• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAMO66

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Effingham, IL.
    You guys better hurry. They're already lining up for them.
    amish_red_triangle_buggies_09_16_2011.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Why is this revolver news?

There is nothing about this gun (or S&W's entire shot show lineup for that matter) that couldn't have been produced ten if not twenty years ago.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

There is nothing about this gun (or S&W's entire shot show lineup for that matter) that couldn't have been produced ten if not twenty years ago.

It's a gamer thing. Jerry and others pushed for minor 8-round revos (eg 9mm) to be allowed in USPSA vs only major 6-round that had traditionally been allowed (eg 45). USPSA changes the rule, and S&W is the first to market w/ a gun tailored to fit the new rules. As Jake would say: it affects maybe 50 people (who are very excited about it).

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's a gamer thing. Jerry and others pushed for minor 8-round revos (eg 9mm) to be allowed in USPSA vs only major 6-round that had traditionally been allowed (eg 45). USPSA changes the rule, and S&W is the first to market w/ a gun tailored to fit the new rules. As Jake would say: it affects maybe 50 people (who are very excited about it).

-rvb

Actually 25 are really excited about, the other 25 are pissed and think that this will drive people out of revolver because it is going to make six round major guns obsolete...... Uh duh didn't that happen in the 80`s.
    I keed I keed......
    It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out with major vs minor scoring, six vs sight rounds. In single stack the two extra rounds do not make a difference and major scoring is the way to go, but there is a big difference between six vs eight when it comes to stages and how to shoot them. Funny the revolver division is now the hot bed of the equipment race in USPSA

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out with major vs minor scoring, six vs sight rounds. In single stack the two extra rounds do not make a difference and major scoring is the way to go, but there is a big difference between six vs eight when it comes to stages and how to shoot them. Funny the revolver division is now the hot bed of the equipment race in USPSA

Yea, 6 vs 8 and 8 vs 10 are two totally different animals. To be able to shoot an 8-rnd array is huge. and only doing 4 reloads vs 6 in a 32 rnd course is huge, too.

revolver equipment race. 3 words I never thought Id see together....

-rvb

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I am seriously considering selling my SS minor gun and rounding up one or these. I see Smith52 and Bosshoss shooting revolver and it looks fun, of course that's probably because they are good at it. I on the other hand am not really sure even how to hold a revolver. I'm pretty sure standard thumbs forward grip is not the way to go. I also like the idea of getting all my brass back with out crawling around on the ground after the match.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    i take it it's an N frame?......i would think the size of the cylinder?

Yes, N-frame. I have an 8-shot N-frame 357/38 627 PC w/ 5" barrel. Works great for steel plate matches. There is also a new L-frame 7-shot in 9mm: 986. It is cut for moonclips. Good choice it you want something smaller than the N-frame. Stainless w/ Ti allow cylinder. See photo below.

View attachment 25327

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anxious to see one of these. Looks cool, and the USPSA rule change sounds great!

Anybody know how thick the moonclips are? One big perk of the 625 revolvers was that the moon clips are very rigid, so the rounds don't flex when trying to reload. The old 8 shot moon clips were thinner, making them flex a little more.

Last edited:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Anxious to see one of these. Looks cool, and the USPSA rule change sounds great!

Anybody know how thick the moonclips are? One big perk of the 625 revolvers was that the moon clips are very rigid, so the rounds don't flex when trying to reload. The old 8 shot moon clips were thinner, making them flex a little more.

Chizzle,

The 929 moon clips are 35 mils thick and are made by TK custom for S&W.

Linky: Revolver Moon Clips, 45 ACP Full Moon Clips and Speed Loaders - TK Custom :spend:

HTH. :wavey:

Oh, forgot to add:

do-want-squirell.jpg

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

This revolver is news because of what it isn't. It isn't a plastic bottom feeder or another version of a AR .
    Yes the 8 shot N frame has been around for about 20 years but it is nice to see a few new versions.
    While this is a competition driven gun hopefully S&W will add some carry revolvers in 9MM in the near future.
    While S&W has had a few 9MM revolvers before, this one is supposed to have a true 9MM barrel where as all of the previous ones used a .357 barrel.

Top Bottom