• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I love Ruger single actions, and I have a 7.5" regular Blackhawk in .45 Colt that's a real hoot to take to the range, especially with my ass-kicking loads.
    Even with my stout "home-rolled" loads, it's manageable and not painful.
    I suspect that your short barrel birdshead grip Vaquero with full house .44 Mag loads won't be quite so easy to control or avoid some pain with while shooting.
    I'd strongly advise going with mild loads to start out, and a padded shooting glove would help.
    You don't want to wind up developing a flinch right off.
    Once you've acclimated yourself to it and mastered rolling with the punch, you'll be able to enjoy the experience much more.
    Just be sure to have good eye and ear protection, and double up on the earpro if shooting indoors!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mr Ucky, Do you have to use moon clips with that or does the cylinder allow you to drop the rounds in like normal??? Beautiful revolver, In an old folksy kind of way.. :)

No moon clips...They just drop in like normal....It's hard to explain but the 45 ACP out of that gun is just a joy to shoot...I keep it in a shoulder rig or on a web belt and keep two 1911 magazines (beaters that were iffy on function) that I trimmed the spring in...It allows me to just push them in from the mag and reloads are fairly fast for a single action...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have one in .45 ACP.....Only because they did not have them in .44 magnum at the time...Congrats....Looks like this...

wm_6243784.jpg
    I wasn't aware they made these in 45 ACP. This changes things.... Changes things a lot.... I hate you big bro!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    No moon clips...They just drop in like normal....It's hard to explain but the 45 ACP out of that gun is just a joy to shoot...I keep it in a shoulder rig or on a web belt and keep two 1911 magazines (beaters that were iffy on function) that I trimmed the spring in...It allows me to just push them in from the mag and reloads are fairly fast for a single action...

No need to explain the Joy and Eroticisom of dropping 45 acp into a revolver.. It is the full circle of the 45 caliber round...

1st you have the 45 colt round in a revolver, all was perfect.
    Then smart people figured you can save and go to a 38.. then the Filipino warriors show them how it was done..
    So they wanted the knock down power of the 45 colt in an automatic ... hello 45 ACP
    So a 45 ACP round coming home to a revolver .. All is well with the world and Ford is in his Flivver...

My hats off to you with your 45 rounds in old magazines for reloads.. At first I though you can do better than that.. But the more I think about it
    The more I see the beauty and simplicity of the design and use ...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My hats off to you with your 45 rounds in old magazines for reloads.. At first I though you can do better than that.. But the more I think about it
    The more I see the beauty and simplicity of the design and use ...

I got the idea off of this guy...You can see how fast it works....There are no speed strips (that I am aware of) for .45 ACP and I didn't like carrying them loose....I have a plethora of mag pouches and mags for the 1911 so it worked out pretty good...

[video=youtube;InyPWBZJUPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyPWBZJUPw[/video]

If you look over the shoulder of the worst case of "bed head" you have ever seen you can catch a glimpse of the rig with the web belt and the two mag 1911 pouch and the crossdraw holster I cut down for the 3.5 inch barrel...

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was really torn between the 45lc and the 44mag. It more or less came down to which was in stock. I'm glad I didn't hesitate because it was last one they had. I've never owned a 44mag so it will certainly be an experience shooting it in this tiny(relatively) package.

I am curious...When they started making the New Vaqueros word was they would no longer be making them in .44 magnum as they had went back to the older frame size again (at the request of CAS shooters) and now they come out with it in .44 Magnum.....

Is the frame on your weapon the same size frame as on the other new Vaqueros or did Ruger make a special run on the old Vaquero/Super Blackhawk frames to allow for the .44 Magnum????

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    It has the bigger old vaquero frame on it. I've read two stories. One is they had left over big frames and wanted to do a limited run to get rid of them, and the other version is the brought it back and made new ones for this specific Talo exclusive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like indiucky's 1911 mag idea too. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a couple of old mags at the next gun show. I've got a 7.5" Blackhawk Convertible (45lc/45acp) and it's a joy to shoot as well. Last time I had it out with 45acp I had my ammo in a Maxwell House coffee can. Worked okay but it's not fast and it's kind of bulky to hang on a belt! :):

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Congrats on your first single action revolver. I love single actions, in fact I don't own any double action revolvers currently. I like that short .44 mag vaquero a lot. I've had a few vaquero's in the past and while I liked them I found that I personally prefer adjustable sights. That said I have quite a few Rugers from a single six up to super blackhawks in .454 casull and .480 ruger and several in between. Personally I've had nothing but good experiences with Rugers.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I like indiucky's 1911 mag idea too. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a couple of old mags at the next gun show.

Do you really need dedicated 45 magazines????... Last night I took out a stack of Colt 45 acp magazines and loaded them up to 6 rounds and had no issues thumbing them into the revolver. Oh course ,I have strong manly thumbs. But think about it ,if you use the same magazines you can carry your 1911 with 45 acp revolver and feed from the same ammunition storage mags...

And thank God you will loose the Coffee can.. you were an embarrassment as you ran around the range practicing your shooting and moving skills with that rattling can in your hand.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you really need dedicated 45 magazines????... Last night I took out a stack of Colt 45 acp magazines and loaded them up to 6 rounds and had no issues thumbing them into the revolver. Oh course ,I have strong manly thumbs. But think about it ,if you use the same magazines you can carry your 1911 with 45 acp revolver and feed from the same ammunition storage mags...

And thank God you will loose the Coffee can.. you were an embarrassment as you ran around the range practicing your shooting and moving skills with that rattling can in your hand.
    Just seems a waste to use Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat mags to load a revolver, when a cheap surplus USGI mag would do the trick. And the likelihood of me carrying my 1911 and the Ruger are pretty slim! :):

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just seems a waste to use Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat mags to load a revolver, when a cheap surplus USGI mag would do the trick. And the likelihood of me carrying my 1911 and the Ruger are pretty slim! :):

Geez Louise, 1st off All I was saying is that you do not need dedicated magazines for the revolver.. No need to cut the spring down and use them solely for one gun..

And somehow William Holden was able carry 2 automatic Pistols, extra clips, Revolver with revolver ammo.. Not to mention a shotgun when he came to town..

wb1.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And somehow William Holden was able carry 2 automatic Pistols, extra clips, Revolver with revolver ammo.. Not to mention a shotgun when he came to town..

My favorite scene is when William Lee Holden keeps switching the magazine cut off over on his 1903 Springfield and yells out to Warren Oates, "My safety is broke!!!"

DoggyDaddy kind of looks like Ernest Borgnine...:)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I follow a channel on youtube called GB Guns. Here lately he has been doing reviews on a bunch of Colt SAA clones from different companies. I'm not much of a revolver guy, but these things really have me considering grabbing at least one. Lots of options out there and man do they look fun to shoot!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    indiucky;7035775 DoggyDaddy kind of looks like Ernest Borgnine...:)[/QUOTE said:
    Do not know... there is a lot pretty heavy competition for the Ernest Borgnine look alot competition..

I do know if you were closer and had stools (The setting on kind) we would be in there all day at the end of the display case.

latest

um, your not thinking about getting stools are you?????

Top Bottom