Flying with firearms. What should I be prepared for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Ok so I'm taking a in a few months and want you guys input on the flying with firearms issue. I have read and understand all laws/regulations from tsa and the airline that I am flying on. What are your experiences flying with firearms in your checked baggage out of IND airport? I have a hard sided case (pelican) to be placed inside my main luggage piece. When I search online about thefts of firearms inside baggage there are some good stories and some BAD ones that include theft. Southwest is the airline I will be flying. It will be my first time flying ever. Thanks :ingo:

Edit: Yes the LTCH is valid from indiana to where I'm flying to.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Call the airline ahead of time. Show up at least 2 hours early before your flight leaves. Have the ammo OUTSIDE the pelican case. Give a spare key to some one you're flying with in case you loose your keys. Be prepared for a LOT of attitude from the TSA morons. Put your name and info hidden inside the pelican case...

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I flew South West a few months a go.
    Do not give a spare to anyone else, or at the least don't tell anyone you're doing this TSA says you're the only one who can open the gun case.
    I put TSA approved locks on my suitcase, but had a standard lock on the gun case.
    INDY rep had me prove to her that the gun was unloaded before checking bags. Of course it goes with out saying double check this BEFORE getting to the airport. No ammo in the gun case.
    I purchased a plastic case at the gun store in the reloading section that holds ammo. This is approved because all the ammo is held seperately like it would be in a factory box.
    In Las Vegas The rep didn't ask me to take the gun out of it's case When I told her there was a gun she said fine and just filled out the appropriate forms. She did however have a problem with my carrying case for the ammo, until corrected by another employee.
    In short it really wasn't too big of a deal, but be prepared for reps who may not know the rules very well. It's in your best interest to know the rule better then them. It didn't really slow me down too much. You'll have to check your bags inside not at the curb. This may or may not add much to your wait depending on the lines inside.
    Take care and have a good flight

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    No big deal even when flying in and out of Chicago.

Do your homework and be polite. Most airline employees seem to to this regularly. If you are stuck in line, tell whomever is supervising the line that you have an item to declare and you most likely will be allowed to cut ahead of other passengers. Be sure they understand that the weapon will be in "checked baggage" or they might give you a LEO form by mistake.

Buckaroo

gmercer308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Lake Village, IN
    I have flown a few times and checked in my firearm. The first time was out of Midway and I did get a little hassle over the case being able open a hair in one corner, but they let me keep it like that as long as I locked my suitcase as well. After that I then bought a nice case for flying with my firearm.

When you go to the counter, just declare you have an Unloaded Firearm. Some do ask for you to open the container to prove it, then they have you sign a unloaded firearm declaration and they place it in the case. They may wipe it down and make sure there is nothing in there. But when you go to bigger airports, some just run it through the machine and you are asked to wait, and if it clears you're good. I know O'hare and Houston just ran it through, and did not ask me to open it. But in Charlotte and Midway I had to open my case for them. Either way it does not take a ton of time. Maybe an extra 5 minutes in line.

As for the ammo in the same case as the firearm, that is how I carried it. I have a 20rnd small box of hornady TAP defense rounds that I kept the manufactures box for and it fits perfectly in the case.

Per TSA website : TSA: Traveling with Special Items

It says: You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

And: You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

It's really not as nerve racking as I thought it would be. Just make sure the hard case you have can't be opened while locked, even if it is the TINIEST bit. They will give you a very hard time about that.

Have a safe trip.

Top Bottom