• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Mcguire AFB NJ
    Hey everyone, well this is my first post and it is regarding what I should get as my first concealed carry weapon. Unfortunately I am stationed a McGuire AFB in Nj, If any of you know the gun laws here than you know why this is unfortunate but I will be coming back to Indiana this summer and I am looking forward to getting my first pistol. I have been looking at the new xdm .40 compact and the Glock 27. I was just curios if any one had some experience with both of these and could give me the pros and cons, or if anyone had some other ideas for a nice ccw. Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It would primarily what comes down to your own decision...what feels good, how YOU shoot, not how others shoot a particular weapon, your confidence level with it. Go to the range and see if you can rent each one or shoot a friends pistol if they have an XDM or Glock.

Don't get bogged down with just CC either. Consider OC and you need not limit your choices.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The only downside to those is their size; if you really get turned onto shooting sometimes the sub-compacts can be a bit harsh on the hands and wrists during a long trip to the range. The Glock 23 (40S&W) or 19 (9mm) is the next size up from the 27 and offers a bit more grip and barrel plus a couple of extra rounds while just adding a tad more 'gun' to the carry rig. It would make for a more pleasant shooting trip, especially if you get into extended training or some of the shooting sports like IDPA or USPSA.

With the right belt and holster combination you can be pleasantly surprised as to what you can carry concealed; the sub-compacts are great guns but I'd say to look into the larger versions before going the small route.

Another good piece to look at is the Ruger SR9C; very good shooting gun and it has the additional magazine with grip extension to give you the feel of a full-sized gun and then with a mag change you are down to the compact sized frame. Very nice gun.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Both are excellent. Probably more aftermarket stuff for the Glock and definitely higher cap mags for it. There should be a 30rd .40SW mag, I don't think XDs can touch that. I understand that your probably not going to walk around with a 30rd mag, but it's just options & range mags. I'm a glock fan but the M&Ps are supposed to be nice as well. If your set on the caliber, hold as many firearms that are available to find what is most comfortable.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Completely just up to your preference really. Both are great guns and will serve you well. Some like Glock and some like XD and some like both. I prefer Glock and my EDC is a G27. Love it! :rockwoot: I have shot many XDs and while they just arent quite for me they are great guns, I just prefer Glock. Different grip angles and the XDs have a grip safety, main difference. Just go with what feels best in your hand.
    It seems in my experience that many 1911 guys prefer the XD because of its grip angle. So if you have much experience with 1911s you may want to look at the XD.
    And an early congrats on getting out of Jersey soon! :D

pill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Mcguire AFB NJ
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I found a range in PA that has almost every gun in .40 I could think of so im going to have to make a trip and shoot them all.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    First of all, welcome to INGO! :ingo:It looks like you're about to do what is the best advice, and shoot as many guns as possible, so I'll keep my favorite of the two nameless. (But it starts with X and ends with D) :):

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    Welcome to INGO!! Thank you for your service!!!!

You have the right idea by trying out lots of weapons. Try different calibars also. You may find that a compleatly different weapon is what you want.

Remember to get your LTCH before you buy anything.

Thanks again.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    :welcome: to :ingo:

From what I've heard both of your top picks are excellent firearms. My only suggestion would be that if you really want a concealable firearm, try out a Walther PPS in .40S&W. I just recently got my first gun, and it's a PPS in 9mm. I absolutely love it, and I've got 300 rnds through it with no problems.
    They function more similarly to Glocks, but are only 1" wide at the widest point, and the width is one of the largest factors in concealability. You have to see/feel the difference to really appreciate how thin this gun is. But, as in any case, you sacrifice capacity for width, so if you want more rounds this gun is not for you.

In any rate, good luck. You should think about the L1 electronic fingerprinting service for your LTCH. You can get the license in a week vs six months, and its only about $11.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Glocks are reliable simple guns. I am a Glock armorer and truly respect that platform on which they are built. With that said, I do not like shooting them all that much.

I do not currently own an XD but, want one! It's just a few down on my current list.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When it comes to concealed carry, you will also want to make sure that what ever gun you think you will want, will be concealable by the clothing type you wear. Some pistols are to heavy for some peoples clothing, and others are not. Say you wear pants/hosts without a belt and looking for a pocket pistol (or mouse gun) you'll want to make sure it won't sag down your pants. Also if you looking for something that is a IWB (inside waist band) holster, you'll want to make sure there is a marketable product out there for that brand of firearm. Most compact and sub-compacts have available IWB hostlers, but you'll want to make sure you are comfortable with them. Remember for CC your going to be carrying it everyday, all the time. As such you'll want to make sure it is comfortable, as well as easily accessible.

Top Bottom