Folks with hunting experience: thoughts on scout rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got Burris 2.75x fixed scopes on my scout set ups. One is on a Mosin M38, and the other is on a Yugo M48A. Easy hits out to 200. Can do 350, but not as consistently, and that's probably on me, not the scope.

KSAR1Kl.jpg
    [/IMG]

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Recently I was able to use a 3.5x acog at 400yards without any real difficulty or training. I'm beginning to think magnification is overrated

With a clear target in the open at reasonable ranges low magnification scopes are more than sufficient to place accurate. Where additional magnification is helpful is when the target is in moderate to thick cover with other animals around it.

Imo modern optics have made forward mounting optics obsolete. Some of the modern 1-6 or 1-8s have great eye box's that you can easily run both eyes open like a reflex up until 3x or so. This keeps a wide field of view, but still let's you dial up the magnification if needed.

Yes, if there was ever a time the scout concept made much sense then that time is past. A standard eye relief scope set on a low power setting with a wide field of view is just as fast as a scout setup. When you stop and think about it, scout setups don't show up where you would think they would (ie. in the military, at moderate range, timed rifle completions, and in dangerous game hunting) , if they were the best at accomplishing their intended purpose.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've hunted all my life and ever since the Slug only restriction got lifted I've tried to find the perfect deer rifle (means different things to different people). I my journey I hunted 1 year with the Puma Scout rifle exactly as set up from the factory
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...5x32-scope-and-mount-included-082146702873.do

Rifle was reasonable accurate and had the Jeff cooper Perfect scope combo of a 2.5x mounted forward of the action. I hunted with it the entire season and I think I got 2 or 3 deer that year with it. Ended up it wasn't for me, When you put an Optical scope forward like that it really limits your field of view while hunting. It didn't seem like it did while I was practicing but when I was in the woods under "hunting" conditions I found that low light performance SUCKED and finding deer in the scope was difficult. I almost didn't harvest the buck I ended up with because of the low light performance and the lack of field view. I was so unhappy with it I cleaned it up put it back in the box and sold it.

My go to rifle is a Ruger 77/44 with a Burris Fast fire 2 mounted just behind the ejection port.

The awkwardness of an optic with magnification our at arms length was more than I could get used too. I dont' know why the scope didn't perform well in low light but I've used all sorts of scopes at standard 3-4 inches from the eye and never experienced the same issue. Years ago was using a 35 Rem. Contender with a Simmons pistol scope on it and I had similar experiences with finding grey deer in grey light against a grey background on a grey day.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought the Scout concept was to have a rifle that had an optic but readily available iron sights.
    If not wanting something to be able to go "back and forth"........just skip it.

Never thought Cooper's idea was to have the rifle be "best" at anything.
    It was designed to just do anything.

And...........who in the hell wants to go through life with just one rifle?

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I thought the Scout concept was to have a rifle that had an optic but readily available iron sights.
    If not wanting something to be able to go "back and forth"........just skip it.

Never thought Cooper's idea was to have the rifle be "best" at anything.
    It was designed to just do anything.

And...........who in the hell wants to go through life with just one rifle?

It was, and was supposed to be a do all squad weapon. I believe they developed fighting tactics around a unlit of 4 or 5 carrying these. Steyr was the only cooper approved rifle, being he actually had a say in its design deeper than concept.

If i had one it would have a 1-4 in qd rings, but would probably be an iron sight rifle primarily.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As I understand the Scout Rifle concept...

You scan the area for a target.
    When you identify your target, you shoulder the rifle while keeping your eyes on the target.
    Because you have practiced shouldering your rifle the same way every time, when the butt hits your shoulder, the scope provides a magnified circle in the center of the field of view of your dominant eye with the cross hairs centered, or nearly centered, on the target. You have peripheral vision around the magnified circle of the scope. You keep both eyes open.
    The peripheral vision around the scope is the main advantage I see to the Scout concept. It is best suited to "scan, shoulder, shoot" situations and not well suited to "look through the scope to find your target" scenarios.

The Scout concept is meant to be fast and to avoid getting "lost in the scope" wherein a limited field of view causes you to lose sight of your target. The advantages over iron sights are that magnification of the target can provide a more precise aiming point and that the target and cross hairs are in the same optical plane. That helps with aging eyes with limited focusing abilities.

If "scan, shoulder, shoot" doesn't fit your hunting style, Scout probably doesn't have any advantage for you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL.........Chucky says a reg scope mounted low is best.
    Looking at the average Bambi slayer's rig........one would think a 40mm objective has to be at least 1" off the barrel ;)
    If they're going to handicap themselves with see through rings or other, might as well go for max punishment and set up a scout rifle.

I do think Cooper put too much emphasis on having the top open for reloading.
    And for clearing jams.

But then we're talking about hunting non biting critters here.
    As such, one IMHO would choose a scout rifle.........just to be able to shoot a deer with a scout rifle.
    Something different.

Me? I am rather sold on a Rem 760 in .35 rem for Indiana deer hunting.

Hmmmm, come to think of it........I have seen a lot of people fumble their stuff at the range. Maybe having access to the top is an advantage for the average klutz.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    LOL.........Chucky says a reg scope mounted low is best.
    Looking at the average Bambi slayer's rig........one would think a 40mm objective has to be at least 1" off the barrel ;)
    If they're going to handicap themselves with see through rings or other, might as well go for max punishment and set up a scout rifle.

I do think Cooper put too much emphasis on having the top open for reloading.
    And for clearing jams.

But then we're talking about hunting non biting critters here.
    As such, one IMHO would choose a scout rifle.........just to be able to shoot a deer with a scout rifle.
    Something different.

Me? I am rather sold on a Rem 760 in .35 rem for Indiana deer hunting.

I have seen a lot of people fumble their stuff at the range. Maybe having access to the top is an advantage for the average klutz.

High ring fad kills me. I've seen a growing number of one piece ar cantilevers on bolt guns.... adjustable combs all the way up and some neoprene to get that extra quarter inch of height.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Of course when I worked in a gunshop and was messing with my junk, had more than one expert tell me I was too critical on ring height, comb height or balance.
    But then I don't shoot my deer when only standing stone still, head behind a tree, the planets aligned, on a Thursday when the ol lady made meatloaf.
    I'll shoot em sometimes moving. With ease.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gun fit is important.
    If wanting a rig with usable irons and optic.........maybe the scout system is the way to go.
    Me? If having one gun I'd go optics, conventional location.
    Iron sights are cool though (if your eyeballs still good).

Hell, get a scoped gun, an iron sighted one, and THEN a scout rifle.
    3 rifles instead of one.
    But why stop at 3?

:)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Only one recommendation, train yourself with the rig, not just on the bench.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout 16” with synthetic stock and weaver fixed scout scope in Warne QD rings. I like the forward mounting position. I did not buy this as a sniper setup. I harvested two deer and a couple coyotes this year. Range from 15 to 220 yards. I know it is not for everybody, but the system works for me.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout 16” with synthetic stock and weaver fixed scout scope in Warne QD rings. I like the forward mounting position. I did not buy this as a sniper setup. I harvested two deer and a couple coyotes this year. Range from 15 to 220 yards. I know it is not for everybody, but the system works for me.
    I have the same setup except a Leupold Scout scope. Last deer I took with it was moving fast, not running 80 yards, easy shot placement. Have a good sight picture when shouldered, no looking for the reticle.

I find the scout setup very versatile to 200 yards or so.

Don

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I have a scout scope on a lever action and positively love it. I shoot with both eyes open so the field of view is enormous - as big as my peripheral vision. But the target is magnified right in front of me. That's exactly what I want when out hunting. 2.5x is plenty good out to the 200 yd max range of my rifle.

I like how I can wrap my hand around the action, right at the balance point of the rifle, without the scope getting in the way. It just carries better than a traditionally scoped rifle.

Plenty of people don't like the scout scope. That's their prerogative. But I like it just fine!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom