• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I carry a Surefire LX2 as a defensive light, and a Streamlight Stylus Pro as a utility light. The Streamlight is slightly larger than a Sharpie, and I just keep it clipped in my shirt pocket. If I need a modest amount of light, the Streamlight is perfectly sufficient, and I also still have SOME source of light even if one of the lights breaks.

I really like the soft-touch tailcap on the LX2. I purchased a Fenix PD35 for my father-in-law, and while I sure I could enjoy it as a truck light, or a backpack light, I wouldn't want to carry it. Two buttons is one too many for me.

I tried carrying a Preon penlight, and I hated it. Having multiple brightness settings and a memory drove me crazy.

zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    I used to carry the Surefire E1B and now carry the EB1. The low light mode saves on batt. life but I don't really worry about it. I'm still trying to deplete the original pack of surefire batteries I bought back in '07.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am goig to develop a cell phone light app shooting technique. I could shot and take a selfie at the same time.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a Surefire fore-end weapon light on my Remington 11-87 police. There's a pad on the side of the fore end that activates the light. I couldn't find this model on the Surefire website, doesn't look like they make it anymore. This picture isn't mine but its the exact same shotgun with exact same fore end.
    1187weaponlight_zps23977067.jpg

I put a Surefire Scout M300 weaponlight on my Smith & Wesson M&P15 sport. The light is like this one except black. It's activated by the thumb of your left hand (or can be mounted on right for lefties as in the pic).
    m300-tn_beam_zps6cdbacfa.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Flashlight guys, what brands, features etc. should we look for in an EDC light? I need a list so I can go shopping.

Have these thoughts in mind.

1. Weapon. No, your light will NOT be a weapon. Utter nonsense. It is not a bullet shield.

2. Balance. You want a balance of size and power.

3. Manipulation. You MUST have a lanyard or ring in order to manipulate the light and weapon. The Monica is less than optimal and you do not have hands the size of Michael Jordan's (even Michael Jordan should have a lanyard or ring). Ensure that you have lanyard (which you know how to set up) or ring.

4. One hand. Flashlight shooting is one handed shooting. Your technique, Harries, Ayoob, Chapman, Mary, Jimmy, Kirk, Ron Paul, anyone who has turned on a stupid flashlight has a stupid technique, is one handed. Start doing more one handed shooting.

5. Learn. Learn how to use the flashlight--manipulation, use by itself, use with the weapon.

6. Off. The flashlight is broke if it will not turn off. Learn to turn it off without thinking.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Have these thoughts in mind.

1. Weapon. No, your light will NOT be a weapon. Utter nonsense. It is not a bullet shield.

2. Balance. You want a balance of size and power.

3. Manipulation. You MUST have a lanyard or ring in order to manipulate the light and weapon. The Monica is less than optimal and you do not have hands the size of Michael Jordan's (even Michael Jordan should have a lanyard or ring). Ensure that you have lanyard (which you know how to set up) or ring.

4. One hand. Flashlight shooting is one handed shooting. Your technique, Harries, Ayoob, Chapman, Mary, Jimmy, Kirk, Ron Paul, anyone who has turned on a stupid flashlight has a stupid technique, is one handed. Start doing more one handed shooting.

5. Learn. Learn how to use the flashlight--manipulation, use by itself, use with the weapon.

6. Off. The flashlight is broke if it will not turn off. Learn to turn it off without thinking.

:+1: on the lanyard.
    Good way to have both hands free in an instant without dropping the light on the ground.

A good pocket clip is just as important to make sure your light stays in the same place on your body to quickly access it without having to dig in your pocket.

Top Bottom