• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Figured it's that time of year. Post up your reports!

Date: 4/9/11
    Where: Shakamak State Park
    Time: 6-830pm

Was a beautiful evening to fish, temps in the upper 70's, water was slightly stained.

Tried minnows on bobbers for crappie, but never got a single bite. Water temp probably still a little cold.

Switched over to bass fishing, slow rolling small spinnerbaits with Indiana/Colorade blades. Tried white and chart/white with no bumps or hits.

Around 7:30 we switched to white buzzbaits, it was throwing a small and my oldest was throwing a regular large Strike King. Action picked up after that.

My first came after bumping a stump, nice 14in. Second came off of a perfect cast next to a laydown. My oldest caught his two just working in open water.

My third came off a point on the other side of the cove it was in, made a looong cast and he hit it about 3 feet off the bank. I caught this one on a white Rage Tail Shad. I had 2-3 big hits on this bait before this one, but had a hook that was too small on, wasn't getting through the plastic fast enough. Went to a wide-gap Gama and caught him on the next hit.

215984_10150155167973528_681323527_6879821_239457_n.jpg

Last edited:

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    date 4/9/11
    where- private lake in north vernon

The day started out rainy but the fish were biting great, I started out crappie fishing and we were catching them one after the other. We were using minnows and crappie tubes. when it stopped raining the crappie stopped biting so we decided to bass fish for awhile, we caught about 15 bass in a little over an hour on senkos and brush hogs. we decided to try the crappie again in a different spot by a downed tree and caught 12 more. Overall a great day. This pic is the first time we filled up the stringer, we put them in the cooler and filled the stringer again

picture.php

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    This is my first week fishing. I went out on Tuesday kind of cold at around 50 but had an excellent first day out for the season to my new favorite honey hole a very small pond(maybe a little over half and arce). I was fishing with a 2" Storm Minnow in a green/yellow color. I landed 9 bass here are 2:
    2011-04-05_15-33-29_978.jpg

2011-04-05_16-23-01_981.jpg

My second day out was today started abput 2 when the temp was just shy of 80. I was fishing with a 1/2 oz rattletrap in a blue/silver. First cast out a nice 2#er 3 cast out was this:
    2011-04-10_12-34-56_246.jpg

largest bass I have ever landed in Indiana. Just over 5.5 lbs. It broke my pole. I was using a Shimano 6' med action pole with BPS casting reel. Fish took a nice jump then dove and snap! I landed it with half a pole with my standing in about a foot of water! Way to much fun. I cant wait to go back.
    BTW my total for the day was 13 and I also landed a 3.5#er!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Friggin' genius...

...not me, but my old fishing buddy. He is also a retired electrician who taught me that romex has many uses beyond the intended.
    2011-04-10_22-47-25_860.jpg

As far as the fish...

...meh, nuttin' much since the rain Saturday. Looks very promising though. Temps are coming up and full moon in a week or so.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Mostly bluegill the times few time I have been out this year but I have caught a few crappie, couple largemouths and a couple wipers. Yesterday as I was coming back to the ramp a guy had a 13.5 pound wiper.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    8:30 tonight, 3rd cast, big Jitterbug, double secret location :rockwoot:
    The big bulge in it's belly, was another fish!

It's tail was hangin' out and still wigglin' inside it's mouth, never seen that before!
    dscn1353x.jpg

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    4-9-11 6:00AM, first of the season, Bassn Trip

6:00 AM the Destination was Griffey lake Bloomington IN
    Indianapolis Dry/spotted clouds, forcast: spotty

well on the way to Bloomington 56 miles
    all heck broke loose, lightning everywhere.

We show up at Griffey as the Shack was closing, 8:00AM CLOSED:xmad:

Got the idea to follow the storm's tail end to ROCKVILLE LAKE:dunno:

A few hours and a hundred + miles later

we show up at Rockville, 12:00pm, we got our boat, paid the fee and hooked up the motor:rockwoot:

Water is a little cloudy, boat temp 70/75 slight wind.

We caught 12 large mouth no real keepers, all of brush and wind blown banks

3 on a JSR 4
    7 on silver buzzbait
    2 on silver B lewis rattle trap

SO, in actuality we caught 12 small - in a 12 hour fishing trip:xmad:
    beats workin:D

Last edited:

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    That's a heck of a trip Indyk! I have fished rockville lake a few times and they only seem to have small bass but decent gills and crappie.

I hit Lake Greenwood last Friday with a buddy and we caugt 2 small bass and 1 nice black crappie and 1 nice yellow perch. Not what we had in mind but better than work for sure!

Mushrooms are up too. No better way to beat the cabin fever than to get some fresh fish and fried shrooms. Good luck guys!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That's a heck of a trip Indyk! I have fished rockville lake a few times and they only seem to have small bass but decent gills and crappie.

I hit Lake Greenwood last Friday with a buddy and we caugt 2 small bass and 1 nice black crappie and 1 nice yellow perch. Not what we had in mind but better than work for sure!

Mushrooms are up too. No better way to beat the cabin fever than to get some fresh fish and fried shrooms. Good luck guys!

Hoping to pick up a small boat in the future and fish Lake Greenwood after work ;)

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Hoping to pick up a small boat in the future and fish Lake Greenwood after work ;)

:yesway: I have worked out there for 2 years and just finally got to fish that lake. I have a small row boat and an old outboard. I just need to get the motor running and hit that lake more often. I hear the gills and crappie are pretty good but the bass are on the small side.

Good luck.:rockwoot:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    And now for a little more armature fishing.
    Location, neighborhood retention pond about 100 yards from my house.
    Bait, I broke down and bought some worms after the third failed attempt to put a shovel in my yard without hitting a wire or sprinkler system pipe (we moved in October so I've not been here during good weather enough to know my own yard).
    Company, well, it just doesn't get any better...
    We caught about 8 fish in all ranging from 5.5 to 8.25 inches. All in all, a great part of the day. Most importantly I got the tackle box suited up to be able to go whenever they want.
    CopyofPhoto_041011_008.jpg

CopyofPhoto_041011_006.jpg

CopyofPhoto_041011_009.jpg

BTW, does anyone know what kind of fish these are? I deserve answers like "only the most common fish in all of Indiana".

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My oldest brother use to have a boat and we'd hit some local lakes. We use to have some decent luck on Lawrence Lake fishing for crappie. One year we were in a bass tournament and I hit something with some weight to it. Other boats were watching, I pulled up a 19" crappie. Nobody had much luck with bass that day...really bummed me out having to throw that one back.

These days, I mostly fish for cats but haven't been out yet. Looking forward to it. A woman I was talking to today said she was catching some decent walleye over the weekend up in Elkhart County.

Top Bottom