• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Anxious to see one of these. Looks cool, and the USPSA rule change sounds great!

Anybody know how thick the moonclips are? One big perk of the 625 revolvers was that the moon clips are very rigid, so the rounds don't flex when trying to reload. The old 8 shot moon clips were thinner, making them flex a little more.

A little Moonclip info in case you are one of the 50 people that care:rolleyes:

Most .45 moonclips are .040 thick and stamped clips can be bought for around 45 cents a piece and work great. You can purchase EDM clips that cost $7.50 each and they do work better than the stamped ones but not enough difference to spend the money for them. Most of the top shooters use the cheap clips but several of the top shooters including Jerry uses the EDM clips.

The 8 shot guns are MUCH different.
    The .357 8 shots use clips that are usually .025 thick(some are different as some brass has thinner or thicker groves and takes a different clip for its groove). These clips don't usually flex but what happens is the long .38 or .357 case really magnifies the slop in the brass to clip. Making them MUCH harder to reload into the cylinder than a 6 shot .45.
    The serious 8 shot revolver shooters solve this by shooting .38 Short Colt or .38 Long Colt brass. Tom at TK makes clips for this brass(starline) that takes almost all the slop out of the brass to clip fit.
    I have heard that George at Revolver Supply Company has some excellent clips for the 8 shot .357's. I haven't tried them but I do use his .45 clips most of the time they are excellent.
    The .38 short colt is about the same as 9MM in length with the .38 long colt being a little longer.
    Most are running a 160 grain bullet and there is not much room for powder in a .38 short colt with that bullet so powder selection is important.
    Reloading a 627 with.38 Short Colt brass in a TK clip with a good chamfer on the cylinder is ALMOST as good as a 6 shot .45.

The new 9MM clips are .035 and if someone ordered some from Tom at TK you should ask what brass works best in his clips and then use that brass. Don't worry you get it all back;)

I have a 627 in .38 Super and that is a whole different game.

The 8 shot clips are expensive but you get many uses out of them until someone steps on them:crying:
    The EDM clips are very expensive but are made of softer Stainless steel and can with some patience be straightened.
    The stamped clips are made of spring steel and are almost impossible to straighten.

Who knew that the simple Amish revolver could be so complicated :dunno:

Revolver is still the most fun I have had on the range.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So with all these new configurations of revolvers, is there any point in someone like me showing up with a 6-shot Model 13 or similar? Or should I just pack my stuff away as obsolete old school and stay with pistols?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What I am curious to see is Revolver Nationals and if major or minor scoring will dictate the winner

It will really be determined on the stages. I wonder if they are going to do any type of resetting of the stages from Single Stack to Revolver, they did not last year

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    What I am curious to see is Revolver Nationals and if major or minor scoring will dictate the winner

It will really be determined on the stages. I wonder if they are going to do any type of resetting of the stages from Single Stack to Revolver, they did not last year

Whatever Jerry's using will probably will be the answer ;)

Agree, it will be interesting though.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    So with all these new configurations of revolvers, is there any point in someone like me showing up with a 6-shot Model 13 or similar? Or should I just pack my stuff away as obsolete old school and stay with pistols?

A 6 shot speedloader gun was never going to be competitive against a moon clip 6 shot gun but now with 8 shot moon clip guns it is buried.
    I can reload a speedloader gun almost as fast as a moon clip gun but I don't do it much anymore and I'm no where near as consistent as with a moon clip gun. Some of the top speedloader guys are truly fast and amazing to watch.

If a speedloader gun is all you have bring it out and have fun with it. It can be frustrating but as you get used to it you will have a lot of fun with a revolver.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A 6 shot speedloader gun was never going to be competitive against a moon clip 6 shot gun but now with 8 shot moon clip guns it is buried.
    I can reload a speedloader gun almost as fast as a moon clip gun but I don't do it much anymore and I'm no where near as consistent as with a moon clip gun. Some of the top speedloader guys are truly fast and amazing to watch.

If a speedloader gun is all you have bring it out and have fun with it. It can be frustrating but as you get used to it you will have a lot of fun with a revolver.

I may try it this Summer.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

A few months ago I predicted that 8 shot guns would fill the top 20 spots. After talking with some of the top revolver shooter a few of them CLAIM they are going to stick with their 6 shot guns and see how it affect their placing at the Nationals.
    I figure that most of the competitors will have both guns in their bag and will decide after seeing the stages. I know I will.
    I hope they don't try to make a revolver friendly match as I hate that and they claim they won't do that but we will see.

Unless Jerry has a major brain fart or mechanical failure I think he will win by the biggest margin of the last several years. He is so much faster with his ICORE setup than his USPSA setup that it is easy to see. Jerry does tend to get a lead and then cruise at a slower pace until someone gets close and he puts the pedal down and pulls away. Last year Jerry got beat by Rob on the standards pretty good and he went to the next stage which was the all popper stage and destroyed everybody and made up what he lost on the standards.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

It will be interesting to see. If memory serves, TGO shot a much cleaner match than Jerry last time. If 8 rounders get sloppy it gives some opening to the major shooters.

Top Bottom