• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Um am I being retarded here...but can't you now carry your loaded handgun on your person in Illinois as long as you leave it locked up in the car when you get out of the car. I do believe there have been a ton of threads on this since their new CCW law passed.

You are correct. You are allowed to carry your loaded firearm on your person while in your vehicle. It has to left in the locked vehicle when you exit.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The communist state of Illinois does not recognize your Indiana carry license but I know while traveling through the communist state of Illinois you can have a firearm outside of the reach of any passengers in the vehicle. The ammo has to be separate from the gun. I would disassemble the gun and keep it in a separate case from the ammo, just like you would to fly, then keep it it the farthest point on your trunk. Beware though there are grey areas concerning suv's and hatchbacks etc. My best advice would be go to your fav ffl and ship it to a reputable ffl.

This wasn't true, and is doubly not true with IL's new CCW law. As Illinois law has always stated, a firearm transported in a vehicle must be unloaded, in a case and not readily accessible. If you have an SUV or a truck without a separate compartment, prudence would suggest you lock the case. Ammo does not have to be separate, can be in loaded mags, just not in the gun.

Since the CCW law, if you are transporting a handgun, you can have the loaded handgun on your person so long as you are in your vehicle. If you exit the vehicle, the firearm must remain inside and the vehicle locked. If for some stupid reason you don't like to lock your vehicle, the gun must be locked in a case. Long guns still have to be transported as stated in the first paragraph.

As far as flying goes, I've flown with guns out of Chicago-Midway twice. Both times it was a very pleasant experience. I transported my guns locked in a Pelican case to the airport. Upon arriving at the airport, I unlocked the case. At the ticket counter, you declare to the ticket agent that you need to declare firearms. They may or may not have you prove that they are unloaded, I've never had them ask. They give you a little slip to fill out which goes in your bag. I put my Pelican case inside a soft-sided duffel bag to make it less conspicuous. You must have the gun inside a hard-sided case, but that case can be a soft-sided suitcase.

After you finish with the ticket agent, they send you over to a separate screening area, where a TSA agent inspects your bag. They will look over your case (though they never touched my firearms) and swab it for explosives. You are able to stand right there and observe the whole time. Once they finish with your case, they allow you to put locks on it (good locks, not the crappy TSA locks) and you retain the key. The TSA agent then puts your case on the conveyor and off it goes. The ticket agents and TSA agents in Chicago have always handled it politely, professionally and didn't make me feel like I was doing anything wrong.

Just make sure to give yourself an extra 20 minutes or so before you go through security as the little bit of paperwork for you and the ticket agent and the TSA inspection add a little time.

Flying out of Chicago is not nearly as scary or illegal as most of the posts make it out to be.

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
    Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded and,
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Source: Illinois State Police titled “Transport Your Gun Legally” – Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms. George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director.

(Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois, ISP Central Printing Section, ISP 1-154 [8-00] 70M).

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
    Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded and,
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Source: Illinois State Police titled “Transport Your Gun Legally” – Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms. George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director.

(Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois, ISP Central Printing Section, ISP 1-154 [8-00] 70M).

Post CCW law (at least for handguns): Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I would error on the side of caution. Illinois is issuing ccw's only because they are being forced to by a federal judge. A lot of places in Illinois you would probably be fine but I still believe that Chicago is a totally different animal. Chicago especially is extremely anti gun and known for corruption. So what happens when you get pulled over there? Illinois still does Not honor any other states carry license and god forbid you actually have to defend yourself over there. The jury pool is going to be a LOT different over there than it would be most places here. Obviously you won't have any trouble with tsa because as long as you follow their rules, everything else as far as legalities of your gun and how you got it to the airport are way above their pay scale. I originally posted because I just completed the class for my Utah permit and we discussed carrying in Illinois quite a bit. Our instructor was a Marshall county deputy. You have to remember where you are and who your dealing with in Chicago, the law means very little to some people their and would love to make an example out of a evil out of town gun toter. I know I don't want to be the first guinea pig but if you do get stopped and arrested you can just tell them their wrong and not to worry that you got your legal advice from some guy on INGO. I'm sure they would just let you go after that.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would error on the side of caution. Illinois is issuing ccw's only because they are being forced to by a federal judge. A lot of places in Illinois you would probably be fine but I still believe that Chicago is a totally different animal. Chicago especially is extremely anti gun and known for corruption. So what happens when you get pulled over there? Illinois still does Not honor any other states carry license and god forbid you actually have to defend yourself over there. The jury pool is going to be a LOT different over there than it would be most places here. Obviously you won't have any trouble with tsa because as long as you follow their rules, everything else as far as legalities of your gun and how you got it to the airport are way above their pay scale. I originally posted because I just completed the class for my Utah permit and we discussed carrying in Illinois quite a bit. Our instructor was a Marshall county deputy. You have to remember where you are and who your dealing with in Chicago, the law means very little to some people their and would love to make an example out of a evil out of town gun toter. I know I don't want to be the first guinea pig but if you do get stopped and arrested you can just tell them their wrong and not to worry that you got your legal advice from some guy on INGO. I'm sure they would just let you go after that.

Uninformed panic stricken posts like this do nothing to educate people or spread relevant information. Do you have any information or facts at all to back up your post? Have you ever been to chicago? Do you know anyone who has ever been stopped and prosecuted for a gun violation there? Do you believe that no one transports guns through there or takes them on flights out of chicago?

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Uninformed panic stricken posts like this do nothing to educate people or spread relevant information. Do you have any information or facts at all to back up your post? Have you ever been to chicago? Do you know anyone who has ever been stopped and prosecuted for a gun violation there? Do you believe that no one transports guns through there or takes them on flights out of chicago?
    Its not uninformed im taking advice from law enforcement officials that know the law and all of the grey areas within. I don't believe its fear stricken to error on the side of caution especially when this new law has not been tested by any actual case law yet.

Prosecutors, judges ignore federal ruling against state conceal carry ban - Chicago Tribune
    Concealed carry ban at center of Chicago man's weapons case - Chicago Tribune

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by g00n24 Um am I being retarded here...but can't you now carry your loaded handgun on your person in Illinois as long as you leave it locked up in the car when you get out of the car. I do believe there have been a ton of threads on this since their new CCW law passed.
    You are correct. You are allowed to carry your loaded firearm on your person while in your vehicle. It has to left in the locked vehicle when you exit.

Your correct it is legal but its also legal to carry your AR into Wal-Mart shopping but I guarantee you your still going to be arrested for something such as disorderly conduct. Chicago has already set a precedent that they will still arrest people for lawful carry:
    Prosecutors, judges ignore federal ruling against state conceal carry ban - Chicago Tribune

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by g00n24 Um am I being retarded here...but can't you now carry your loaded handgun on your person in Illinois as long as you leave it locked up in the car when you get out of the car. I do believe there have been a ton of threads on this since their new CCW law passed.

Your correct it is legal but its also legal to carry your AR into Wal-Mart shopping but I guarantee you your still going to be arrested for something such as disorderly conduct. Chicago has already set a precedent that they will still arrest people for lawful carry:
    I understand where you are coming from. I live in NW Indiana and hear all the time about how corrupt Chicago is, I get that they are basically separate from the rest of Illinois. But if you aren't breaking any laws, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong. Even if you have to spend a few days in the poky, that would be worlds better than spending the rest of your life underground (say if a violent car jacking should happen to you). It would probably end up being a legal headache if you had to use your gun while legally carrying it through Illinois/Chicago, but so what...you're alive. You don't even need to report to the officer unless they specifically ask under their new law if you are carrying or not (if pulled over).

As far as hearing from a guy that gave the Utah CCW class...I took that class too, I have no idea if the one you took was with the same guys I had but they gave some pretty bad information for people to follow. Which was unfortunate because most of the class was made up by people who had no idea of their rights and gun laws. I argued briefly with one of them after they said we MUST inform an officer if you are carrying if they ask in INDIANA. I said you absolutely do not need to, in which he responded by saying he would violate my civil rights by arresting me and making sure I wouldn't have my LTCH anymore...Cops are NOT lawyers...do yourself a favor and don't take legal advice from them.

That is not a stab at LEO's by the way, as you shouldn't take legal advice from anyone who is not a lawyer! Including all of us legal scholars on INGO!

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I understand where you are coming from. I live in NW Indiana and hear all the time about how corrupt Chicago is, I get that they are basically separate from the rest of Illinois. But if you aren't breaking any laws, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong. Even if you have to spend a few days in the poky, that would be worlds better than spending the rest of your life underground (say if a violent car jacking should happen to you). It would probably end up being a legal headache if you had to use your gun while legally carrying it through Illinois/Chicago, but so what...you're alive. You don't even need to report to the officer unless they specifically ask under their new law if you are carrying or not (if pulled over).

As far as hearing from a guy that gave the Utah CCW class...I took that class too, I have no idea if the one you took was with the same guys I had but they gave some pretty bad information for people to follow. Which was unfortunate because most of the class was made up by people who had no idea of their rights and gun laws. I argued briefly with one of them after they said we MUST inform an officer if you are carrying if they ask in INDIANA. I said you absolutely do not need to, in which he responded by saying he would violate my civil rights by arresting me and making sure I wouldn't have my LTCH anymore...Cops are NOT lawyers...do yourself a favor and don't take legal advice from them.

That is not a stab at LEO's by the way, as you shouldn't take legal advice from anyone who is not a lawyer! Including all of us legal scholars on INGO!

I agree with you 100% if I Had to travel there I would be armed but knowing that I would be in a legal fight for my life. My point was just because it may be legal doesn't mean their can't be any negative consequences. I know what your saying about legal advice from Leo. These guys were pretty squared away and his advice was more cautionary than legal since you can carry there. His point was its better to be more legal than you need to be to avoid conflict with a Leo over there since there's a chance they could be not gun friendly. It's kind of like I avoid pieres in ft Wayne because of the gang bangers and the gun fights that breAkout there. I can go there legally I just choose to avoid trouble.altogether.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Its not uninformed im taking advice from law enforcement officials that know the law and all of the grey areas within. I don't believe its fear stricken to error on the side of caution especially when this new law has not been tested by any actual case law yet.

So your Marshal county Sheriff is an expert on the new Illinois gun laws. I work in chicago every day and since the ccw law has passed I have been legally in my car at work every day. Two to 3 days a week I am in contact with chicago cops working in uniform off duty as private security. I have had converstions with at least a dozen of them regarding the new laws. Every single one of them has stated that they are aware of the new laws and that they as a department and as individuals are very concerned about civil suits due to arresting people wo are largely within the law. To paraphrase virtually all of the conversations, they are saying that if you have a carry card from your home state and you are not involved in a commiting a crime they don't want to have anything to do with your gun. They don't consider speeding and minor traffic violations a crime. In the contexts of my conversations I have made it clear that I have a loaded gun locked in my car and none of them have been concerned in the least. As mentioned earlier transporting a unloaded gun has always been legal in Illinois, I believe its a bit paronoid to think they will search your car, find your unloaded gun, ignore your airline ticket and still haul you off to jail, but its your right to believe as you wish.

This is not meant as legal advise but its my experience and by the way in both of the cases you cut and pasted the persons arrested were clearly breaking the law, the old and new ones

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like we should be good to go based on actual events of traveling through the chicago airport with firearms.

I am also still nervous like some other people have posted.

So color me nervous but optimistic.

NetPIMP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    How did this go? Flying out of Midway to TX at end of the month as well...

Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like we should be good to go based on actual events of traveling through the chicago airport with firearms.

I am also still nervous like some other people have posted.

So color me nervous but optimistic.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just a thought but couldn't you Fedex it to yourself? Find a Fedex/Kinko's location near your destination and mark the parcel to be held at that location. Unless there's something about shipping arms in the mail that I'm not aware of... you're not selling it so I can't imagine why it would be a problem unlike an interstate sale in which an FFL is involved.
    While PERFECTLY legal, FedEx will now ONLY ship to a licensed dealer!

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I do it all the time when I travel to FL. It's locked up in a "Boyd" hard case for gun travel and put in trunk or back with other suitcases that will go on flight. Ammo is packed separately in my personal suitcase. I'm taking my gun from a state I can legally CCW in to FL where I can legally CCW. No one ever asked me how I smuggled it into the airport. As an aside, if there is one city where you need a gun for self protection its Chicago. Have you ever driven down 59th street to Midway? There's more potholes on that street than cars. If your car breaks down on way the way to Midway....well just say You're on own. Like they say, rather be judged by 12 than buried by 6.

Top Bottom