• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is a simple cut and paste from, of all places, yahoo answers!

"I gave up on the Fobus paddle holsters after two failures. I have a S&W 940 and had a paddle for it. I was practicing my draw when I apparently pulled on it the wrong way. There was a snapping sound as the paddle broke and a stabbing pain when it bit into my "love handle". I had another paddle for my 1911 duty gun. One day, while wearing it, I responded with a fellow officer to a call. I jumped into the passenger side of the patrol car and caught the butt of my gun on the door frame. Another snaping sound and my gun and holster were lying on the ground. I don't use plastic anymore."

These situations also do not take into account the original recall on Fobus for discharging firearms as they were reholstered. Any company can have a bad product, but AFTER a recall, and your product is still bad?

This is just a product review, not a failure, take it, and anything I say accordingly, if you don't agree, to each his own.

star_full.gif

John Galbraith of Alachua, Fl
    Date Posted: 4/29/2008
    The fit on the Fobus holster for my 1911 is so sloppy that I refuse to use it. I e-mailed Fobus and told them the problem and they did not even bother to respond. Maybe this was just an early holster, about 4 yrs old, but the failure to respond sent a negative message. Even the holster for my Glock 19 is somewhat loose, but it is so worn that I don't worry about it. No more Fobus anything for me.
    Was this review helpful? Yes | No

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    So what??????

This is a simple cut and paste from, of all places, yahoo answers! quote]

I can match you quote to quote all night, what does that prove? PERSONAL EXPERIENCE counts. :dunno:

The Fobus SP11 is your right hand man when it comes to holsters...

Written: Feb 06 '08

Product Rating:
    5_big_stars.gif
    </SPAN>Pros: Light, tough construction, comfortable and stable when in use, adjustable grip tension.

Cons: None really, it does everything it's supposed to!

The Bottom Line: If your looking for a durable holster for range or duty carry, the Fobus SP11 is a great match to the Springfield XD tactical firearms.

openroad's Full Review: Fobus SP11 Paddle Holster Rh Spr Armory Xd+Fobus SP11 Paddle Holster
    MSRP: $25.00

Springfield Armory has made quite a name for themselves by producing affordable handguns that are available in many sizes for personal protection, sporting use, and law enforcement. The model XD 9mm is the most common model in the expansive XD family and is available in 3", 4" and the Tactical 5" barrel lengths. The 5" model with it's longer barrel offers more long distance accuracy and less recoil, although due to its size you'll find more of them in law enforcement or home defense applications. Many different holsters are readily available for the smaller concealed carry sized XDs, but finding a quality holster for the Tactical 5" proved very frustrating. Most holsters I was interested in were only available for the 3" & 4" models. The included holster with the XD9 was a Kydex (very hard polymer plastic material) model and the fit on the gun frame was much too tight for my liking. I finally found the Fobus SP11 RH Tactical holster at a sporting goods superstore and great was my rejoicing.

This series of holsters was designed in Israel for the world's security and law enforcement. Injection molded plastic and tough design makes the Fobus Paddle Holsters a durable and easy to use tool while keeping the price very affordable. The Fobus SP11 isn't a quick draw or concealable holster per se, it's designed to be worn only on the right side and rides somewhat high on your belt. I needed a holster for use at the range and this model fit the bill perfectly. SInce I don't like a tight fit on the slide and frame area, I was glad to see the tension is adjustable by a center-mounted screw near the bottom of the holster. Loosen the screw to decrease the tightness of the holster's grip on the firearm, tighten the screw to increase it. The large paddle-like backing plate which snugs behind your belt gives the SP11 a firm and stable platform when drawing or holstering your XD. It also does double duty by comfortably distributing the weight of the holster and firearm evenly along your waist, something which cheaper holsters with their narrow, hard belt clips don't do very well.

After using the SP11 on many different occasions I've found it to be comfortable to wear and easy to use. It holds my XD snugly without making it too hard to draw, and allows to jog or run without the whole setup flopping around at my waist. Since the external frame sizes are the same, the SP11 fits 9mm, S&W .40, .45 ACP, and .357 model XDs with the 5" barrel. If you own or are in the market for a Springfield Armory XD Tactical 5", I'd give the SP11 holster an enthusiastic thumbs up from a satisfied owner!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Another review:

star_full.gif
    star_full.gif
    star_full.gif
    star_full.gif

John Bloemer of Fort Mitchell, KY
    Date Posted: 8/23/2008
    Both a Colt Government Model Series 70 1911 and the S&W 1911 .45 ACP pistols fit in this holster and are retained well, and draw well. However, both are not held firmly when fully holstered, i.e., they "rattle" slightly. This may pose as an issue if used for concealed carry. No way to adjust tension of hold/draw either. The front inch of the slides and the front sight protrude out the bottom of the holster as well. This is supposed to be a "minimalist" holster for a .45 though. I still consider this a good deal for the money.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is a simple cut and paste from, of all places, yahoo answers! quote]

I can match you quote to quote all night, what does that prove? PERSONAL EXPERIENCE counts. :dunno:

:dunno:I guess since you overlooked my attempt to tell you about PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the Fobus, I'll have to continue to find video, and product reviews.? You don't have to agree with me, I really don't care, you asked I answered?:dunno:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    And I must say, when i first got the holster, it was ridiculous how tight it held the gun, it had to be broken in. Now it still holds it extremely well, but draws nice and smooth, just had to learn that the gun must be pulled out exactly straight.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    And I must say, when i first got the holster, it was ridiculous how tight it held the gun, it had to be broken in. Now it still holds it extremely well, but draws nice and smooth, just had to learn that the gun must be pulled out exactly straight.
    Same experience here. No issues with it being sloppy or a loose fit against my belt/waistband.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I have several Fobus holsters, and I can say I would never go to the Internet to decide what works or doesn't work, especially Yahoo answers, when it comes to a holster. You have to experiment. For the guns I carry in a Fobus, they work well and are comfortable.

What works for me maybe doesn't work for someone else built differently, etc.

But I read above from the Yahoo post -- "discharging firearms as they were reholstered"

-- How the hell did someone pull that off? Sounds like operator error to me, not the fault of a holster.

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I have a fobus holster for every handgun I own. G32, G29, Sig 226, CZ 75B, Springfield Operator and RIA 1911. I have had no problems with them at all. I usually take my G32 with me when I ride my ATV. It has never once come out of the fobus through mud, water, getting hit by tree limbs or what ever gets thrown at it.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    *** snip ***
    But I read above from the Yahoo post -- "discharging firearms as they were reholstered"

-- How the hell did someone pull that off? Sounds like operator error to me, not the fault of a holster.

I have heard that it is possible to get the drawstring from your jacket into the trigger guard. When you re-holster it can cause the trigger to be pulled.

BTW I have had my paddle for 3 years now. Use it almost every day. Put my Glock in and out of it without any problems with retention. It is as sound as the day I purchased it. And they are warranted for life.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Wait for a report

I have heard that it is possible to get the drawstring from your jacket into the trigger guard. When you re-holster it can cause the trigger to be pulled. BTW I have had my paddle for 3 years now. Use it almost every day. Put my Glock in and out of it without any problems with retention. It is as sound as the day I purchased it. And they are warranted for life.

I would guess anyone could get a drawstring in any holster so I would think that is a universal problem to prevent. When I get my holster in and use it for awhile I will give a report to the site; until then I think we beat the dead horse enough. Thanks to everyone for the input, positive or negative. Of course mine will be just another personal opinion like all the others. :D

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Posted on a police web site about Walthers P99

I have owned and carried as a duty weapon a first generation P99 in 40SW for about six years. It has served me well with zero malfunctions through 2000+ rounds and weeks on end of dirty, sweaty concealed carry. I am a big fan of the 'second strike' capability of the weapons trigger system and it has proven itself during a live fire exercise.

Pair it with a FOBUS holster and you can't go wrong.
    The only downside is the mag release can take some getting used to and still requires a slight change in grip with smaller hands. Otherwise it is nearly perfect.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have owned and carried as a duty weapon a first generation P99 in 40SW for about six years. It has served me well with zero malfunctions through 2000+ rounds and weeks on end of dirty, sweaty concealed carry. I am a big fan of the 'second strike' capability of the weapons trigger system and it has proven itself during a live fire exercise.

Pair it with a FOBUS holster and you can't go wrong.
    The only downside is the mag release can take some getting used to and still requires a slight change in grip with smaller hands. Otherwise it is nearly perfect.
    Good to hear that. Keep us updated. :yesway:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's how Fobus Holsters are.You either love 'em or hate 'em and I should know as I sell them.I also sell other brands for a similar price point and I usually sell out of Fobus first at a gunshow.I think a lot of it has to do with Fobus' aggressive advertising program but some people just love 'em.:popcorn:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got one of the roto 360's for my G30 and I really like it. Not quite as low profile as the regular one for my buddy's G17. but I like the adjustability. I have other holsters for deep concealment anyways, lol.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Fobus question

I've got one of the roto 360's for my G30 and I really like it. Not quite as low profile as the regular one for my buddy's G17. but I like the adjustability. I have other holsters for deep concealment anyways, lol.

I received my Fobus Roto Paddle Holster (for my Walther P99c) that I bought off of Ebay for $24.99 and free delivery. It really feels nice on my belt and holds the gun really tight which is my question to those who use these holsters. I tried it on the right side and could not pull the gun out; moved it to a cross draw and if I grab the bottom of the holster and give a quick pull it pops right out. I went back and tried it on the right side again and no luck.

I must be doing something wrong; any ideas? Tried some dry lube and that didn't help. I also tried spreading the holster as instructed in their web site and still cannot draw from the strong side.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. I know it is me and not the holster so once I figure how to use it I will feel even better. Quality looks acceptable. :draw:

Dick

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hopefully it will get slicker the more you draw it.I usually suggest some silicone spray then wipe the excess with a papertowel.

Top Bottom