• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In Walmart today, I saw a flashlight rated on the packaging at 1000 lumens. It took a lot of effort to pass on it!

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.....

I'm proud of you Rhino.....Good for you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    On a more serious note, my EDC flashlight is a streamlight microstream. It's a AAA flashlight that is so small I literally don't even notice when I have it in my pocket. I like it so much I've put one in the medical kits in the cars, in the bags in the cars, on vests, and anywhere else I felt like I may need a flashlight. I have three kids 5 years old and under so I find myself using a flashlight and looking for stuff more often than not. I have swam in lakes with my microstream without any water damaging the flashlight. I don't know how they rated the runtime on the flashlight, but I've used mine for over a year and only changed the battery once.

I've tried one of the little Olight I3EOS keychain lights for my EDC role and I just sucks. The streamlight microstream puts off a brighter light even though on paper you'd expect more out of the Olight. The keychain part broke and it just doesn't stack up to the microstream.

On my rifles, I have streamlight polytac's. Beside the bed I have a surefire G2X.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're right!

Step 1: Give me all your knives.
    Step 2: Give me all your guns.
    Step 3: Give me all your ammo.

What you did there? I SAW IT!!!

On a more serious note, my EDC flashlight is a streamlight microstream. It's a AAA flashlight that is so small I literally don't even notice when I have it in my pocket. I like it so much I've put one in the medical kits in the cars, in the bags in the cars, on vests, and anywhere else I felt like I may need a flashlight. I have three kids 5 years old and under so I find myself using a flashlight and looking for stuff more often than not. I have swam in lakes with my microstream without any water damaging the flashlight. I don't know how they rated the runtime on the flashlight, but I've used mine for over a year and only changed the battery once.

I've tried one of the little Olight I3EOS keychain lights for my EDC role and I just sucks. The streamlight microstream puts off a brighter light even though on paper you'd expect more out of the Olight. The keychain part broke and it just doesn't stack up to the microstream.

On my rifles, I have streamlight polytac's. Beside the bed I have a surefire G2X.

I carry a Microstream in my tshirt pocket all the time, but keychain lights have their place. I have an INOVA keychain light on my neckchain along with the other things on it (Crucifix, 4-Way Medal, St. Chris medal from the Boss of Me, my rape whistle, and one of those flat Craftsman screwdrivers).

Wait, you're into knives too?

Benchmade

I was wondering what I was going to sell you once you owned every single flashlight model we carry :)

FIEND! GET THEE BEHIND MEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

rhino out!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've had Streamlight Strion for years now. It's rechargeable, I would paid more than what the flashlight is worth in batteries if I got a comparable light that uses CR123s.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've had Streamlight Strion for years now. It's rechargeable, I would paid more than what the flashlight is worth in batteries if I got a comparable light that uses CR123s.
    That's why my EDC takes AAs. I wanted it to be cheap and easy to replace the batteries.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    People must use their lights a lot more then I do. I use the one in my pocket daily and I only go through a couple sets of CR123s a year. I have not bought any batteries for probably 2 years. I actually need to order anothr box. Not sure what a box of 24 CR123s cost right now but it is much less then the cost of the flaslights themselves.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    People must use their lights a lot more then I do. I use the one in my pocket daily and I only go through a couple sets of CR123s a year. I have not bought any batteries for probably 2 years. I actually need to order anothr box. Not sure what a box of 24 CR123s cost right now but it is much less then the cost of the flaslights themselves.

It's worse for people who use a light with only one setting and they don't use a separate utility light. If you're in the dark or low light frequently and you're using 500 lumens each time you need to put a key in a door or see your printed Google directions, you'll use a lot of batteries.

Given that, this is a reason why my Fenix PD35 is the ideal light for me. In my pocket, it is set to the highest output (850 lumens) in case I need it in a hurry. When I use it for mundane tasks (where I have the opportunity to use the mode switch), I can set it at a lower setting. For instance, the lowest setting works great for going up and down a staircase where I have to go on a regular basis that has no lights. Use like that can stretch a set of battering a long time.

The downside for using your defensive light for utility use is that there is little or no warning when the CR123A batteries are about to go belly-up. I try to minimize the chance of running dry at a bad time by changing the batteries when I guesstimate they're about half done. Then I use the partially spent batteries in lights I use exclusively for utility use at home. If I do a low light class or something else where I use the high output a significant amount, I also change the batteries afterward.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It's worse for people who use a light with only one setting and they don't use a separate utility light. If you're in the dark or low light frequently and you're using 500 lumens each time you need to put a key in a door or see your printed Google directions, you'll use a lot of batteries.

Given that, this is a reason why my Fenix PD35 is the ideal light for me. In my pocket, it is set to the highest output (850 lumens) in case I need it in a hurry. When I use it for mundane tasks (where I have the opportunity to use the mode switch), I can set it at a lower setting. For instance, the lowest setting works great for going up and down a staircase where I have to go on a regular basis that has no lights. Use like that can stretch a set of battering a long time.

The downside for using your defensive light for utility use is that there is little or no warning when the CR123A batteries are about to go belly-up. I try to minimize the chance of running dry at a bad time by changing the batteries when I guesstimate they're about half done. Then I use the partially spent batteries in lights I use exclusively for utility use at home. If I do a low light class or something else where I use the high output a significant amount, I also change the batteries afterward.
    I go through 2 CR123's about every 3 months. 40 bucks in batteries a year for a kickass light. I don't mind.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    $40 for 12 batteries seems high. Try buying some online in packs of 12, 24 or 30.

Rhino - I do the same thing as you. I basically have 4 lights. One I carry for utility, one at home and carry when not at work, one in the wife's purse, one on the gun. I rotate the batteries out of my wife's or house light into my daily carry utility light. That way I can burn up the batteries and put fresh in the others. I carry a spare set in my computer bag as well.

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy

Thats the same flashlight I just ordered. I feel all giggly like a little school girl! Is it worth the hype I hear about it?

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I carry a Microstream in my tshirt pocket all the time, but keychain lights have their place. I have an INOVA keychain light on my neckchain along with the other things on it (Crucifix, 4-Way Medal, St. Chris medal from the Boss of Me, my rape whistle, and one of those flat Craftsman screwdrivers).

rhino out!

I have a Streamlight Nano on my keychain and it is pretty good. I mostly use my Microstream, but the Nano is there if I need it. The batteries are on Amazon for about $1.50 shipped for 10 batteries.

Amazon: Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight

Top Bottom