• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :runaway:
    The FEDs are offering a TIPS bond with an interest rate of -.55 percent.
    Note this is NOT a type-o. That is interest rate with a NEGATIVE .55 percent! So you give the FEDs $105.50 today and in five years when the bond matures yo get $100. :n00b: You could get $105 if the CPI rises by 5% however.

Nice hu? :faint:

Read all about it here:
    TIPS-at-negative-yield-what-it-means: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    The final 2010 MEET & SHOOT will be in NOV. Go vote for which date!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...14439-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_nov_date.html

Halloween Cigar OC Night is 28 OCT 2010
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0_28_-_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_pine_island.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm not fully sure as the TIPS is a special type of US Bond not like what most people are use to seeing/hearing/reading about (ie. the paper bonds). I'm trying to look up more information but at this point I don't see why anyone would give anyone $105.50 today with the promise that the borrower will either give me back $100 in five years of IF the CPI goes up 5% I will get back $105. In either case I'm still LOSSING money!

So from a laymens terms it's not a good deal to buy these types of bonds unless you are looking to make a loss. :dunno:

Someone with more financial knoweledge care to post?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well, it doesn't "mean" anything. If you're buying TIPS at a -.55% interest rate, you're betting that at even that loss, inflation will rise enough to generate a positive return for you.

When there's widespread concern over deflation and economic contraction, investors might go so far as to accept negative returns. If you think a dollar today might only be worth 96 cents in two years, an investment that guarantees you 98 cents in two years might appear to be a good deal.
    and
    At the end of the day, TIPS are a bet on relative performance. Investors are betting that the value of these bonds will deteriorate less than those of other low interest-paying bonds if inflation picks up.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well, it doesn't "mean" anything. If you're buying TIPS at a -.55% interest rate, you're betting that at even that loss, inflation will rise enough to generate a positive return for you.

and

But I'm still lossing out $0.50 even if the inflation goes up. So how does that make sense. :dunno:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ... I don't see why anyone would give anyone $105.50 today with the promise that the borrower will either give me back $100 in five years of IF the CPI goes up 5% I will get back $105. In either case I'm still LOSSING money!

If the CPI goes up more than 5%, then you're generating a profit.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    But I'm still lossing out $0.50 even if the inflation goes up. So how does that make sense. :dunno:

Even if inflation does rise, you are buying with $105.50 of better dollars (worth more) than the $105 you get back that is worth less. Something that you could buy for the $105.50 would cost $111 after it is done, if we had 5% inflation.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I listened the the Marketplace report on that last night and it made my head spin. Folks must think they can make money at it otherwise folks who are pretty smart with their money wouldn't be doing it.

Me, I don't make enough to worry about it. I'll stick with buying land and other tangible assets.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's an inflation protected treasury, which means that people are hedging against inflation, that's all. And it's not a bad strategy when the Federal Reserve annouces that they're going to print $3T this week.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Even if inflation does rise, you are buying with $105.50 of better dollars (worth more) than the $105 you get back that is worth less. Something that you could buy for the $105.50 would cost $111 after it is done, if we had 5% inflation.

IF inflation/CPI shoots through the roof, you win big.

:bowdown: ok the light bulb just turned on! It's a gamble that inflation is going to go up MORE than 5% in the next 5 years. Oh that's not kool @ all but then again the talk of hyper-inflation I have heard on these boards a lot as well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hyper-inflation is not inflation on steriods. It is basically the collapse of a currency. At which point, the TIPS would be just as worthless as the dollars the government may or may not pay you for them.

10% or 20% inflation would not be hyper-inflation.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The fact that some smart investors are buying these is a sign that they expect the quantitative easing measures by the Fed are going to create inflation.

This is a last gap by the Fed to attempt to make something happen with the economy. The low interest rates haven't done it. What I don't understand is how they don't realize that because the regulations they've made has made money so hard to get, even though it's cheap, and other regulations are keeping the housing prices in decline, all the low interest rates in the world aren't going to move anything.

It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    That and no one has any idea what the long term picture looks like.

Even basic things like health insurance, and long term care insurance are on the verge of being nationalized or not depending on who you talk to.

We don't know what's going to happen with Cap and Trade. Is there going to be a carbon credit exchange?

Hell, the currency isn't even stable. How am I going to spend money if I have no idea what it will be worth?

Uncertainty kills economic growth just as much as a bad policy that people are certain of. Even then, as long as you know what the rules are you can play the game to the best of your ability. Right now, no one knows what the rules are, so we're all just idling until things settle down.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    what about all the tax money we already give them that they use illegaly, or to fund their extravagant trips, lunches, etc? now they are just getting more brazen about it.

-1 U.S. Government

^ put that s*** on a t-shirt or roll it up and smoke it

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I do not believe that anyone is investing in TIF's with the hopes of "making money" or "hitting it big".

Sure, if inflation really takes off, you would get more dollars back, but those dollars would have their buying power reduced proportionally, so it would be a wash.

Basically, people are taking X dollars that would buy Y loaves of bread today (or rounds of ammunition, or widgets, whatever) and "investing" it with the government, on the condition that, in five years, they will get back in five years the dollar equivalent of what it will then cost to purchase Y - .55% loaves of bread/widgets/whatever.

In other words, people are getting so freaked out by the prospect of looming inflation/market instability that they are willing to give up the use of their money for 5 years with the hope that they will only lose .55% of their purchasing power for the amount invested.

It's like paying the schoolyard bully a small portion of your lunch money to have him just punch you in the stomach rather than risk him beating you severely and taking all of your money.

It's grim.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I do not believe that anyone is investing in TIF's with the hopes of "making money" or "hitting it big".

Sure, if inflation really takes off, you would get more dollars back, but those dollars would have their buying power reduced proportionally, so it would be a wash.

Basically, people are taking X dollars that would buy Y loaves of bread today (or rounds of ammunition, or widgets, whatever) and "investing" it with the government, on the condition that, in five years, they will get back in five years the dollar equivalent of what it will then cost to purchase Y - .55% loaves of bread/widgets/whatever.

In other words, people are getting so freaked out by the prospect of looming inflation/market instability that they are willing to give up the use of their money for 5 years with the hope that they will only lose .55% of their purchasing power for the amount invested.

It's like paying the schoolyard bully a small portion of your lunch money to have him just punch you in the stomach rather than risk him beating you severely and taking all of your money.

It's grim.

Maybe it will convince the Fed to back off on their QE plans next week.

Top Bottom