• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    So by handing the LEO the pistol with the grip facing him, the muzzle would be pointing/covering you? How's an LEO get away with asking you to do such a dangerous thing? I don't see why loaded weapons ever need to be pointed at anybody unless you're intent on shooting them. As described, the actions of the LEO seem wreckless.

I want to know how this turns out once you talk to the police chief.

zecho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Columbus OH
    I will be contacting them tomorrow. I will update when I know something. I truly hope that this LEO gets a lesson on how to handle the situation and nothing more. I have not ill will against the guy, I just want him to understand that I'm an average citizen who happens to have a license to carry a weapon and asking me to reach for my gun could easily have turned into me being dead.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I hope he's on here. He was polite and professional up to the point where he reached for his gun and basically ordered me to hand over my weapon (which I think disarming me is borderline illegal) and basically gave me the impression that he was going to shoot me. I have never been through anything like this before. I honestly thought he was setting me up to shoot me.
    you might limit what you say about this on here. i think you may have a good court case. but hey im no lawyer. but we do have some on here. Yes theres always two sides to every story, but if what you are saying is accurate then I cant see any reason why the cop did this to you. if i intimidate someone intentionally its a charge. if a cop does it, its officer safety :rolleyes:

we just had one of our INGO officers post about how he stopped a guy who had placed his pistol on the dash when the officer approached. and he didnt even freak out like your cop did.

good luck!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    What an incredibly dumb way to handle the situation.

Makes me more thankful for the officer in Greenwood who said "just leave it right where it's at; i just need your license and registration".

I wish they could all be that professional.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Wow. I'm just going to say no, I don't have anything illegal in the car( i feel like I've read that here some where....) I know my permit is valid, so is my license and insurance and my car wont smell like booze or dope so he should have a hard time finding a reason to search me or my vehicle. But then again most of the guys in Hancock county know my dad and our gun shop that we have, seeing how they buy from us from time to time. So I'm not to worried about it in Greenfield, and lets face it, IMPD hates doing traffic stops unless the feel they can get you for something else.

zecho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Columbus OH
    I hear what you're saying E5RANGER375, I honestly just wanted to know how to react to the episode. I posted the story on the Ohio CCW forums as well and between the two forums, I've been convinced to contact his boss and see what happens from there.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Seems to me that under the laws of Indiana what you have here is an armed robbery.

Since the officer had no statutory authority to take your property and he took it from you at gunpoint it clearly meets the elements of that crime.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Playing Devil's advocate, what the officer may have heard was "if you want my gun, take it from me." That might explain his reaction.

This is a protocol and training issue, IMO. Unfortunately it may take a tragedy before officials take it seriously.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Seems to me that under the laws of Indiana what you have here is an armed robbery.

Since the officer had no statutory authority to take your property and he took it from you at gunpoint it clearly meets the elements of that crime.

Ah, good one. Here's the Legal-Speak:

IC 35-42-5-1
    Robbery
    Sec. 1. A person who knowingly or intentionally takes property from another person or from the presence of another person:
    (1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or
    (2) by putting any person in fear;
    commits robbery, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon or results in bodily injury to any person other than a defendant, and a Class A felony if it results in serious bodily injury to any person other than a defendant.

Sounds like armed robbery to me. Good luck.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Are you a Columbus Ohio resident still? I think you still have to notify because your issuing state requires it. I have family in Columbus

zecho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Columbus OH
    Are you a Columbus Ohio resident still? I think you still have to notify because your issuing state requires it. I have family in Columbus

Ohio requires notification, IN does not. My license says "Concealed" so I keep it that way, but the notification law applies to the state you are in. But if you read the whole story, you know that your question is pretty much irrelevant. NOT trying to be an ass, but I did notify, I called the CHL issuing agency and asked about the laws here before I came here and was told that I DO NOT have to notify. When I am in Indy, I follow the Indy laws.

Last edited:

zecho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Columbus OH
    if your serious, then contact a lawyer first. and make sure they know about all these post so they can work it in :):
    then if they tell you to contact the media then ok do it.

but do it fast because tapes, and evidence tend to get lost sometimes ;)

I will be typing up a letter and will need to ponder it for a few days.. An attorney friend of mine from Ohio said:

Well I mean a letter......sit down and write it out, it will be cathartic if nothing else...but sit on the letter for a day or more, re read it. Keeep it short and simple. Keep it to the differences between different states CCW laws, your desire to comply with the laws, stress you felt your life was in danger....make major impact with few words.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ohio requires notification, IN does not. My license says "Concealed" so I keep it that way, but the notification law applies to the state you are in. But if you read the whole story, you know that your question is pretty much irrelevant. NOT trying to be an ass, but I did notify, I called the CHL issuing agency and asked about the laws here before I came here and was told that I DO NOT have to notify. When I am in Indy, I follow the Indy laws.

Actually, I did read the whole story. I wasn't sure about the notification part and I was asking. If my wanting you to make sure that you have your butt covered now AND in the future is irrelevant, my apologies..
    :rolleyes:

Top Bottom