• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Now that my HVAC needs will be squared away (thank you Churchmouse!) I am looking to buy a wood burning fireplace insert. I have it narrowed down to a few brands (Pacific Energy, Enviro, Napoleon) but need some recommendations on a company to sell and install the insert. A Google and Yellow Pages search has yieled a list of companies but is short on quailty recommendations. This will be for the Boone County area, so any place from Indy to Lafayette is in consideration.

Price is a major factor in this project, but craftsmanship and integrity are major factors as well.

I am looking for a company that can sell and install the insert as well as deal with routine maintenance and any warranty issues. So, if you've bought an insert recenlty and are happy with the results, please pass along the name and number of the company.

If this violates any INGO rules, please PM your recommendations.

Thank you! :ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    tagging for interest. Considering adding a wood burning stove (free standing) to the house. I'm sure the recommendations will overlap.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We got ours at Godby. It is a Quadrafire, so not on your current list. They were extremely helpful, and the install into our current masonry fireplace went smoothly. We have only had this one since last February, but we LOVE it. With the blower on, it will heat the whole house. We actually haven't turned on our gas furnace yet this year. Just running the blower to circulate air.

Other options here in Indy are Duncan's (west 38th) and O'Malias (Carmel). Both seem to be pricier, and Duncan's was anything BUT helpful the 3 times we stopped in.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    tagging for interest. Considering adding a wood burning stove (free standing) to the house. I'm sure the recommendations will overlap.

From my research, this is accurate as most of the manufactures make inserts and free standing.

We got ours at Godby. It is a Quadrafire, so not on your current list. They were extremely helpful, and the install into our current masonry fireplace went smoothly. We have only had this one since last February, but we LOVE it. With the blower on, it will heat the whole house. We actually haven't turned on our gas furnace yet this year. Just running the blower to circulate air.

Other options here in Indy are Duncan's (west 38th) and O'Malias (Carmel). Both seem to be pricier, and Duncan's was anything BUT helpful the 3 times we stopped in.

I've heard good things about Godby as well as Quadra Fire. For some reason, the design of the Quadra's didn't do much for me is why it's not on my short list. I found nothing but bad reviews on Duncan's so I doubt I will be visiting their store.

What has attracted me to the Pacific Energy is the way thier firebox is designed. Even if the blower is not running, it will still draw air from below the insert, run it over the firebox and blow it out the top of the insert. From my research, this is unique to Pacific Energy.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd look at Blaze King. I have an old school BK Princess insert, and it is a badaxx. The new ones have catalysts, and are the most efficient stoves you can get.

There is a dealer in Columbus, but I don't know anything about them.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Can't help with dealers/installers in your area, but back in 08 I got a Lopi Freedom Bay insert installed with a SS liner, top plate, storm collar & cap with bird screen removed my old damper, and installed back plate around the insert. Back then it cost around $2300. My wife only likes to heat with wood now, she loves it.

If you haven't already please check out Hearth.com. Lots of good info on that web sight.

Hearth.com Forums Home

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Can't help with dealers/installers in your area, but back in 08 I got a Lopi Freedom Bay insert installed with a SS liner, top plate, storm collar & cap with bird screen removed my old damper, and installed back plate around the insert. Back then it cost around $2300. My wife only likes to heat with wood now, she loves it.

If you haven't already please check out Hearth.com. Lots of good info on that web sight.

Hearth.com Forums Home

Nice stove you have there, the Lopi's seem to have a good reputation. I think they're a few more dollars now.

Did you insulate the SS liner?

+1 to hearth.com I've found some good info there...

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    No.. the dealer did it all. That price was for every thing they did. I love heating with wood, it's just a different type of heat. I only use my gas furnace as a back up.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I'd look at Blaze King. I have an old school BK Princess insert, and it is a badaxx. The new ones have catalysts, and are the most efficient stoves you can get.

There is a dealer in Columbus, but I don't know anything about them.

I will check them out, i'm surprised they didn't come up as much in my search for inserts.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    No.. the dealer did it all. That price was for every thing they did. I love heating with wood, it's just a different type of heat. I only use my gas furnace as a back up.

We had an insert at our last house and it heated the heck out of that place! I'm looking forward to having a fire in the near future. :)

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I'm tagging for interest too, as next year I will need to get an insert for our fireplace. It seems like good fireplace places are few and far in between.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I just bought a regency h2100 insert. If u are with REMC for electric (I'm with Johnson county)
    you can get a 1500 dollar rebate on swapping out your old unit or even if you
    just have a fireplace insert like I do. I bought it from economy fireplace in Elletsville
    looks like a great little unit and has good reviews.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've heard good things about Godby as well as Quadra Fire. For some reason, the design of the Quadra's didn't do much for me is why it's not on my short list. I found nothing but bad reviews on Duncan's so I doubt I will be visiting their store.

What has attracted me to the Pacific Energy is the way thier firebox is designed. Even if the blower is not running, it will still draw air from below the insert, run it over the firebox and blow it out the top of the insert. From my research, this is unique to Pacific Energy.

The QuadraFire will do a LITTLE convection heating. I'll probably pick up one of those little hear-powered fans to move a little air w/o electricity. I'll tell you though, once the brick fireplace warms up, the blower isn't needed at all. We choke the fire down to the minimum.

The only thing I don't like about the QuadraFire is the location of the "exhaust" to the flue. It is at the front of the firebox. I know that it helps keep the glass clean, but it also lets a lot of smoke into the room when opening the door. Other manufacturers do the same thing, though. The work-around is to keep the fire pretty hot before you open the door, too let it draw cooler air from the room when you SLOWLY open the door up.

I suppose I should post a pic:
    attachment.php

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had the Quadrafire in the house since it was built in 2010, furnace never runs, 3200 feet of living space. Purchased it from Economy Fireplace in Elletsville. Only issue I can think of is that you have to split your wood down to what I call stovewood size, about the length and thickness of my forearm.:)

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you are anywhere close to surrounding Lafayette area, I would give a A fires Place a call.
    435 Farabee Dr, Lafayette, IN 47905 · (765) 446-9495

I used them a few years back and got a Jotul 450 Kennebec.
    Other than mine being the 2 door older model, this is what I got and it's great.
    It full and easy control of the combustion air with a simple lever on the front.

Jøtul C 450 Kennebec - Fireplace Inserts - Products | Jøtul

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've got a Pacific Energy Vista insert that I LOVE!!!!! The guy who installed it is out of biz, so now I use RT's Fireplace shop (Plainfield) for anything I need-which I will say has only been advise so far. Props to PE!

I sweep my own liner every year and burn good dry wood which is the key with these new EPA stoves. Do that, and you wont need maintenance from a pro.

Instead of hearth.com, try here Firewood Hoarder's Club Forums. I used to be on hearth, so I can DEFINETLY say this place is where an INGO guy wants to be--this FHC place was started because the mods on hearth were monitoring PM's and such. Deleting posts for no reason, etc. No gun talk on hearth either...not even a pic in an avatar! ......a quick banhammer will follow.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The new ones have catalysts, and are the most efficient stoves you can get.

I haven't looked at the EPA data in a while but I don't believe that is true...

Either way, I'm not a big fan of the catalytic stoves. The cat's have to replaced every few years and the optimum burn style of a cat stove doesn't match most people's preferred burn patterns...

I have a Kozyheat zero-clearance fireplace. It works excellent without the blower, I also use my HVAC blower to circulate the heat better. I've been burning for 5 years now and LOVE it. I heat most of my 4k sf house 100% with wood. I got it from the fireplace center in Bloomington. VERY TOP NOTCH place...

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I haven't looked at the EPA data in a while but I don't believe that is true...

Either way, I'm not a big fan of the catalytic stoves. The cat's have to replaced every few years and the optimum burn style of a cat stove doesn't match most people's preferred burn patterns...

I have a Kozyheat zero-clearance fireplace. It works excellent without the blower, I also use my HVAC blower to circulate the heat better. I've been burning for 5 years now and LOVE it. I heat most of my 4k sf house 100% with wood. I got it from the fireplace center in Bloomington. VERY TOP NOTCH place...

I agree...a CAT stove isn't for everyone. ESPECIALLY if you aren't into seasoning split and stacked wood for a year+ minimum. To get the full benefits of a CAT, wood has to be 20% moisture or under. Preferably under. Not to mention, replacing them costs $. Don't get me wrong, an EPA stove likes dry wood too, but its not gonna get all jacked up if your wood isn't primo.

My insert has a blower which is a MUST if you ask me. It makes all the difference in the world. I can see on a free standing stove where it may not bee AS much of a need/ benefit but since the insert is crammed into a fireplace, a blower is needed to get the heat out into the room, instead of up the chase and chimney.

Top Bottom