Fishers gas clerk arrested for intimidation, PD says pulled gun on theft suspect

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It just depends on what other evidence you have, what the situation is, how much of a chance of retaliation if both parties are left on the street, how easy it is to find the suspect again later (homeless? Out of towner?), etc.

Deliberately hiding from you?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Then Intimidation would not be the right charge. It would be "Pointing a Firearm". You do not have to point a firearm, or have physical contact, for Intimidation. I've already covered the differences, but note different media accounts say different things...which is why it's ultimately pointless to make a decision based on the media.

Sometimes. I watch video quite a bit as a robbery detective. However I'm also dealing with a more serious felony, have access to an on-call guy who knows how to run a bunch of different systems, etc. For a misdemeanor or low level felony, you might watch it, you might make a report and let a district detective (or whatever the general detective is called for that given department), or make an arrest and follow up with the video later. It just depends on what other evidence you have, what the situation is, how much of a chance of retaliation if both parties are left on the street, how easy it is to find the suspect again later (homeless? Out of towner?), etc.

Thanks for your insight. Even when addressing things those in your profession might find confrontational or gross mischaracterizations, you always take the time to explain things for us. I've put my foot in my mouth a couple of times when discussing law-enforcement issues here, so I just wanted to say thanks and let you know I greatly appreciate your participation here.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Deliberately hiding from you?

Sure. A lot of folks aren't really going to go into hiding for something minor, though. If you've got a permanent home, local family, a job, etc. you're probably not going to bail over a misdemeanor or felony 6. The courts use the "on your own recognizance" $0 bond for the same reason. It all depends.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for your insight. Even when addressing things those in your profession might find confrontational or gross mischaracterizations, you always take the time to explain things for us. I've put my foot in my mouth a couple of times when discussing law-enforcement issues here, so I just wanted to say thanks and let you know I greatly appreciate your participation here.

NP. If you're not involved in it, you really don't know what's the truth and what's deliberately sensationalized. A lot of "controversy" stems from folks mis-characterizing things, either on purpose or unknowingly. The media generally manages to do both at the same time. There's a lot of agendas out there, and people draw power and position from creating controversy where if they were honest and/or better informed none would exist.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Al-Rafie is an U.S. citizen from Jordan. He served multiple tours as an interpreter for U.S. forces in Iraq and was shot twice on missions. “I would be more than happy to die for this country,” he said.

Much Kudos to Mr. Al-Rafie.

BTW, did Fishers get a new Chief of Police? Hopefully he's gonna set some of these Det's straight, just a little bit.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I hope Mr. Al-Rafie corrects the horrific injustice he suffered because of false allegation made in retaliation for a prior lawful act.

And, Mr. Al-Rafie, do I ever know how you feel.

It is ridiculous that he even has to. How is it, in a country where due process and the presumption of innocence are constitutionally protected rights, a false arrest remains as a black stain on an innocent, law-abiding citizen's record? Fishers PD should be compelled to do whatever is necessary to expunge the false arrest - at their own expense and inconvenience.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is ridiculous that he even has to. How is it, in a country where due process and the presumption of innocence are constitutionally protected rights, a false arrest remains as a black stain on an innocent, law-abiding citizen's record? Fishers PD should be compelled to do whatever is necessary to expunge the false arrest - at their own expense and inconvenience.

Indiana law contains an expungement procedure for this scenario. The news segment advised that Mr. Al-Rafie was going to seek it. A §1 is a tip in, so he won't have the black stain long.

Top Bottom