• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, a close friend of mine was mugged in Indy last Friday. She hasn't really been up to talking about things heretofore. I'm going to, after a little bit of time, try to talk her into taking some self-defense courses (awareness/avoidance/improvise weapons kind of stuff), but I'd also like her to get some sort of weapon. Her father, brother, nephew, BIL are big proponents of firearms. I'm sure, if she were so inclined, she'd have gone that route before now. So, my original thoughts were knife, stun gun, or pepper spray. Knives, without training and familiarity with the weapon, will be as dangerous to her as to an attacker, IMO. I figured--feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (which I know you will ;))--that either a stun gun or pepper spray would be easier to learn to use. I don't mean to imply that NO training is necessary with these, but the training would be minimal. I'd just like to get some input, particularly if any ladies have gone through or known others who have gone through, similar instances. Thanks so much!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would go pepper spray. I've been hit with a variety of stun guns, including taser drive stuns, and I wouldn't call any of them incapacitating. Plus, the effect ends as soon as contact is broken. The general public ones just served to make me want to take it away and use it on the person who had it, they in no way "stopped" me.

Pepper spray is something I simply have no interest in having any more contact with than I have, and I've never been directly maced.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I would go pepper spray. I've been hit with a variety of stun guns, including taser drive stuns, and I wouldn't call any of them incapacitating. Plus, the effect ends as soon as contact is broken. The general public ones just served to make me want to take it away and use it on the person who had it, they in no way "stopped" me.

Pepper spray is something I simply have no interest in having any more contact with than I have, and I've never been directly maced.

Should I even ask WHY you've had so many of these things used on you????:scratch:

But, in all seriousness, thank you for your informed input.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for OC spray. As strong as you can get. Not the first blister pack (no pun) you find on an endcap in walmart. Might also be handy to get the marking type as well. Some kinds include marking dye to help ID them later.

UNLESS! Is she asthmatic? The downside to pepper spray is you WILL catch some of it yourself. Probably not enough to incapacitate, but definitely enough to make you wonder if you should have done it. It may be enough to trigger someone with asthma.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    There are different strengths? Is it listed somewhere on the pkg? Where would be a good place to get it? I assumed Wally World and gas stations would NOT be a good place. I've seen it on sale at my LGS and sporting goods stores. Would those be better places?

No, she isn't asthmatic.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Stun gun requires contact. You want to distance yourself from the attacker.

OC spray you have to be somewhat close, but not contact close. Some produce a pretty strong stream allowing for use at a decent distance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are different strengths? Is it listed somewhere on the pkg? Where would be a good place to get it? I assumed Wally World and gas stations would NOT be a good place. I've seen it on sale at my LGS and sporting goods stores. Would those be better places?

No, she isn't asthmatic.

A name that stands out for me is Sabre. Ive heard their 3 in 1 is brutal, as well as the red line.

You might check Galls.com They sell to police and private security as well. They have a long history of good products and arent a fly by night that will sell cheap crap just to make a buck.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My wife carries a Kimber Pepper Blaster. 4 ounces and I wouldn't want to get sprayed with it.

I've been tasered (no, I was not resisting LE, I signed a crap-load of waivers to be tasered and that actually sounds worse) and I must say it was incredibly unpleasant. IMO Mace gives you more margin for error and will incapacitate longer.

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    I've been hit with many different stun guns of various voltages. Most stun guns you buy at gun shows are Chinese junk and couldn't incapacitate a kitten, because the electrodes are too close together. They just make you jerk away. They just feel like a louder version of a "hot-shot" we use on the farm for cattle/hogs. You can feel them, they hurt, but I've yet to be incapacitated by one of these "novelties". A "tazer", on the other hand, will put you down. The electrodes are farther apart and the electricity flows in a broad path and more deeply disrupts your nervous system. I can't speak about pepper spray/mace.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    For spray: Is there a difference between Oleoresin Capsicum and capsaicinoid? Is there a certain percentage to stay above? It looks like it goes anywhere from .2%-10%.

For tasers: Is there a threshold of voltage to stay above?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Also, am I weird for never having been tased/stunned? Are you guys getting enjoyment out of this or just monetary/rep benefits like Fargo???

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also, am I weird for never having been tased/stunned? Are you guys getting enjoyment out of this or just monetary/rep benefits like Fargo???

I never been tased, just sprayed by accident by a moron (myself, while empting a can of papper spray that had expired).
    The wind got some of it back in my face ... it.

It took some time for me to feel it, an attacker would have had enough time to stab me half a dozen time before his face started burning.
    Something else to keep in mind with pepper spray ... it takes time to act.
    Not like a Taser that stops the victim right away in most casses (talking about the real deal cops carry, not stun guns who are usless).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    While I have never been hit with a "Taser" brand taser my boys and I play with various stunguns regularly. They require direct contact and even then only have any effect at all if you fear them. Many people do not fear them.

The spray on the other hand was only played with once. I am playing with the stun gun right now. The spray? Never again!

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    For spray: Is there a difference between Oleoresin Capsicum and capsaicinoid? Is there a certain percentage to stay above? It looks like it goes anywhere from .2%-10%.

For tasers: Is there a threshold of voltage to stay above?

I've been hit with most brands and blends of spray, and they all really burn. I tell people it's like being burned by 700 or 800 degree fire. It just really burns. It takes a little while to set in, and someone who is determined will not be incapacitated.

As far as an ecd goes, the volts largely don't matter, the amperage and probe spread is what causes the incapication. I recommend the taser c2. It's a one shot weapon that you put down after a good deployment, and they ride it for 30 seconds I believe while you get away. A successful 30 second ride from one would certainly change behavior.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's probably your best option, but that's expensive (over $600 I think!).

Taser C2.

c2_callouts.jpg

They will deliver an electrical current for 30 seconds (I think), even after you dropped it, giving you time to run away to safety (which you can't always do).
    If used in a self defense situation (with a police report) Taser will then replace your costly unit.

Of course it has downsides besides the price.
    It doesn't always work (one probe could hit the belt and not stay on, therefore opening the circuit and not delivering the voltage).
    You get only one shot, if you miss or are faced with more than one attacker you better have a plan B.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    That's probably your best option, but that's expensive (over $600 I think!).

Taser C2.

c2_callouts.jpg

They will deliver an electrical current for 30 seconds (I think), even after you dropped it, giving you time to run away to safety (which you can't always do).
    If used in a self defense situation (with a police report) Taser will then replace your costly unit.

Of course it has downsides besides the price.
    It doesn't always work (one probe could hit the belt and not stay on, therefore opening the circuit and not delivering the voltage).
    You get only one shot, if you miss or are faced with more than one attacker you better have a plan B.

This. My department uses the x2 which offers us a follow up shot if the first one doesn't work. We rrun a 50 percent success rate. The failures are mostly due to baggy clothing and the probes not being able to penetrate. I certainly wouldn't trust my life to a 50 percent success rate.

Top Bottom