• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm not fully sure as the TIPS is a special type of US Bond not like what most people are use to seeing/hearing/reading about (ie. the paper bonds). I'm trying to look up more information but at this point I don't see why anyone would give anyone $105.50 today with the promise that the borrower will either give me back $100 in five years of IF the CPI goes up 5% I will get back $105. In either case I'm still LOSSING money!

So from a laymens terms it's not a good deal to buy these types of bonds unless you are looking to make a loss. :dunno:

Someone with more financial knoweledge care to post?

since the creation of Treasury Direct accounts average Joe can purchase TIPS in small amounts , like $25 .. but at market rate.. if enough people put in buy orders the price will just go up..
    I don't think anyone really said "hmmm.. I think inflation will be greater than 5% , so I will bid $105.."

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Like I said, it's a hedge. You stand to lose a little or gain a lot. It's just like any other hedge, such as food or insurance or indexed stock.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Like I said, it's a hedge. You stand to lose a little or gain a lot. It's just like any other hedge, such as food or insurance or indexed stock.

Kinda like when you keep flirting up the fat girl every time you go to the bathroom or get another beer, just in case the hot one you're talking to at the table doesn't work out by last call.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Kinda like when you keep flirting up the fat girl every time you go to the bathroom or get another beer, just in case the hot one you're talking to at the table doesn't work out by last call.

smiley-laughing021.gif

Oh that is
    smiley-talk034.gif
    wrong but oh so true dross! :+1:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    tag

I'm starting to understand this, but still trying to put all the pieces together. It's just hard when you don't understand all the pieces. Seems I failed economics...

cadan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    IF inflation/CPI shoots through the roof, you win big.

Not so. The government measure of prices called CPI is understated, so inflation (aka currency debasement) will end up returning to a TIPS buyer less purchasing power than they deprive themselves of today by purchasing a TIPS.

The real trouble will start when the Fed starts buying bonds in QE2, QE3, ... etc?. The monetary system of fiat paper currency is a violation of property rights, and thus unethical. I hope someday that the movement to end the federal reserve system (third attempt at central banking in the US) will be successful, and all legal tender laws repealed. If so, deficit spending will finally be impossible, forcing some financial accountability.

Top Bottom