• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I am flying out of Chicago in the spring and going to Moab, UT. I have my Indiana LTCH and would like to take my M&P. I have a lockable steel case for the handgun, but my question is how can I legally get it to the Chicago airport? I understand all the rules to get it on the plane, just not to sure on transporting it to the airport.

Anyone have exprience flying out of Chicago with firearms?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [h=1]Guide To The Interstate Transportation Of Firearms[/h]http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

Legally you should be OK traveling from Indiana through Illinois as long as you can legally carry at your original point of travel and destination but call the Airport and Airport police to verify.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Just a thought but couldn't you Fedex it to yourself? Find a Fedex/Kinko's location near your destination and mark the parcel to be held at that location. Unless there's something about shipping arms in the mail that I'm not aware of... you're not selling it so I can't imagine why it would be a problem unlike an interstate sale in which an FFL is involved.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Don't do it imo. There may be ways to LEGALLY do it, but knowing what we know about Chicago it may take a few grand in lawyers fees to prove that what you did was legal.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just a thought but couldn't you Fedex it to yourself? Find a Fedex/Kinko's location near your destination and mark the parcel to be held at that location. Unless there's something about shipping arms in the mail that I'm not aware of... you're not selling it so I can't imagine why it would be a problem unlike an interstate sale in which an FFL is involved.

Except for using FedEx, I like the idea of shipping it if there's an address in Moab that the OP could ship to. FedEx has been getting squirrely lately with guns, even saw a recent post about FedEx refusing to ship a knife. UPS seems much more gun friendly. I would definitely look for an alternative to bringing a gun through a Chicago airport. Legal or not, that just sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I have never tried it, but I think I would look at the other options posted. no reason to chance getting arrested or losing a good gun to Chicago Police. just my :twocents:

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    The communist state of Illinois does not recognize your Indiana carry license but I know while traveling through the communist state of Illinois you can have a firearm outside of the reach of any passengers in the vehicle. The ammo has to be separate from the gun. I would disassemble the gun and keep it in a separate case from the ammo, just like you would to fly, then keep it it the farthest point on your trunk. Beware though there are grey areas concerning suv's and hatchbacks etc. My best advice would be go to your fav ffl and ship it to a reputable ffl.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The federal safe passage act only applies to interstate travel between two legal destinations across state lines

If your destination is the Chicago airport, you must follow the state law for nonresidents of Illinois, and local law of Chicago.

I know Illinois allows transport, but don't know about Chicago. But anyway, if you try to argue that the safe passage act applies because the airport is not your final destination, you will be traveling through the airport, I think your are pushing it. Lol
    ETA

This was.from a 3rd party not IL.Gov, which you should go to and look at the statutes, then go to municode and look at the ordinances for Chicago

Illinois--- Illinois permits nonresidents to transport a firearm provided it is unloaded, enclosed in a case, and not easily accessible. Nonresidents may possess an operable firearm for licensed hunting, or at a Department of Law Enforcement-recognized target shooting range or gun show.
    The City of Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns not previously timely registered in Chicago cannot be registered

Oak Park, Evanston, Morton Grove, Highland Park, Wilmette, and Winnetka prohibit the possession of a handgun. Firearms may be transported under the general rule through Chicago for a lawful recreational firearm-related activity.

Last edited:

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    Unfortunately the ticket price out od Chicago is about $250 cheaper per person, and there are 4 of us going. So flying out of a non communist airport isn't feasible.

Sounds like we are out of luck taking it on the flight. I will start checking on shipping options.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    there have been a number of threads regarding flying out of chicago with a handgun. I strongly suggest you do a search. I also believe that in passing the new CCW bill in illinois that virtually all of chicagos gun laws were overridden.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You fly out of Indy... The other 3 out of ****cago. Then mail it home to yourself, and all fly home together. I plan to see Utah myself in a year or so, but when I do, I'll be bypassing ****cago. AND be driving a truck to camp out in the wild.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I'm in the same boat. Going to Utah next spring to hike. I believe I will go the shipping route if at all possible. We are renting a house so I may see if I can ship it to arrive the day we arrive there. Interested to see what you figure out.

Dirty Steve

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I flew out of "crook county" 4 years ago enroute to Alaska with my S&W 629. Even with the old laws, if your gun is unloaded and in a locked case, you're legal if passing through there and you're legal at 'point B'. That's per the McClure-Volkmer act, AND Illinois law (I asked ISPD). Aside from the usual "don't watch the man behind the curtain, doing important gov't work", the TSA-ers were even friendly. You DO have to check it in at the airline's ticket counter and show THEM that its unloaded (because the TSA doesn't do that--they're not "qualified"), after that they put a note in the case for the TSA guy to read. Really. With all the drama over asking for your key/combo--don't watch--all they do is open the case and look: "yep, that's what we saw on the x-ray"...it'd be funny if we didn't have to pay for it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    New York is the one you have to avoid.

Lol Purple intended?
    Why purple? All of their laws concerning carrying guns have been preempted with the new state law. LTCH holders can even legally carry loaded guns in their cars in Chicago. Carrying it outside of your vehicle except to put it in the trunk is still illegal throughout the state though without an Illinois license, which aren't being handed out just yet.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Didn't some guy get arrested for trying to "re-check" a weapon a few years ago? What I remember he missed his connecting flight in Chicago so the airline gave him his luggage (with a checked firearm) and put him in a hotel for the night. He checked in next morning then...bam...arrested for having a firearm in Chicago. I'll see if I can find a link...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ...I think I got the airport wrong, all I can find is in incidents in NY and NJ.

Correct. The last one I heard a lot about was the NY incident.

Chicago holds too many variables for me to ever attempt a flight out of there with a firearm.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The communist state of Illinois does not recognize your Indiana carry license but I know while traveling through the communist state of Illinois you can have a firearm outside of the reach of any passengers in the vehicle. The ammo has to be separate from the gun. I would disassemble the gun and keep it in a separate case from the ammo, just like you would to fly, then keep it it the farthest point on your trunk. Beware though there are grey areas concerning suv's and hatchbacks etc. My best advice would be go to your fav ffl and ship it to a reputable ffl.
    Um am I being retarded here...but can't you now carry your loaded handgun on your person in Illinois as long as you leave it locked up in the car when you get out of the car. I do believe there have been a ton of threads on this since their new CCW law passed.

Top Bottom