• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If you have a heat gun, you can heat these holsters up and change the way they grip your gun. They are moldable. Some have put them in a oven and softened them, I personally like to use the heat gun because I can just change the spots I want to.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I do draw straight

The trick is (at least for me) to draw exactly parallel to holster. it has to be pulled straight out.
    dr

I do try to draw straight out and cannot draw from the right side but can from the left with a cross draw. I has to be me. I grab the holster bottom when cross drawing and pull it comes out hard but comes out. With the holster on the right side I cannot seem to pull it out and do not hold the bottom like I do on the left. Guess it is back to the practice. Maybe I will try heating and opening it up a little.

Thanks for the input guys. This is what this site is all about.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Sprayed it with dry silicone and still could not pull on the right side. I am sure it is me.

you gotta pull it straight out. It can't be angled any as you pull it out or else the retention will hold on. That's why cops like them. An assailant can try to go for the gun from the front, but pulling at the angle it will not draw. You pull straight up and out, and mine is slick as butter. Me and a buddy (yamaha on here) had a little contest one night on who had the quicker draw. Both with glocks, and both with fobus holsters. I won, lol

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    dr

I do try to draw straight out and cannot draw from the right side but can from the left with a cross draw. I has to be me. I grab the holster bottom when cross drawing and pull it comes out hard but comes out. With the holster on the right side I cannot seem to pull it out and do not hold the bottom like I do on the left. Guess it is back to the practice. Maybe I will try heating and opening it up a little.

Thanks for the input guys. This is what this site is all about.

Ok, I've been looking at this for a while and contemplating a comment so here goes.

First, stop grabbing the bottom of the holster with the support side hand. That's a great way to develop a really bad habit that could get you seriously hurt in the future. There's no way to draw a gun doing that without pointing it at yourself several times.

Second, not a bang on the holster just a comment, if you have any holster setup that does not allow you to draw and use the weapon with one hand, take it off and throw it in the trash. I'll grant you that you may be able to heat this thing up with a hairdryer and make it work, but failing sucess with that, throw it away. Things on the street often happen way to fast and way to close to tie up both hands drawing your pistol.

Last one, barring certain situations where I make an informed decision to purchase a holster with an "additional" retention device for some reason, if the carry gear compromises my practiced and ingrained drawstroke it gets dumped. Yea, that means I have the drawer full of holsters that didn't work, but such is life. I guess my life is worth a little more to me than continuing to carry in a holster that doesn't work just because I spent cash on it.

Remember, back to the old adage mission drives the gear train. What's your mission? Keep my butt alive for one more day. If any gear doesn't move you towards that goal, bye-bye.

Just my thoughts and experience,

Tinman....

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    How to loosen your holster

And I must say, when i first got the holster, it was ridiculous how tight it held the gun, it had to be broken in. Now it still holds it extremely well, but draws nice and smooth, just had to learn that the gun must be pulled out exactly straight.

I just bought my second Fobus, this one for my Kahr MK40 and it was so tight once I put it in the holster I could not remove my gun no matter how hard I tried. Lots of oil and a screw driver to pry it open let me finally get the gun out of the holster.

What I ended up doing is using a heat gun to soften the plastic enough to allow me to reduce the amount of material holding the trigger guard by pressing from the inside and now the gun comes right out when pulled but does not fall out even if you turn it up side down and shake it. It took all of five minutes and worked great. Just make sure you do not overheat the holseter.

Top Bottom