• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mikegreer1956

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2023
    East TN U. S. A.
    Hello, just wanted to say hi and thanks for letting me in.
    Owning (dare I say it) a "sporterized" Arisaka 99 it gets cold and lonely in the Arisaka pages.
    In my defense I didn't sporterize it. It was given to me by someone that said you could stand in a room, fire five shots and not hit the same wall twice. And he was right. I found it had been converted to 30-06. So I loaded some 30-06 with .311 bullets and it was fine, except for the crudely mounted aftermarket sights.
    I Fired a bunch of high power 30-06 (50,000 to 60,000psi) with no problems.
    When I rebarreled to 7.7 Jap, several on an Arisaka page told me I couldn't reload it more than 45,000psi.
    So hello, I'm here. I just rebarreled to 7.7, bedded the action, floated the barrel and shut my eyes and fired a round to check headspace. ( Don't say anything I know but I'm old and it doesn't matter anymore. ) Brass checked out very good.
    So this is my warning shot..... Beware and thanks.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Hello, just wanted to say hi and thanks for letting me in.
    Owning (dare I say it) a "sporterized" Arisaka 99 it gets cold and lonely in the Arisaka pages.
    In my defense I didn't sporterize it. It was given to me by someone that said you could stand in a room, fire five shots and not hit the same wall twice. And he was right. I found it had been converted to 30-06. So I loaded some 30-06 with .311 bullets and it was fine, except for the crudely mounted aftermarket sights.
    I Fired a bunch of high power 30-06 (50,000 to 60,000psi) with no problems.
    When I rebarreled to 7.7 Jap, several on an Arisaka page told me I couldn't reload it more than 45,000psi.
    So hello, I'm here. I just rebarreled to 7.7, bedded the action, floated the barrel and shut my eyes and fired a round to check headspace. ( Don't say anything I know but I'm old and it doesn't matter anymore. ) Brass checked out very good.
    So this is my warning shot..... Beware and thanks.
    welcome @mikegreer1956 ! i understood little to none of what you just said, but from what iv seen since iv been here, you have found the right place. i would recommend you check out the reloading forums if you have any interest in the specific requirements for that arisaka 99 w/ conversion and gunsmithing forums if you want some input on the barrel replacement and its capabilities.

mikegreer1956

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2023
    East TN U. S. A.
    welcome @mikegreer1956 ! i understood little to none of what you just said, but from what iv seen since iv been here, you have found the right place. i would recommend you check out the reloading forums if you have any interest in the specific requirements for that arisaka 99 w/ conversion and gunsmithing forums if you want some input on the barrel replacement and its capabilities.
    Thanks, been looking around.. I like it here.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    We luvs us some warning shots! (Check the best-of archive).

Welcome!

(PS - the INGO-agreed method is strap it to an old tire, then tie a string to the trigger. You'll thank me for this).

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    We luvs us some warning shots! (Check the best-of archive).

Welcome!

(PS - the INGO-agreed method is strap it to an old tire, then tie a string to the trigger. You'll thank me for this).
    lol, i need to post a video if thats possible. back in the day i tactically acquired an antique African zulu single shot 12 gauge. me being the idiot 20y/o i was immediately decided i needed to find out if it would shoot. ratchet strapped that bad boi to a spare tire for my trailer and hid behind my 84 blazer and pulled the rope. she shot, but the video of it is absolutely hilarious. young and dumb at the time but now rewatching that video, its just free entertainment.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really like the type 99 Arisaka.
    Mine has a nice shiney bore, but the outside looks like it has been through at least 3 world wars.
    This poor thing has been beat all to hell but still fires to point of aim.
    I still have the anti-aircraft sights but no mono-pod or dust cover.
    Mine also still has an unmolested and intact mum and no import marks.

My only complaint is the price/availability of ammo.

O.p. welcome to Ingo

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I never would have thought but apparently those Arisakas have one of the strongest actions made! I guess those and the 1917 or P14s had some really good metal in them. I’m not sure about the last ditch Arisakas though I’ve heard conflicting reports.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom