Fishers gas clerk arrested for intimidation, PD says pulled gun on theft suspect

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The difference today, is that when the bad guy's defense attorney hears that story, and asks why the guy with the gun was charged, the officer who did the "moral" thing would be crucified. When I first started in LE, I learned early that if you give a break to someone (like lowering a ticket speed to save someone money), it can come back and bite you in the ass.

Exactly. Things weren't so damn litigious back in the day and you didn't have to worry about getting sued or fired for every little thing you did or didn't do.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    The difference today, is that when the bad guy's defense attorney hears that story, and asks why the guy with the gun was charged, the officer who did the "moral" thing would be crucified. When I first started in LE, I learned early that if you give a break to someone (like lowering a ticket speed to save someone money), it can come back and bite you in the ass.

The shop I used to work at had a scanner in it and I heard a good one. A young lady (license suspended at least 6 traffic stops ago) was pulled over and having her license run. Another LEO came on and said he gave her a break the last time she was stopped and she was fighting the tickets she got. The first Leo replied that he would give her plenty of tickets to fight.

Her husband had a suspended license too and the one thing I can tell you is that if you are going to drive suspended do not do it in a 20+ year old station wagon when there are no others around.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When there are no details, the logical thing to do is fill them in to fit your preconceived notions.

You should be good with that. No one cares if the bad guy gets a gun pointed at him...right?

Drawing a gun isn't Intimidation. If you commit Intimidation while drawing a deadly weapon, it is an enhancement though.
    well except police point guns at good guys all the time too. So no I'm not good with it

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    well except police point guns at good guys all the time too. So no I'm not good with it

Unfortunately "good" in the grand scheme of things is relative. Every scenario you/I/We/Us/They go into is predicated on information available at the time. Throw in bias, or judicious prejudice.... things escalate/de-escalate from there. I've seen some "bad" guys do good and I've seen "good" guys do bad.

If it is truly offensive.... come on here and pitch a fit, file a formal complaint, or pursue litigious remedy...life's not fair, things happen, the world keeps spinning. $.02

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Unfortunately "good" in the grand scheme of things is relative. Every scenario you/I/We/Us/They go into is predicated on information available at the time. Throw in bias, or judicious prejudice.... things escalate/de-escalate from there. I've seen some "bad" guys do good and I've seen "good" guys do bad.

If it is truly offensive.... come on here and pitch a fit, file a formal complaint, or pursue litigious remedy...life's not fair, things happen, the world keeps spinning. $.02

Now is not the time to be logical! This is INGO for crying out loud.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I can understand why what the clerk did was illegal, though I disagree with the law in this case.

I have no problem with a law that says you can't point a gun at an person that has not broke any laws.

I think if a person is going to break any laws however, they should expect to be greeted by a muzzle--not shot uless it was a forcible felony though, just held until the cops got there.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I can understand why what the clerk did was illegal, though I disagree with the law in this case.

I have no problem with a law that says you can't point a gun at an person that has not broke any laws.

I think if a person is going to break any laws however, they should expect to be greeted by a muzzle--not shot uless it was a forcible felony though, just held until the cops got there.
    So person jay walks and boom point a gun at him?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Just a point of order, none of us really know what happened. Every single "it's justified" or "it's not justified" is based strictly on the supposition of what happened based on a media account.

I'm sure folks are tired of hearing me say this, but media accounts are often so wrong I sometimes don't recognize my own cases on the news until a name is mentioned. They care about being first and about generating attention (controversy), not about being right.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Just a point of order, none of us really know what happened. Every single "it's justified" or "it's not justified" is based strictly on the supposition of what happened based on a media account.

I'm sure folks are tired of hearing me say this, but media accounts are often so wrong I sometimes don't recognize my own cases on the news until a name is mentioned. They care about being first and about generating attention (controversy), not about being right.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that the story as printed (as inaccurate as it may be) can't be used as an example and point of discussion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bingo.
    It seems they are being called out for this lately. Nationally.

Top Bottom