• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Late, but IIRC when I first started really carrying I had one in the chamber, except for when messing around with a bellyband holster that did not have a full "holster" part made of stiff material (only half of a leather holster is sewn into the fabric of the band, so one side is only guarded by thin stretchy material. I carried without one in the chamber in that case because I carry a Walther PPS and there is only the trigger safety (and I was carrying appendix-style with it pointing at my manly parts).
    I think I carried a few times loaded with that holster before I just stopped using it (I had convinced myself it was reasonably safe against accidental trigger pulls).

With the two other holsters I've used I carried unloaded around the house for a bit to make sure everything was working fine and I didn't have any issues safely drawing it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Oh another thing I forgot to mention that helps people is this. Charge the pistol without a round in the chamber. So it can be "dry fired" basically still condition 3 as normally carried without a round in the chamber and a loaded mag. Then carry and see if the pistol would every accidentally go off. My guess is no, then this builds the confidence the gun can be carried safely loaded. As if there were a round in the chamber it would have been safe... I am sure you guys get what I am getting at here. It has been said before, just didn't see it here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh another thing I forgot to mention that helps people is this. Charge the pistol without a round in the chamber. So it can be "dry fired" basically still condition 3 as normally carried without a round in the chamber and a loaded mag. Then carry and see if the pistol would every accidentally go off. My guess is no, then this builds the confidence the gun can be carried safely loaded. As if there were a round in the chamber it would have been safe... I am sure you guys get what I am getting at here. It has been said before, just didn't see it here.
    You just don't get it, do you? That will never work because Glocks are too smart to fall for your clever ruse. They are smart enough to NOT fire on an empty chamber so to give you false confidence. Then, next week you you load, BAM! That's when you just go off on their own.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All this talk of "one in the chamber" is nonsense. A real man has AT LEAST two in the chamber.

Myself, I've loaded four bullet in the chamber with a special technique using Silly Putty.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I carry my S&W 1006 10mm auto with magazine inserted with the chamber empty for two reasons: oil eventually getting into the chambered round and battering of that cartridge from repeated chambering/emptying.
    The first reason is easy to understand, even if many of you disagree about the possibility of it happening.
    The second reason is because of the way that I take my gun with me.
    I always start on an empty chamber to verify everything is cycling okay, and having to eject and chamber a fresh round each time will ding up that top round, making a misfire or jam a possibility.
    Not that this particular gun is prone to that, as it's incredibly reliable.
    In fact, I've now fired 1000s of rounds through it, and as long as they're full powered 10mm (none of those pipsqueak loads that are all too common these days), it's 100% reliable.
    I ordinarily carry it with chamber empty, but there have been two occasions when I saw the possibility of a problem, and I chambered a round just to be sure.
    I can accomplish that task in less than 1/2 second.
    Nothing happened, fortunately.
    It's not lack of confidence in my abilities or judgment by having a chambered round in normal carry mode that makes me choose condition three (chamber empty, magazine inserted), but the exact opposite.
    I'm a very experienced shooter, totally certain that I could react properly and rapidly if the crap ever hit the fan.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    I carried on an empty chamber at first. Once I got comfortable I started carrying "cocked and locked." So I guess you could say it was feeling safe doing so for me. Hope that helps.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I carry my S&W 1006 10mm auto with magazine inserted with the chamber empty for two reasons: oil eventually getting into the chambered round and battering of that cartridge from repeated chambering/emptying.
    The first reason is easy to understand, even if many of you disagree about the possibility of it happening.
    I always start on an empty chamber to verify everything is cycling okay, and having to eject and chamber a fresh round each time will ding up that top round, making a misfire or jam a possibility.
    In fact, I've now fired 1000s of rounds through it, and as long as they're full powered 10mm (none of those pipsqueak loads that are all too common these days), it's 100% reliable.
    I ordinarily carry it with chamber empty, but there have been two occasions when I saw the possibility of a problem, and I chambered a round just to be sure.
    It's not lack of confidence in my abilities or judgment by having a chambered round in normal carry mode that makes me choose condition three (chamber empty, magazine inserted), but the exact opposite.
    I'm a very experienced shooter, totally certain that I could react properly and rapidly if the crap ever hit the fan.

Whatever works for you. In my opinion, I think you are being over-confident in your abilities in the many variables that can come into play in a self defense situation.

If you are THAT good, why did you feel the need to chamber a round those 2 times?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

+2.

Why are you chambering a unloading so much? And what mall employs your ninja services?

:mallninja:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    +2.

Why are you chambering a unloading so much? And what mall employs your ninja services?

:mallninja:

th
    <----------------------------------- You mean this guy??

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Whatever works for you. In my opinion, I think you are being over-confident in your abilities in the many variables that can come into play in a self defense situation.

If you are THAT good, why did you feel the need to chamber a round those 2 times?

Sometimes the problem is that people just don't know what they don't know.

That's what blue guns, airsoft, simunitions and other FOF training aids are for isn't it?

Training "gun" up and try out that theory, eh?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Steve, I chambered on one of the occasions because many years ago, our neighbor just across the street from us knocked on our door one night, crying and told us that her husband had just beaten her.
    She asked to borrow our phone to call the police.
    I quickly grabbed my 1006 and chambered a round, giving her a hard look and saying "Just in case he decides to come over here."
    The other time was when I went to a rest stop and some guy just gave me a strange look that made me suspicious, which compelled me to quickly rack the slide, then reholster the moment I went around the corner of the building he was next to.
    Nothing happened each time, but it's worth mentioning that I always exercise situational awareness, especially when carrying.
    I think it's important to use that mindset, not paranoia mind you, but I think that's far more important that relying on a round being chambered, although I'm not against others carrying in condition one as such, just that it's not my favored method of carry.

Top Bottom