• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was going to ask the same question. Law seems too leniant for people who posses firearms illegally. Specially near schools.

The way I read it is that if you have a LTCH you will be charged with a misdemeanor if you are actually carrying on the school property. If the gun is locked in your car you won't be charged with anything.

If you don't have a LTCH you will still be charged with a felony, because you are carrying without a LTCH.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So you want people carrying firearms around your children while at school who aren't legally licensed to do so?

:dunno:

Short anweser yes. 2A is clear on NO RESTRICTIONS and that means NO RESTRICTIONS. Same like 1A. I may not like the fact that some yahoo can get on stage and say the KKK is the best thing since slice bread and all people who are not white should leave town ABC. I may not like the fact that a war protestor can burn my US FLAG while we have our boys/girls out on the other side of the world dieing but that is that yahoo's right.

Same with 2A. We can't just pick and choose which group or which rights we want to have/protect. It does not work that way. That woudl be hyprocritical.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    This is too good to be true.
    The law now is a catch 22.
    If you have a handgun, there is NO LEGAL WAY for you to get out of your car and visit a teacher or principal.
    This is a BIG step in the right direction.

Obviously, I would much prefer that I could carry like anywhere else, but this eliminates a glaring impossibility in carry for parents that are school age.

Who authored that bill?
    Was it Eric Koch?
    Because I discussed this with him last year.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR be careful on your words. The media will say you are advocating violence like S. Palin ya know. ;) One should have said....

We need to use the election process to vote in a legislator that will use common sense when dealing with gun laws. :n00b:
    I recognize your purple sarcasm, but I stand by my words. If I meant harm should be made to befall such people as Sen. Wyss, I'd have said so.

I do not like the positions Mr. Wyss has advocated in re: firearms and their carry. I do not consider him to be a good American when speaking of this issue. All of that said, in no way do I advocate anyone intentionally doing him (or anyone else) harm, physical or otherwise over an issue of the legislative process.

The only people against whom I advocate violence being done are those who are actively doing or threatening violence in the form of an immediate threat. Most of the time, such acts or threats are unlawful. The response to it is not; it is lawful and proper self-defense or defense of another.

As I said, I stand by my words.

Blessings,
    Bill

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Short anweser yes. 2A is clear on NO RESTRICTIONS and that means NO RESTRICTIONS. Same like 1A. I may not like the fact that some yahoo can get on stage and say the KKK is the best thing since slice bread and all people who are not white should leave town ABC. I may not like the fact that a war protestor can burn my US FLAG while we have our boys/girls out on the other side of the world dieing but that is that yahoo's right.

Same with 2A. We can't just pick and choose which group or which rights we want to have/protect. It does not work that way. That woudl be hyprocritical.

Obviously the 2nd Amendment isn't that clear.. if so, why do we have so many restrictions?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Firearms on school property. Makes unlawful possession of a firearm: (1) in or on school property; (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or (3) on a school bus; a Class A misdemeanor instead of a Class D felony. Provides that the law concerning unlawful possession of a firearm in or on school property or in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function does not apply to a person who may legally possess a firearm, possesses a valid license to carry a handgun, is not a student enrolled in the school, and stores a firearm: (1) in a motor vehicle that is parked in or on school property or parked in or on property that is being used by the school for a school function; and (2) that is locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the locked motor vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the locked motor vehicle[/quote]

This is too good to be true.
    The law now is a catch 22.
    If you have a handgun, there is NO LEGAL WAY for you to get out of your car and visit a teacher or principal.
    This is a BIG step in the right direction.

Obviously, I would much prefer that I could carry like anywhere else, but this eliminates a glaring impossibility in carry for parents that are school age.

Who authored that bill?
    Was it Eric Koch?
    Because I discussed this with him last year.

How do you figure there's no legal way to exit the car and visit a school official? Locked in the glove compartment would work... So would locked in a vehicle safe, such as this:
    s7_228564_999_01
    , and for that matter, so would "stuffed under the seat", so long as the vehicle is locked.

IIRC, this is a Senate bill, so no, Rep. Koch was not the author.

Blessings,
    Bill

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    The way I read it is that if you have a LTCH you will be charged with a misdemeanor if you are actually carrying on the school property. If the gun is locked in your car you won't be charged with anything.

If you don't have a LTCH you will still be charged with a felony, because you are carrying without a LTCH.

I bet you, at the Kroger when I take my kids shopping for food, or at the Walmart, people conceal carry. It's the same difference. I wish ALL teachers had the right to conceal carry in the classroom.

The second ammendment, shouldn't have restrictions. Hell could break loose, even in church.

There is a difference with someone who carries for protection and is legally binded to that weapon, that someone who possed one illegaly. They are more likely to draw the weapon and fire, than the licensed gun owner with permission to carry.

I don't know too much about the mystic behind the fear of guns around children, but they are around them more than you think.

So IN Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Evansville
    I think this is a big step in the right direction. Sure it is still not the way it should be. Who do we need to contact to help get this through? Links?

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    This is a very sensitive subject. I'd like to apologize to anyone I've offended. I'm new here, and don't want to start bad blood with my opinions. You guys are respectful, and very knowledgeable about these things. I'm glad I could learn from you.

I purchased my first gun today, waiting for it to clear. I've never owned a gun in my life, but I'm am a certified lethal weapon. Should I be left in the car as well? I wrote this on another post, and it'll remain true forever. When the intent to kill engulfs someone, any killing device suffice. Not only firearms. Should we ban belts, shoelaces, pens and pencils from being brought into school grounds?

It is a step in the right direction, you just need to make it to your car alive. But I'm honestly talking worst case scenario. That kind of stuff doesn't happen frequently here. Do you believe a kindergadener brought a gun to school in NYC? Now that's some scarry s**t.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Hell could break loose, even in church.
    :yesway:

I hope this bill passes. Some schools are way out in the country and there is NO place to park off-property. It'd be nice to be able to leave home with my gun, go shopping, go to school, and then go out to eat, as opposed to having to do all of that unarmed.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    If you have been deemed an eligible, responsible, citizen, that uses good judgement I believe you should CC or OC your handgun. When I worked in the alarm business as a kid, we would install decoy cameras. All they had was a double A battery to power the red light. You think someone would start something crazy if they see you have a 1911 .45 cal. ACP on your hip? Or if they are unsure if you are carrying concealed?

One thing I totally agree with, is if you have a history of violent crimes, then you waive your second amendment rights. And controvertially, people with mental instability. Maybe they can incorporate the same psycologica screening they do with policemen. This gun business is complex.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Firearms on school property. Makes unlawful possession of a firearm: (1) in or on school property; (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or (3) on a school bus; a Class A misdemeanor instead of a Class D felony. Provides that the law concerning unlawful possession of a firearm in or on school property or in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function does not apply to a person who may legally possess a firearm, possesses a valid license to carry a handgun, is not a student enrolled in the school, and stores a firearm: (1) in a motor vehicle that is parked in or on school property or parked in or on property that is being used by the school for a school function; and (2) that is locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the locked motor vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the locked motor vehicle

How do you figure there's no legal way to exit the car and visit a school official? Locked in the glove compartment would work... So would locked in a vehicle safe, such as this:
    s7_228564_999_01
    , and for that matter, so would "stuffed under the seat", so long as the vehicle is locked.

IIRC, this is a Senate bill, so no, Rep. Koch was not the author.

Blessings,
    Bill

He meant the law as it stands NOW does not leave you any way to get out of the car. This proposed one does.

Don't worry, I had to read it twice too.

That is why this law is such a big deal. For those of us who carry all the time, we don't always have the ability to know when we might have to go to a school and get out of our car. This law protects good well meaning people from being forced into committing a felony. Also, reducing it down to a misdemeanor for those who DO carry into a school helps because of all the crazy things that count as schools that can get someone (trying their best to follow the laws) in trouble.

For example, my daughter spent a year playing soccer at an indoor soccer facility. Roughly 11 months later I realize they have a preschool there tucked away behind one of the fields where you couldn't even tell it existed. No signs, no nothing. Now I am not saying that I was carrying there during those 11 months ;) but should I really have been guilty of a felony if I had??? Remember, our gun-free school laws are STRICT LIABILITY! Me not knowing there was a school there was not a valid defense in court.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    So is this law? Or pending legislation?

Until this law is in effect, or before it was, how would anyone know you left your piece in your vehicle? Are police allowed to search your vehicle without warrant? I thought it was only if you were under suspicion of being a terrorist.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Until this law is in effect, or before it was, how would anyone know you left your piece in your vehicle? Are police allowed to search your vehicle without warrant? I thought it was only if you were under suspicion of being a terrorist.

Proposed legislation.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

It is a State Senate Bill that is currently in committee.

It would be quite plausible to imagine that someone might see you unholster your firearm and place it in your glove box or safe before entering a school. That would be enough for police to search your car.

Mostly, does it matter? Why should I have to commit a felony if I go to pick up my kids from school and for some reason I have to unexpectedly exit my vehicle?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Maybe they can incorporate the same psycologica screening they do with policemen. This gun business is complex.

Whoaoh RED FLAG HERE!

Nobody should have to submit themselves to mental screening to exercise a fundamental human right.

Now if you prove yourself to be so mentally unstable that you are a danger to yourself and/or others... then by all means act on that. But the burden of proof should be on the government. They should have to prove that someone is insane... I shouldn't have to prove that I AM sane.

Talk like that is scary stuff. The last thing we want is the government screening us to determine if we are sane. After all, a good number of people in office would automatically categorize anyone wanting to carry a gun as deranged and unstable.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

These was a law suit where some guy left his gun in the car where it could be seen. Someone saw it, reported it and he now has a felony.

Can anyone remember that guys name?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm in for it, At least when I pick up my daughter, I can have the gun in the truck rather than at home. (Shorter distance to run if zombies appear.)

Under CURRENT Indiana Law you can take your firearm with you to pick up your child @ the school SO LONG AS

1) You are driving your vehicle **AND**
    2) You stay INSIDE your vehicle **AND**
    3) Have an LTCH if the firearm is a handgun

So if you are picking up or dropping off your child you CURRENT can LEGALLY take your firearm into the "gun free school zone" for just that AND ONLY that.

The problem is right now if you have to enter the school & you have a firearm with you. You must drive off the school property and find parking on a public street or public/private parking lot, leave your firearm in the vehicle and then walk your happy butt back to the school to enter the "gun free school zone" since you are no longer in your "magical bubble" of a vehicle. :faint:

Top Bottom