• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I picked up a Savage model 11 lightweight hunter this summer and paid $572 I believe with tax which was a package deal with a Nikon 3-9 scope. It has the Accutrigger which I absolutely love. I bought it to use for whitetail this year which it works perfect for and the rifle is more accurate than I am. If you're wanting more of a target rifle you might want a heavier barrel and a different stock but its perfect for what I wanted it for. You can't go wrong though with either a Savage 10/11 or Remington 700 though.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    The Savage is really nice for the money. Quite affordable and the accu-trigger is very predictable. Then you get the threaded barrel. Both the Savage and Remington 700's/clones have a lot of aftermarket support. As your skill increases, you can re-barrel, swap triggers, glass and stocks.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The Savage is really nice for the money. Quite affordable and the accu-trigger is very predictable. Then you get the threaded barrel. Both the Savage and Remington 700's/clones have a lot of aftermarket support. As your skill increases, you can re-barrel, swap triggers, glass and stocks.

That is really helpful. How are the Tikka's in this regard (aftermarket support)?

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I have never shot a Tikka. Both of the other two I have shot, my buddy had the Savage and I have a Remington clone. I have Timney trigger and I almost prefer the Savage Accu-Trigger, because it's more of a two stage feel. I use Geissele SSA-E in my AR's. Really like them. MDT makes a pretty sweet chassis for both Remy and Savage. Get the Savage rebarreled and the action jeweled, and you'll be set. Don't forget quality glass.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I picked up a Howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. Changed the Hogue stock to a Bell and Carlson, bedded the action, adjusted the factory trigger and added some glass. It shoots sub-MOA with match ammo or my 168 gr. AMAX hand loads. I can't recommend them enough. The action is smooth as glass from the factory.

This is an outstanding suggestion, and rifle.
    I understand you like the wooden stock of the CZ, what's not to like?
    Still, do yourself a favor and at least handle a Howa 1500 Sporter series.
    If I remember correctly, they use Weatherby actions and maybe triggers too. The triggers break clean as crystal, and the Hogue over-molded stock is a thing of functional beauty. I absolutely love that stock.

I picked up the Howa 1500 Sporter in .204 Ruger a few years back on a lark.
    A friend won it at an FNRA banquet and didn't want it. I bought it unfired for 2/3 retail and it even came with a Nikkon Sterling scope.
    It's not a Vortex or Leupold, but it works for my purposes.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I understand you like the wooden stock of the CZ, what's not to like?
    Still, do yourself a favor and at least handle a Howa 1500 Sporter series.

I did some quick searches and watched some reviews. Looks like they are Japanese made, but are quite well regarded and priced well. Hmmmmm... you guys are making this difficult for me!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you're wanting to bring it down tot he under $400 range - Ruger American.
    If you want a better rifle that looks terrific for about $200-$300 more - Ruger M77 Hawkeye or (if you can find one in good shape on the used market) a tang safety M77.
    I have the tang safety version in .30-06, and it's a wonderful rifle that took its very first deer only this month on opening day, the 12th.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I am curious about the Mossberg Patriot. I have not found much about it on INGO. Does the lack of discussion speak of the quality of this rifle. I handled one today in .243 and it seems like a decent rifle. Seems like a good entry level rifle. What does INGO have to say?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm very eased with my Savage 10 FCP-SR. I also like that o can swap barrels easily down the road (i like to tinker). It's a great rifle, good aftermarket (not quite like a 700, but not bad by any means), comes stock with nice trigger and big bolt handle, plenty accurate....
    After my research that's where I gravitated, however I won't alight any other suggestions either. Many good options!

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    If thinking about the Savage Axis rifle get the one with the heavy barrel on it, I have seen the accuracy difference between the standard barrel over the heavier barreled Axis rifles. The heavier barreled Axis shoots about from what I have seen & shot myself .5 inch to 1" tighter groups. The standard barreled Axis heats up fast causing the groups to open up, even in just a 5 shot grouping. I am also liking the CZ line of .308 rifles, & some with the price point of $700-$800 dollars come with a 3x9x50 or 4x16x50 scope already mounted, not sure of the brand though.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    I'd be looking at the FN SPR's that go on sale for about 1200. I know a few guys that compete with them straight out of the box.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I would also recommend the Howa 1500. The action is smooth and they shoot sub MOA. I have the 22 inch sporter barrel with the green Hogue stock and it shoots lights out. They seem to be more popular out west with the predator hunting guys but my dad and I both use them and love them.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    The Savage Model 10 FCP-SR in 308 is everything that you need. Plenty accurate right out of the box with the acu-trigger. It is also right in your price range.

Top Bottom