• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BriceR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    My dad uses a ML for Deer hunting and I have asked the same question around looking for my first deer gun as well. I have heard the 44 mag is you best bet for less, and it will do the job. But the ML they say you can get a much better grouping at a longer distance and you have more time in the stand.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I use a H&R .44 for deer and it works great. For extra spice, I reamed it out to .445 super mag. Now talk about a 44 on steroids!!! Just something extra that still shoots 44 great but capability for the 445 is there.

ML is a good idea also. Inlines are about like a rifle anyway. No need to go overboard on expense, a cva is fine.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I was at the Walmart in Franklin yesterday. They have 5 models to choose from. The stainless CVA wolf is a nice buy at Wally world. Walmart on Emerson/Thompson rd. area on SE side also has them this year.

don't know whay I felt the need to chime in but I thought I would mention that I have noticed about 5 CVA muzzle loaders show up at the Walmart in Noblesville recently

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I went with a stainless CVA Wolf with the camo stock. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA 3-9x40 muzzleloader scope on it. It has a bullet drop reticle from 50 yards out to 250 yards using a 250 grain projectile. For cheap ammo, I shoot Remington .429" SJHP projectiles with sabots with good success. As for having a stainless barrel, I used camo tape to wrap it. The only part of the gun that isn't camo is the scope and part of the receiver. I have less than $400 into this set-up and I plan to hunt both seasons with it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My old Knight loved Powerbelts...my new Omega didn't as much. It did like the Shockwaves. I combined that with 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 and when sighting in my scope didnt have to swab once between the 15 or so shots I took. Easy to clean after the fact.

I honestly could have prob went down to 80 grains of it..has the much punch. I might try out the white hot or a pellett this year if I need to get out in ML season just for ease if bow/shotgun are unlucky for me.

ALB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    My brother hunts both seasons with a muzzle loader, even though he has other slug guns to choose from. He likes the extended range and how light a new ml is compared to a shotgun. I stick with my 12 gauge.

Top Bottom