• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I carry a Surefire LX2 everyday. It's main role is for defensive purposes. But I find I use it for everyday use as well.

For a small light, I love my Streamlight Microstream. It's a great small pocket light. I have used it a lot working on my jeep, or even crawling around under the house and attic.

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I carry a Streamlight Protac 2L. It's very bright when needed and can be dimmed down for other tasks. Also it's small enough to clip in my back pocket. It's built like a tank too.

Draftysbrother

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I like the Surefire G2. The Streamlight Microstream is also a great little pen light that fits nice in the pocket, good for EDC. I've been issued Surefire, Streamlight, and Pelican lights, all are great brands.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    My EDC is a Fenix L0D. Small enough that I never noticed the weight and bulk (due to the lack thereof), but bright enough for most social purposes. The 5 modes are neat too.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm going to throw this out there, and maybe get flamed for it.

First, buy the Cadillac light that the others recommend. Then, get about 10 or 15 of these Mini Cree's and spread them around everywhere. One in every room, garage, car, desk at work, wife's purse, etc. No, they're not perfect quality; sometimes you'll get one where a switch won't work, or it will break quickly. And they take a couple of weeks to ship from China. But they're so cheap that you almost can't go wrong with them.

I have kind of done this. I have other high quality lights but I have 3 of these lights as well. 2 in different spots in my room, and one mounted on a gun (for non-serious purposes). I used to use one for EDC but it was way too large for that.

For a EDC role I think the type of battery is important too.
    I use mainly lights that only take AA batteries.It's easy to find anywhere and it makes for a small and compact flashlight.
    You can even find some good lights powered just by one single AAA.

Sure one single AA or AAA wont produce 2000 lumens but do you need the light for search and rescue operations or to for common EDC tasks in the city (find your keys on the ground, find your way out of a dark building, look at eletrical panels at home ... etc.)?

:+1: All my smaller lights take AA or AAA. My Maglites take D batteries, but that too is a fairly common type. The only light that I have that doesn't take common batteries is my StreamLight Nano that is on my keychain.

For a small light, I love my Streamlight Microstream. It's a great small pocket light. I have used it a lot working on my jeep, or even crawling around under the house and attic.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

I have a Streamlight MicroStream and I LOVE it. It is amazingly bright for it's size. I use it every single day. I crawl under desks all day (I work in IT) and it's great. I used it for 5 weeks straight before the battery died. And that wasusing the battery that came with it, an Energizer Alkaline. I have a lithium battery in it now.

And, I hate to be a name-dropper, but I'm pretty sure JetGirl carries one of them too. ;)

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Thanks to another thread, the subject of the importance of EDC flashlights has come up. Flashlight guys, what brands, features etc. should we look for in an EDC light? I need a list so I can go shopping.

As you can see, you have asked a loaded question. It really comes down to use. Here is my favorites vs task.

Home Defense:

I'm currently using the Fenix PD35. Plenty of light, and I know it will be set to high when I turn it on. It's also a reasonable size, so I can grab it easily at Night.
    Fenix PD35

Some other lights I really like for home defense are the Foursevens MMR-X, MMU-X3 and the Surefire defender ultra)

The MMR-X is similar to the Fenix PD35 as far as out put, size and automatic high. It is a great value as it comes with the battery and charger. The downside is that it is USB charge and USB programming. So it takes a little effort.
    FOURSEVENS Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

The MMU-X3 is a beast. Not huge, but fat so easy to find. Simple two stage switch so you can easily find the high mode. But this thing has three XML's, so you are not short on light.
    FOURSEVENS Maelstrom MMU-X3

Surefire Defender Ultra. I like the feel of this light a lot. It really sticks to your hand which is nice when you are a little nervous holding a light. The TIR lens is really nice, makes the 500 lumens feel like a little more than what it is. Surefire Quality is top notch.
    Surefire E2D Defender Ultra

Personal Defense.

I'm not a big guy, so I don't like carrying 2 cell lights around. So my top pick here is a Surefire EB1 back up. If you like two cell lights, the EB2 is the same thing with two cells and more light output. I like that this light always works, it carrys well, it deploys well, and it comes on in high first.
    Search Results: eb1

Lights like the Fenix PD22, and the Foursevens QTL are also good choices for those that want something solid for less money.
    Fenix PD22 Gen 2
    Quark Tactical QTL Gen 2

EDC/pocket lights:

I think hands down the Foursevens preon series of lights are my top picks. They have managed to cram a ton of lumens in small lights that run on AAA batteries. I know Streamlight makes some good pen lights, but the Preons just blow them away. I like the whole series top to bottom, but I really light the Preon Penlights the best because they have a memory.
    Search Results: preon

I've been slacking a little on the videos lately, but we do have a bunch of light videos posted on our site and Youtube page.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLedwarehouse

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am going to go with a penlight to carry everyday, I know what some say but say what you want I am not carrying a bigger light everyday, just not happening. I carry enough stuff already… That said I am going to buy a 4sevens Preon2. Their gen2 puts out a 192 lumens. Out of a penlight!

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My old light was a surefire bulb style. My current one is a klarus xt11. It's a little in the big side but it uses cr123s or 18650s and it has a nice dual switch design.

Top Bottom