• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turbodan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2016
    NW IN
    I was in the 4th grade when I got to shoot a 1911 for the first time. I was shooting my uncle's Glock 9mm one-handed and thought I was bad-ass. My grandpa walked up and asked me if I wanted to shoot a real gun. Of course I said yeah. He handed me his EDC. A nickel plated Colt 1911 in 451 Detonics and told me I had better use two hands with this one. From that day forward I was in love with the look, the feel, the power, and the accuracy of that sexy badass 1911. To this day, that gun is my unicorn.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    The 1911 platform has been my Go-Too since about 1985..
    First time shooting one I noticed the slow big round could be seen in flight & that seemed to make it more accurate because the recoil wasn't as harsh as the 357 magnum I'd been shooting..
    They kinda grow on you.. There like the Telecaster of guns..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    The 1911 was one of my first "big bore" handgun shooting experiences. It was a seventies Colt Commander. loved the 1911 ever since. Still have a couple in the safe that pretty much get range time only but still love them. Got my first non 1911 45acp awhile back, the M&P Shield and it's a shooter too. Can't go wrong with 45acp !!!!!!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I had the same experience. First time I shot a 1911 .45, I was hooked. You can't really call yourself a gunowner without at least one 1911 (has to be in .45 of course!).

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    ERUZxNh.jpg

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Blaspemies? Religiosities and beliefs of this infidel? 1911, please, note the numerical name as close to the date of inception. A piece of equipment that has more than stood the test of time. It became near perfect in my mind when the lower was made out of aluminum. I think plastics make nice grips not lowers. I fling this philosophy from pistols to long guns. I ain't skeered, Glocks to ARs. I don't like hiding hammers in revolvers and think strikers are a compromise. The only thing worse is putting one in a 1911. I've been carrying my .45 ACP with 200 grain or less ammo but do not see anything wrong with 230 grain BALL. I'll probably switch over to all BALL later this year. I finally realized my 1911 fanaticism came more from the .45 ACP round than the near flawless functioning of my worked over 1911s. I have found a few pistols that I consider improvements on the venerable 1911 for me. I now encourage potential firearm enthuisiasts to open their eyes even wider and not get stuck on a fine firearm when there may be a better fit for them still within an attainable price range. There is no shame in shoveling snow or cutting some lawns to make up the difference if you are going to keep it forever. I've only gotten married once. But, I've had a checkered past with brazen hussies when it comes to pistols. Pick a great one to start with brothers. Ya, I maintain a harem when it comes to pistols. I did get rid of the unfaithful ones though. Beware: their out there in the low rent districts.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I grew up shooting various 1911's.
    The design history, or war history.........never really cared about it.
    II have one because they work well and shoot good for me.
    Did have to put in an arched MS housing.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My first . 45 was a P90. I literally wore it out. Loved that pistole. As I searched for a replacement I came again and again to the 1911 platform.
    Finally found a Springfield ultra compact for a reasonable price at Ludco. Someone had just pointed out to me that Fred was more of a sales guy than a gun guy, and boy did he prove it on that deal. I wanted to trade my P90 in on the Springfield, and he barely even looked at it. To say that I was suprised was an understatement.
    That's been over 20 years ago. I still shoot the Springer for giggles now and then, but it spends most of its time in the nightstand. It's proven to be that reliable.
    My ONLY problem with it is the boring old iron sights. JMB might be spinning in his grave, but Sig has spoiled me for night sights. I like 'em.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My first handgun was a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 in .45. I've been hooked on the platform ever since. No collection can be thought of as complete unless it has at least one full size .45 1911. My 55th birthday is coming up next month and there was only one pistol that I considered worthy of commemorating that event: A Dan Wesson full size A2 in .45. I am not going to have it shipped until later this month, but have it on layaway to secure it. Can't wait.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    If you like Revolvers and 45's like I do get yourself a S&W 625. It's the best of both worlds

This is NOT the best of both worlds IMHO, but the gimping and raping and pillaging of the 1911 platform and spits in the face of Mr. Browning's design and invention.

Be true, Do it right, do it once. Get a 1911.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've never liked the 1911. It's heavy, mechanically complex, and offers a low round count. It's expensive, both to purchase and shoot. Why would anyone want one? I've never been interested enough to even shoot one.

Then, a buddy of mine bought me one. Unbelievable! It is difficult to describe the experience shooting one of these without it sounding like hyperbole. Honestly, nothing else shoots like it. Nothing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I got sucked in my firts time shooting one aswell. I bought one of my own with a nice holster and a fist full of good mags.

Once I picked up a G21 and shot it the 1911 got gone. Better pistol in all aspects. I like the 45acp alot although shoot more 9mm for cost savings.

The 45 is a sweet round. Lots of great guns that launch it. Shop around and shoot a bunch.

Top Bottom