• ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I can't take my wife to a gun shop. The last time she purchased a CZ75B in polished stainless, before that it was a Ruger 1911 in 9 mm, and before that it was a LC9 Pro...she gets what she wants....:cool:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...It is easy for me because I have many guns, I can dedicate my carry guns and dedicate my range guns, I don't have to compromise.

Is there a reason she can't start with a range gun and get a carry gun later also? If she hasn't shot a lot, a .22lr may be a great pleasant first gun to learn the basics with while building a desire to shoot. Get the carry gun later.

... so I`ve been told the trigger is much better on the LCPII...

I had an LCP and absolutely hated everything about it except that it would fit in a pocket. Horrible trigger, sights you couldn't find and very unpleasant to shoot. I sold it and got an LCP II. It has a reasonable trigger, slightly better sights, is just enough wider at the web of your hand to make practicing with it tolerable (or better) and it still fits in a pocket. It's a keeper.

Sounds like a bunch of us need to get together every so often to let others try out a wide selection of pistols.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Had the same with my wife a few years ago. She said I want a pistol.

Took her to the outside range on a weekday morning. Nice only one other shooter. When over the four rules. Showed her the ruger mark 2 target. On with the glasses and ear pro. She rocked that targets and many more. Got her a class at Highsmith and we started the permit process. We when to the farm and shot 10-22's and a 357 6 inch with 38's. She used several guns at Highsmith on range time. Did the beginners class. Shot some more range guns at bullseye in Anderson.

Then we went to dad's and I brought all mine and a few friends brought theirs. Must have been a good fifty around. Was like goldielocks. To hot to cold to big to small. Narrowed it down to about 15 without shooting. Of those fifteen the winner for her came up around number 9. Bang bullseye bang bullseye bang bullseye. Much better groups than any others and a smile on her face.

My 1980 interarms import Walter PPK/s. She said it pointed well and kept on target easy. I had some work done on it long ago. Some feed ramp polish a spring change and a little trigger work. Loaded it with some 380 critical defense and it eat them up. O problem. She also liked the 5906 smith near mint that dad had but it was very stiff for and older gun and the slide did. It rack back well. She liked the look of an HK 9mm. It did not fit her hand. The 380 PPK/s just called to her. I think the extra weight helped the small package and the reduced spring made the slide easy for her. She shot it better than I do.

Well that was her. She liked the 5906. The PpK's a colt cobra and a browning BdA about the best. The PPK/s has bitten her with the slide once or twice. Smith's non import version has an extended beaver tale but she said the PPK's mine. So who am I to tell her no.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The 42 with the finger extension on the mags is as small as I'd go.
    I'd let her shoot some of the little ones and some of the medium sized ones, then have her count the number of bulls eyes with each. Then factor in the magazine capacity and ask her how early and often she wants to shoot her rapist.

I never have enough rounds to suit me.

I vote against the 42. It is VERY unforgiving of limp wristing. Her technique cant be lacking.

I run mine perfectly. Give it to my wife and she makes it malfunction at least once per mag. Usually 2. 3 if she is having a bad day.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bersa makes a Thunder 9 that is pretty sweet, and won't break the bank.
    It's a full size pistol, but not overly large. It is steel, but not overly heavy.
    I know quite a few people, women included, who find Bersa's reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Glock 42 is a jam o matic for most women slide is also a little rough for some.
    I think a pistol that a person can have confidence in is important.
    If a person knows they can't hit and or scared of the weapon because of recoil or blast.
    Lots of autos people cannot work the slides on.
    Probably are not gonna be real happy about going to the range.
    So my recommendation is a .22 or 22 mag revolver taurus makes a nice one 9 shot in 2 or 3 inch.
    I know I get flamed every time I say it by the "stopping power
    Crew"
    A hit from a 22.mag vs a miss from a closed eye horrible flinching shot will save the day.

Ruger LCP WTH horrible little gun why would you ever need such a small pistol?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll take a different bend. I think too often we get all PC with the "letting her decide" when they are making decisions uniformed. Too often they make decisions based on wrong thinking because their friends carry pretty, yet difficult to shoot firearms. Also sadly, often this lack of information leads to unsafe gun handling.

I'd say before buying her any gun, put her in a class for new shooters. One where she can try different guns.

Make sure she knows to question her instructor on the virtues of couples carrying the SAME gun for self defense. Universal familiarity and swapability with guns, ammo, magazines, gear, etc. cannot be overstated as a huge advantage that, with education and further training, you both will get to anyway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll take a different bend. I think too often we get all PC with the "letting her decide" when they are making decisions uniformed. Too often they make decisions based on wrong thinking because their friends carry pretty, yet difficult to shoot firearms. Also sadly, often this lack of information leads to unsafe gun handling.

I'd say before buying her any gun, put her in a class for new shooters. One where she can try different guns.

Make sure she knows to question her instructor on the virtues of couples carrying the SAME gun for self defense. Universal familiarity and swapability with guns, ammo, magazines, gear, etc. cannot be overstated as a huge advantage that, with education and further training, you both will get to anyway.

Yep. THIS. "Let her decide" but make sure she is informed to make the correct decision.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glock 42 is a jam o matic for most women slide is also a little rough for some.
    I think a pistol that a person can have confidence in is important.
    If a person knows they can't hit and or scared of the weapon because of recoil or blast.
    Lots of autos people cannot work the slides on.
    Probably are not gonna be real happy about going to the range.
    So my recommendation is a .22 or 22 mag revolver taurus makes a nice one 9 shot in 2 or 3 inch.
    I know I get flamed every time I say it by the "stopping power
    Crew"
    A hit from a 22.mag vs a miss from a closed eye horrible flinching shot will save the day.

Ruger LCP WTH horrible little gun why would you ever need such a small pistol?

Its what my wife preferrs and she does OK with it. I've been known to pocket it myself when I need something small. Its not horrible.

And other than the rimfires being prone to misfires, I agree; the 22WMR is a suprisingly effective round for its size. On a related note I took out a raccoon with one from 30 yds and I was shocked. I disemboweled the thing. tiny hole in the chest, gaping hole in the gut with about 12" of intestines hanging out of it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    LCP is fine if that what she likes.

But you sir need to get bigger pockets
    And carry a "man" pistol.
    Can't think of any misfires in 22 mag I am sure I had some.
    I just think a hit from a 40 grain bullet zipping along at 1500Fps
    Might kinda effective?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    LCP is fine if that what she likes.

But you sir need to get bigger pockets
    And carry a "man" pistol.

Well, I normally EDC a G19. There have been a couple instances (can count them on one hand) where I needed something that actually fit in my pocket. My G42 doesnt quite fit, and I'm not about to balloon up to a pants size that the pockets are proportionally big enough to conceal that thing.

But remember, a LCP in the pocket is better than a 1911 in the safe.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I concur with the k frame. 38 you might luck out and find a 3 inch!
    Cameramonkey why do I have a visual of you wearing parachute pants?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Most shooters are fine with a double action it's just a.long smooth squeeze. You would be amazed how accurate they can be.

Much less likely to have a ND/AD.
    A nervous finger on a 4 pound trigger can be scary. Never mind if you snag it on something holstering or unholstering
    I carry a SIG 250C DAO I can shoot it as well as a striker fired pistol.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    They do lots better with a heavier long barreled gun than with a "cute" little gun. No matter the caliber. Revolvers seem to make sense to a new shooter. Less intimidating than the internal workings of a semi auto.

Recoil, muzzle flip, and muzzle blast are pretty scary to a new shooter.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ugh! So many things to think about, and so many choices.

Here are some of the comments that ring true to me based on my knowledge of my wife:

1) Give her a few choices, and then let her choose based on what fits her best. She can over analyze, and if I just let her choose from a pile of 50 guns, she would never decide.
    2) Training - great idea, but knowing her, she will not do that at first, she needs some time with me to get comfortable.
    3) Get her a .22. Hmmmmm... not a bad idea actually. I might have to think through that some more.
    4) Revolver: Probably not. Not a horrible idea, but it has taken me forever to get her to consider a gun, and I think I need to get her the one that she will keep rather than a stop-gap learning gun. This comment might also apply to the .22.

More later. Thanks for all the advice so far!

Top Bottom