• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Are you saying there hasn't been people in the US that have been taken off "EBT" and then found jobs.
    I thought there was all kinds of that happening during President Clinton's term.

No, I was expanding the government programs people are on who claim they can't work.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    No worky = no eaty. They become a much more temporary problem. It is absolutely a cold and callous way of looking at things but I'm tired of being responsible for the poor decisions of others. People are rewarded for making bad decisions. We are near the point where those of us who choose to work for a living and support ourselves and our families look like idiots for doing so. We are being used and taken advantage of.

People responsible for putting a roof over their own head and food into their own mouth don't have time to be drug addicts.
    I agree wholeheartedly but that makes both of us insensitive to the less fortunate among us.
    Not the change the subject but I also don't think it's right that I'm retired and still paying taxes because to feel useful I still work a few days a week. I don't mind paying my share but when I hear almost half the country doesn't pay taxes if frosts me. I'm for cleansing the gene pool of those that are capable but refuse take responsibility for themselves. No worky, no eaty would suit me fine. I'm sure that will upset some but I'm tired of contributing to people that have a have no interest in improving their own life makes me an uncaring person.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree wholeheartedly but that makes both of us insensitive to the less fortunate among us.
    Not the change the subject but I also don't think it's right that I'm retired and still paying taxes because to feel useful I still work a few days a week. I don't mind paying my share but when I hear almost half the country doesn't pay taxes if frosts me. I'm for cleansing the gene pool of those that are capable but refuse take responsibility for themselves. No worky, no eaty would suit me fine. I'm sure that will upset some but I'm tired of contributing to people that have a have no interest in improving their own life makes me an uncaring person.

As I feel pretty much the same way I could give a rats "A" who is upset by my opinion on this. No worky no eaty.
    I to am retired and still working. (That sounds odd) to support my hobbies and desires.
    There are unfortunate folks who for no fault of their own can not work to provide. Those we need to help.
    If you make the choice to travel the road to addiction.........on your own spanky.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am really, really mixed on this. In theory I agree with the "no work" = "no eat." However, I drive people who are elderly and disabled and have done so for years. Our society HAS changed over time, for the better in many regards with the disabled.

I see about three (3) groups of disabled people. Group #1 is physically incapable today and many years ago from being able to work. I have zero problem helping them.

Group #2 is NOW physically incapable of working but could have been trained to do so 40 years ago when they were very young. I have zero problem helping them as society back then wouldn't allow them to work and they are past helping now. We have to remember that many years ago someone with a physical or mental disability was basically pushed into living off the state. Even IF they wanted to work nobody would hire them. Who wanted a "cripple" in the office? It would be embarrassing to them and their coworkers as obviously they couldn't do the work.:xmad: That was the thinking of many at the time.

Group #3 is disabled in some way today but could possibly be retooled to actively function in society but either doesn't chose to or doesn't have the emotional energy to. I do have a problem helping them. They aren't 100% parasites but neither are they 100% unable to function if they were properly focused on. It would take work to get them functional, but it could be done.

One big problem that those with disabilities have is how socially inept they quickly become over time. They have no vehicular mobility on their own, so they remain mostly isolated. As the years pass they have a harder and harder time interacting with "normal" functioning adults of a variety of backgrounds. We can get out and interact with employees, managers, contractors, and just people in general. They don't have the exposure, and can be somewhat embarrassed by their disability so they avoid interaction. As the years go by this problem compounds significantly to the point that they become unemployable.

All that aside, if someone isn't disabled and are receiving benefits of any kind I see no moral nor ethical problem requiring them to earn their benefits in some fashion. They could always do jobs that simply fall through the cracks as being way too far down the priority ladder to ever focus on.

On the other hand years ago I drove some Burmese refugees that had been brought to Fort Wayne to work on a horse rescue farm. They WERE required to work to earn some benefits they received from the government (not sure if local, state or federal). They were HAPPY to work and were very hard working. They enjoyed meeting Americans and looked forward to the time they could get a real job. They looked upon helping this nonprofit as an opportunity gain contacts and skills to succeed in the real job market. They were not slackers, lazy or incompetent. They simply lacked language and cultural skills, but they worked! If anything, they were proof that working for benefits isn't a problem at all for the able bodied.

Regards,

Doug

EDIT: Obviously there is a group #4 that are simply parasites that need to be Darwinized.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Does anyone else see a problem with this? If your a drug offender and can afford to purchase a drug but not food, you might need a change in priorities.

The felony conviction doesn't have to be recent to be a dis qualifier. It could have happened years ago and the person is now clean and sober.

We haven't had food stamps in Indiana for years. WE have SNAP debit cards now. ​This program is designed to raise the nutritional level of low income households. It enables low-income families to buy nutritious food through Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards.

A rose by any other name... While under a different name it's still the same, only difference is instead of a book of coupons it's now on a card.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    The felony conviction doesn't have to be recent to be a dis qualifier. It could have happened years ago and the person is now clean and sober.

A rose by any other name... While under a different name it's still the same, only difference is instead of a book of coupons it's now on a card.
    I can see the clean and sober.. I can also see a job if your clean and sober too. I know past convictions can detour that to a point. But I’ve seen many of them with jobs at fast food spots, busting tables, pushing carts at Kroger. I’m with the work for food program heavily unless your physically unable. Which also brings up a hard spot I know.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    As I feel pretty much the same way I could give a rats "A" who is upset by my opinion on this. No worky no eaty.
    I to am retired and still working. (That sounds odd) to support my hobbies and desires.
    There are unfortunate folks who for no fault of their own can not work to provide. Those we need to help.
    If you make the choice to travel the road to addiction.........on your own spanky.
    Church.. your hobbies include powder, primers and a bangie thing. I do admire your honesty, I like to see honest peeps.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not retired. I am a working carpenter, but because of wimpyness I am only able to work about 20+ hours a week. I can survive well since I am at the top of my trade and still in demand.

The problem is I fall short in the ammo and new guns category. Anyone who wants to throw a little Charity my way would be welcome.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am not retired. I am a working carpenter, but because of wimpyness I am only able to work about 20+ hours a week. I can survive well since I am at the top of my trade and still in demand.

The problem is I fall short in the ammo and new guns category. Anyone who wants to throw a little Charity my way would be welcome.

Well, what range do you consider little? 5'3 and below?

Top Bottom