• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    I'm an old guy also biased in favor of Rem 700's. I built up a couple 20 or so years ago. If I were you I'd learn how to determine how much a rifle has been shot and whether the locking lugs are engaging evenly if you're not already familiar with that that process. Then I would take my time and buy an older Rem 700 BDL. The triggers are adjustable and quite good. That will give you a nice wood stock and a very good platform. The only thing left of the original rifles on mine are the actions. Excellent barrels are available as well as a wide variety of stocks. Mine are all now wearing slim douglas air gauged barrels and either kevlar of fiberglass stocks. I like lighter as I get older and never could afford a gun bearer. Lots of aftermarket stuff available for 700's so you can go in any direction you wish or leave it stock.
    Enjoy the journey.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm an old guy also biased in favor of Rem 700's. I built up a couple 20 or so years ago. If I were you I'd learn how to determine how much a rifle has been shot and whether the locking lugs are engaging evenly if you're not already familiar with that that process. Then I would take my time and buy an older Rem 700 BDL. The triggers are adjustable and quite good. That will give you a nice wood stock and a very good platform. The only thing left of the original rifles on mine are the actions. Excellent barrels are available as well as a wide variety of stocks. Mine are all now wearing slim douglas air gauged barrels and either kevlar of fiberglass stocks. I like lighter as I get older and never could afford a gun bearer. Lots of aftermarket stuff available for 700's so you can go in any direction you wish or leave it stock.

Enjoy the journey.

Honestly, this is how I have been leaning for the very reasons you state. The Remington 700 series is a mainstay for a reason, and the aftermarket parts availability is a good thing to have. At the same time, it is also the 800 pound gorilla that all of the other manufacturers try to beat, which means that off the shelf, they might do so in some areas.

I can't imagine that any rifle that I buy is going to stay stock for very long anyway, which makes me thing Remington. I still have another month or two to investigate...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I find range sessions boring.
    Grew up shooting, so nowadays I just want to zero a rig and hunt.
    My next rig will either be a stainless Savage bolt rig, w barrel swapped to .300 Savage.

Or a Rem 760/7600 in .300 Savage or .35 Rem............or worst case, a 7600 carbine in .30-06.

I already have a 700 that's decent, cheap..........good yote rifle.

Walnut and steel is cool, but sucks in bad weather (plus you try to not beat them up). Stainless and synth is king for all around use..........but is boring in looks.
    Can't have it all.

So buy multiple items :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's a lot of fine used rifles out there to be had right.
    My favorite bolt 308 is an old Winchester 70 with an old Balfor Sniper post scope. Medium heavy barrel beautiful wood, nice weight, etc.
    Excellent hunter and very consistent and tight on the bench.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I bought a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP a couple months back for $465 after rebate. Shoots ok but could be better and it will be as I start the process of modifying it and hand loading for it. Buddy bought a lightly modded Rem 700 Tactical and its pretty awesome. Really shoots good.

jrockne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Honestly, this is how I have been leaning for the very reasons you state. The Remington 700 series is a mainstay for a reason, and the aftermarket parts availability is a good thing to have. At the same time, it is also the 800 pound gorilla that all of the other manufacturers try to beat, which means that off the shelf, they might do so in some areas.

I can't imagine that any rifle that I buy is going to stay stock for very long anyway, which makes me thing Remington. I still have another month or two to investigate...

Were you able to come to a conclusion? I am in the same boat. Looking for my first nice, non-ar rifle. Interested to see which direction you went and if you would've done anything differently.

Top Bottom