• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The G20 10mm was offered before their .40S&W. Even before Glock had a .45. It was built from the ground up to handle the full powered 10mm loads and is responsible for keeping 10mm around because when .40 came out 10mm was in major decline. A few of us hobbyists kept the 10mm alive because it is a reloader’s round dream, and can be used for hunting most medium sized game in an autoloader. The resurgence it’s seen in the last decade is a result of that and after the 96 sunset meant that many of the other major manufacturers felt free to start making full size guns again.

The G20 chamber is perfectly fine across all generations for full power factory loads. The earlier ones were looser and many of us switched to aftermarket barrels to ramp up the power or to shoot lead as the octagonal rifling is more prone to leading, but that is not indicative of a design defect, it was never intended from the factory for either. I own every generation of G20 and G29 as well as most of the non-custom manufacturers offerings (still looking for the BrenTen for my collection). In spite of the dismissive label of “Glock fanboy” casually tossed around by some to try to avoid actually acknowledging valid points, my real fanboy passion is the 10mm.
    I just recently started looking at the 10mm and you hit exactly on what I liked about it. the bullet weight range it can handle and the pretty large speed variance that comes with that. I am not aware of another pistol caliber that is quite that diverse. I already had the dies as I had a .40 cal set, and I already had .40 projectiles laying around.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I just recently started looking at the 10mm and you hit exactly on what I liked about it. the bullet weight range it can handle and the pretty large speed variance that comes with that. I am not aware of another pistol caliber that is quite that diverse. I already had the dies as I had a .40 cal set, and I already had .40 projectiles laying around.
    Most revolver rounds can do this which is why the .357 and .44 magnum were so popular, but long rimmed cartridges require massive guns to run in an auto and aren’t as reliable. The 10mm was the first to offer that kind of capability.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I practice and carry Underwood 180 Gr in my Glock 20 SF. I use the stock barrel. No problems at all. I have also used the Underwood brand in 9 mm 124 Gr in my various 9mm handguns.
    It is outstanding ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The G20 10mm was offered before their .40S&W. Even before Glock had a .45. It was built from the ground up to handle the full powered 10mm loads and is responsible for keeping 10mm around because when .40 came out 10mm was in major decline. A few of us hobbyists kept the 10mm alive because it is a reloader’s round dream, and can be used for hunting most medium sized game in an autoloader. The resurgence it’s seen in the last decade is a result of that and after the 96 sunset meant that many of the other major manufacturers felt free to start making full size guns again.

The G20 chamber is perfectly fine across all generations for full power factory loads. The earlier ones were looser, though not as much as some will insist on in spite of evidence to the contrary, and many of us switched to aftermarket barrels to ramp up the power or to shoot lead as the octagonal rifling is more prone to leading. That is not indicative of a design defect, it was never intended from the factory for either. I own every generation of G20 and G29 as well as most of the non-custom manufacturers offerings (still looking for the BrenTen for my collection) and I have never hesitated to shoot any of my loadings including my nuclear ones in my Glocks. Something I won’t do in a few of my other 10s. In spite of the dismissive label of “Glock fanboy” casually tossed around by some to try to avoid actually acknowledging valid points, my real fanboy passion is the 10mm.
    And you just stated. You changed the barrels so you can shoot full power 10mm loads. Thank you for finally admitting it.

The glock 21 and 22 came out in 1990 the glock 20 came out in 1991 your kind of off there.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Pretty interesting what Hickok45 says about the original sights on his 20 year old Glock...

Polymer sights haven't fallen off, and his Kentucky relatives confirmed the year 2000 was 20 years ago with their calculators! :lmfao:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I practice and carry Underwood 180 Gr in my Glock 20 SF. I use the stock barrel. No problems at all. I have also used the Underwood brand in 9 mm 124 Gr in my various 9mm handguns.
    It is outstanding ammo.
    What's a 9mm fan doing carrying a 10mm? ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Never reloaded lead before, but I came across some IBC .40 cal bullets and was reading up on lead casting/hardness. After the first 1 min of this video, I know what gas checks are for, so thanks for posting. :)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Yes, we disagree my friend, but we are back to the same thing about numbers.

For every one person such as yourself who believe that Glock should build their guns to your specific needs, there are how many who are perfectly fine with how they come from the factory? How many who have done their research to find that loads beyond normal factory loads might require a modification to the stock firearm?

The difficulty you get into is when you start making blanket statements that just aren't true.

Attachments

• letthembewrong.jpg
      letthembewrong.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 9
    Top Bottom