• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    And don't any of you mention the dark side having cookies. My reloading press is blue, and I've got plenty of cookies/Kool-Aid that came with it! :D

And going back to our regularly scheduled thread... don't be afraid to look at a used gun. There are lots of 9mms out there, and really, it's a Glock, it's not like it's going to be in unusable condition. If you can squeeze it, setting your budget at $350 will make your choice much easier, IMO.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Your post reminds me that I saw a P-38, with holster, at Premier Arms in Brownsburg the other day. Either $369 or $339, I can't remember which. Lots of years of service behind a P38.

Also saw a brand new P89 for $339. The Ruger is a tough, rugged, dependable gun, kinda big but one that can be counted on.

A P38 at that price??!! You sure it wasn't a post war P1? Heck, even if it were a parts built P38, that's a pretty good price.

Ruger doesn't have the cachet of Sig and other brands, but in my experience they are solid and dependable guns.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A P38 at that price??!! You sure it wasn't a post war P1? Heck, even if it were a parts built P38, that's a pretty good price.

Ruger doesn't have the cachet of Sig and other brands, but in my experience they are solid and dependable guns.

I don't know that much about P38s. So, all I can report is that it looked like a P38, the tag said P38, and my kid is really mad at Daddy for not having the money to buy it because it's really, really cool LOL.

It did look to be in good shape. Finish didn't appear worn out, gun didn't look clobbered.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't know that much about P38s. So, all I can report is that it looked like a P38, the tag said P38, and my kid is really mad at Daddy for not having the money to buy it because it's really, really cool LOL.

It did look to be in good shape. Finish didn't appear worn out, gun didn't look clobbered.

Well, your kid is right...it is really really cool! :yesway: :D

Sounds interesting though...maybe it's a post war commercially produced P38...I'm after one of those too.

To bad I'm like you though...not having the money to buy it right now!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Looking for self defense, but also something to take to the range to work on the skills.[/

Unfortunately this becomes somewhat of a contradiction. The guns that are best for training and building skills are generally larger, with a longer sight radius, highly visible sights, and heavy to moderate the recoil. The guns that are easiest to carry are small and light, with low profile sights that won't snag.

You will probably wind up with some kind of "in between" gun that is a bit larger than ideal for carry, a bit smaller than ideal for range.

Thanks for all of the input so far. My budget is on the low end for a first gun - ideally under $300.

One of the best values in the $300 range is a SIG p-6. This is the German law enforcement version of the SIG P-225. It is somewhat smaller than most duty guns, but somewhat larger than most concealment guns. The German police are switching to something different now, so a lot of P-6s are available surplus. You will occasionally see them at Gander Mountain. Probably your best price would be to order one from CDNN or some such.

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    A thought to ponder...Commander sized 45 acp 1911 like Kimber Pro Carry or similar made by Springfield, Dan Wesson, etc. Then spend few extra dollars to purchase a 22 conversion so you can shoot 22's for plinking and shooting large numbers of inexpensive shells. Those I've tried have worked well for practice while allowing you to switch out for defense practice and carry.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    As others have pointed out "Don't be afraid to buy a used gun." If you spend $300 dollars for a gun now, you will probably sell it and by a nicer one in a few months. I learned the hard way. So buy a used one and it won't hurt the pocket book as bad when you either trade it or resell it. Trade-up losses add up fast. If you buy at a gun store, make sure you can return it if it has problems, always ask first. If you are unfamilier with guns, revolvers are hard to beat. If you are used to guns, just don't own one, then slim 1911 are hard to beat for concealed carry. Kimbers have many fans, but usually require hundreds of rounds to start functioning properly. My Colt New Agent (3") and Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail (4.25") functioned flawlessly from the box. Good luck.

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not opposed to used but am interested in something 9mm. I have checked out the Ruger and it is large. I am trying to increase the budget a little and watch keep an eye on what is available.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You will probably wind up with some kind of "in between" gun that is a bit larger than ideal for carry, a bit smaller than ideal for range.

Has anyone mentioned the Model 19, by Glock??

Just checking. . .

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side
    I am going to vote Glock. My first was a glock 19 great gun. I think I would go with the 26 if I could do it over just for the fact of the grip length. The 26 would be a little easier to conceal. I don't carry the 19 because of that.

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like a few people around here will be pleased to hear that I am leaning toward the Glock 19. I handled a few and it seems to fit my hand the best without being too large or small. Any suggestions on where to find one - prefer used to save a little cash over new, especially since it's my first?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not another glock! Actually I have only good things to say about them. But like everyone else I have to take a side and submit my vote for the Springfield XD. Of course the Walther P99 beats both of these hands down.

Now, one that nobody has mentioned is the Taurus 24/7. A friend of mine just got one. Not a bad shooter. I like the grips and sights. I am pretty sure it has second strike capability. Came with extra standard capacity mags (i.e. what will soon be evil hi caps) New gun in two tone was something in the neighborhood of $369 + tax. Given that Taurus has a pretty good reputation the pistol seemed like a lot of value for the money. I almost caved and bought one for myself.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sounds like a few people around here will be pleased to hear that I am leaning toward the Glock 19. I handled a few and it seems to fit my hand the best without being too large or small. Any suggestions on where to find one - prefer used to save a little cash over new, especially since it's my first?

Good to hear! any of the reputable shops up your way should have one, but used may be a little tougher to find.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Good luck finding a carry gun......I have several carry guns, Usually I carry a glock because you can not beat the reliability and magazine capacity. I also like several wheel guns. Capacity is diminished but again they have great reliability. What ever your decision I hope you will put in some quality range time. You might even look into a defensive pistol class. Good Luck

Top Bottom