• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It had nothing to do with Stand Your Ground. SYG is what the sheriff claimed, and that is all you see in the headlines, but it is not relevant in this case.
    It was relevant in that they chose not to arrest him at the time because it could have been covered by SYG. The initial story was the guy pushed him down and came running at him, so he was right to not arrest the guy. After further investigation the State's attorney decided it did not meet the criteria, so he was charged. Everything worked like it should.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is good to see a resolution to this. Stand Your Ground isn't carte blanche for picking a fight then shooting.

However, I am shocked to see that he could get up to 30 years! I could see manslaughter being maybe 12 or 15 years but 30 seems way too high.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It is good to see a resolution to this. Stand Your Ground isn't carte blanche for picking a fight then shooting.

However, I am shocked to see that he could get up to 30 years! I could see manslaughter being maybe 12 or 15 years but 30 seems way too high.

Regards,

Doug

Yeah, that does seem a bit high.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The deceased knocked him down. Who can say he would leave it at that? Didn't think this guy would be convicted.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The deceased knocked him down. Who can say he would leave it at that? Didn't think this guy would be convicted.

It's generally frowned upon to kill someone based on what they might do, especially after they clearly stop their attack when you present a weapon.

Bad shoot, good verdict.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So apparently "Stand Your Ground" only works when there's no cameras or witnesses. And if there are, you need to be a Quick Draw McGraw with absolutely no delays because that's what people expect.

Got it.... :yesway:

What a political circus complete with the Trayvon Martin race lawyer.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So apparently "Stand Your Ground" only works when there's no cameras or witnesses. And if there are, you need to be a Quick Draw McGraw with absolutely no delays because that's what people expect.

Got it.... :yesway:

What a political circus complete with the Trayvon Martin race lawyer.

You think this case was a self-defense shoot? Take a look at the vid, and watch the shooter. He doesn't reflexively shoot the guy. He pulls out his gun, gets a bead on the guy, takes careful aim, and shoots him center mass. There was nothing urgent about his actions. Never mind the fact that the guy was actually walking away. This a thoroughly a bad shoot. I know it's a lot of people's dream to shoot someone, but if you're unfortunate enough to have that dream come true, make sure you're on the right side of the law.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If he was Quick Draw McGraw, with no delays, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But because he happens to be a Slow Poke Joe, he now goes to jail.

Did I just sum this all up? :dunno:

Last edited:

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    It was relevant in that they chose not to arrest him at the time because it could have been covered by SYG.
    The sheriff didn't arrest him because he didn't understand the laws involved.

Nevertheless, SYG only applies if the accused who used force had an absolutely safe avenue of retreat at the time they used that force. He was laying on the ground with the assailant only a short distance away and thus had no safe avenue of retreat.

Florida's stature mandates a 25-year-to-life sentence for a crime committed with a gun in which the gun is used to shoot and kill a victim.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It's generally frowned upon to kill someone based on what they might do, especially after they clearly stop their attack when you present a weapon.

Bad shoot, good verdict.

OK, I didn't know the deceased had backed off. Sad situation all around.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    **** it...

I'm going to start training my draw while flying through the air after being coldcocked and/or body slammed so I can draw and shoot smoothly before hitting the ground. This way I at least get some rounds off before any injuries to my drawing arm or head that would slowdown my actions where people might think I'm just taking my time to shoot.

Shooting too slow.... I wouldn't want that to happen. :rolleyes:

.....and I need to invest in some more cameras for complete coverage of any incidents that may happen. In car cam, lapel cam, belt cam, hat cam, gun cam, contact lens cloud cam (when they are invented), etc...

....and my "Personal Drone" - PD (yes they're coming and I just named them) that will shadow my every moment... with a camera.
    Of course.

Last edited:

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    No. You just need to be well-versed in the 5 elements of self-defense. If a jury believes you didn't meet one of those 5 elements, then you'll be doing time.

I highly recommend following the Law of Self-Defense blog. He has covered this case extensively since it occurred.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I didn't know the deceased had backed off. Sad situation all around.

The deceased didn't back off... maybe... Or he did... maybe...

That is what is so hard about this case. It is extremely difficult to determine exactly what happened when, and the reaction time was extremely fast.

The actions of the deceased, in my OPINION, could be interpreted in several ways depending upon your point of view.

Also, we couldn't hear what was being said in the few seconds before the discharge fo the weapon. The deceased had a fairly long criminal sheet if I recall correctly, so he had an issue with impulse control himself. Who knows what he was saying he was going to do just before he got shot.

I'd really need to hear what the non-involved witnesses had ot say on this one.

Regards,

Doug

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    **** it...

I'm going to start training my draw while flying through the air after being coldcocked and/or body slammed so I can draw and shoot smoothly before hitting the ground. This way I at least get some rounds off before any injuries to my drawing arm or head that would slowdown my actions where people might think I'm just taking my time to shoot.

Shooting too slow.... I wouldn't want that to happen.

Be sure to train extra hard if you are going to harass strangers in public over parking spaces. You gotta be tough if you’re gonna be stupid.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

The deceased didn't back off... maybe... Or he did... maybe...

That is what is so hard about this case. It is extremely difficult to determine exactly what happened when, and the reaction time was extremely fast.

The actions of the deceased, in my OPINION, could be interpreted in several ways depending upon your point of view.

Also, we couldn't hear what was being said in the few seconds before the discharge fo the weapon. The deceased had a fairly long criminal sheet if I recall correctly, so he had an issue with impulse control himself. Who knows what he was saying he was going to do just before he got shot.

I'd really need to hear what the non-involved witnesses had ot say on this one.

Regards,

Doug
    You appear to have a point that the deceased did'nt initially back off. The defendant was violently shoved to the ground and was in a vulnerable position and it appeared that the deceased started to advance toward him initially and his posture appeared like he was ready to dish out additional punishment.

IMO it is subjective what lead the defendant to feel the need to pull the trigger after the firearm was drawn based on not knowing what was said before and after the firearm was drawn as you pointed out.

Regardless of what happened it was a needless situation that escalated out of hand in which someone lost their life and the other is going to prison.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Be sure to train extra hard if you are going to harass strangers in public over parking spaces. You gotta be tough if you’re gonna be stupid.
    Also one should use better judgement while interacting with others and try to avoid initiating a heated confrontation when choosing to carry a firearm that could potentially escalate into a situation such as in this case where the firearm was drawn.

Top Bottom