• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "I certainly expect you to argue that even 3 is too many, but a rational man should know that perfection is an absolute and therefore unobtainable"

Perhaps read that part again. If you are arguing for no death penalty, please just say so, because the part about perfection being unobtainable is not just hyperbole and any penalty no matter how carefully applied will have the innocent swept up in the process

And then if you are in fact against the death penalty, doesn't that just reset your problem at the level of life without parole? Is it not a similar tragedy to imprison a man for the rest of his life if he may have been wrongly convicted? The elimination of the death penalty does not eliminate the imperfections in the system or make it more accurate

I suppose you can console yourself with the idea that LWP allows a chance for the prisoner to repent as well as a chance for exoneration if he was wrongly convicted, but I would expect '3 hots and a cot' for life to be cold comfort for those whose loved one was murdered - and after all, those are the ones from whom any meaningful forgiveness must come (temporally), not you or me
    I understand and "eye for an eye" and I'm not against the death penalty in theory. I actually support it. However, the practical application is where the issues are. You have killers who confess AND strong direct/circumstantial evidence to support their confessions, I'm good. However, those are rare cases and the vast majority of death sentences rely on much lesser evidence that leaves a lot of room for error as demonstrated by the numerous exonerations of persons on death row.

Now, having an innocent person in prison for life IS a tragedy of major proportions. But freedom can come, correction CAN be made (they may not be made "whole" but delayed freedom is better than death). Once they are dead, there is no correction unless you can revive the dead and then set them free.

I haven't said anything about replacing the death penalty with life w/ parole. It seems as though you are conflating the fact that I'm critical of the death penalty with being a "bleeding heart" who thinks murders automatically deserve parole after X years. As I just posted, my stance is much more nuanced than you'd like to present.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What are you basing that length of time on? A single appeal can take years to resolve. The defense is not typically the slow-down. The court system is SLOW and in no rush.
    This isn't a knock on any of us, but the general public has no idea how the courts actually work. Everything we know is based on tv dramas.

One good thing from the pandemic is courts going online. A lot of Michigan courts are posting their feeds on YouTube for people to watch in all its painfully mundane glory.

I often have one court on in the background while I'm working, and it's been eye opening.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't said anything about replacing the death penalty with life w/ parole. It seems as though you are conflating the fact that I'm critical of the death penalty with being a "bleeding heart" who thinks murders automatically deserve parole after X years. As I just posted, my stance is much more nuanced than you'd like to present.
    Charlie don't surf, and Bug don't nuance.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This isn't a knock on any of us, but the general public has no idea how the courts actually work. Everything we know is based on tv dramas.

One good thing from the pandemic is courts going online. A lot of Michigan courts are posting their feeds on YouTube for people to watch in all its painfully mundane glory.

I often have one court on in the background while I'm working, and it's been eye opening.
    You are correct, no knock. Court IS boring to the extreme. Now I had a case (a case about me) argued in front of the 7th Circuit that I have audio of and that was quite entertaining.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nuance only ever leads into the intellectual quagmire, never out of it. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, again?

Without abstraction, there isn't sufficient time to solve any but the simplest dilemmas

The 'justice' in 'Justice delayed is justice denied' encompasses more than just the perpetrator

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You are correct, no knock. Court IS boring to the extreme. Now I had a case (a case about me) argued in front of the 7th Circuit that I have audio of and that was quite entertaining.
    Actually, if anyone wants to watch a comical court proceeding, look up Nevada v. Blandino. Honestly I was excited each day that went live.

"How not to do pro se."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do enjoy these mental exercises and discussions. But I'm a pragmatist to the extreme and I think people have trouble seeing that in an online setting. Maybe take it as something else. I'd like to think most here are more like that than they portray here.
    Bug just likes to tell people what they believe instead of listening to them. It makes his arguments easier.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I do enjoy these mental exercises and discussions. But I'm a pragmatist to the extreme and I think people have trouble seeing that in an online setting. Maybe take it as something else. I'd like to think most here are more like that than they portray here.
    Reading or hearing other people's experiences in life can help change our outlook and ideals.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Upload the audio of it or it didn't happen. Also include pictures.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Um, did you just Denny yourself? :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I was joking with you.
    I just read the court documents. I'm glad common sense prevailed in this case.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I saw one amusing one, by the time the judge was finished reading the charging info I think everyone in court was laughing except the defendant. Including the judge. The guy was a k-9 demonstration at a park, and went to pet the dog. With weed in his pocket. Then told the judge he wanted to represent himself. The judge replied, sir please take my advice and seek council. Trust me, you are no mastermind.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom