine but I dont know what's HIGH cap is.
    The 33 rounds Glock mag is STANDARD too since it comes standard with the Glock 18.

Everything listed here! :rockwoot:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    One that sticks out in my mind is a kid I worked with several years ago from wyoming.
    we were talking guns and he comes up and wants to join the conversation so he starts telling how he shot a goose at 1000 yards yea I said 1000 not 100 and he accomplished this feat with an sks rifle with open sights.

I know that guy.
    When he was 19, he did a goose in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind.
    Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing he was ever good at.

:twocents:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    wow, now I'm depressed... I guess I'll go clean my assault weapons and hi-cap clips now....:D
    I do believe I spy in your avatar a "shoulder thing that goes up" and something that "protrudes conspicuously" from that bullet-spraying baby-killing high-powered death-dealing assault sniper machinegun that the founding fathers could not possibly have envisioned, and that has no place in our society, on our streets, or "in the hands of civilians". :D

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When people do that tacti-cool overly exaggerated scan thing...like a little kid preparing to cross the street. I just don't get it.

Oh, and when people stick a pen or something in the trigger guard to take a photo. I hate that!

Top Bottom