• edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ANY FORD PEOPLE OUT THERE?

My wife has a 2004 Ford Freestar she's had since before we were married.

For the last few months, it frequently won't crank when she attempts to start it.
    Sometimes, it will suddenly start when tried after a little time.

I've witnessed this.
    Everything is working, including the PATS system, with no indicated errors with the dash idiot lights.
    It has OEM keys.

It's been to the Ford dealer at least 3 times, and they can't get it to do it.
    They've checked the PATS system and some wires and said they're OK.
    So they say they won't do anything until they can.

It's now being towed in yet ANOTHER time today.

I read references to this when I google, but never see any solutions.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is the ignition making the starter motor circuit. Had this issue in a GMC but it was doing the exact same thing. Occasionally it would just not make the starter circuit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Next time it won't crank, try smacking the starter solenoid with a hammer (tire iron in a pinch). If it starts, you've found the issue. Sometimes when they start to get weak, they work intermittently.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Next time it won't crank, try smacking the starter solenoid with a hammer (tire iron in a pinch). If it starts, you've found the issue. Sometimes when they start to get weak, they work intermittently.

Get a voltmeter and set it to DC and check for power at the solenoid......crazy lawyers always wanting to beat on something....:laugh:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Get a voltmeter and set it to DC and check for power at the solenoid......crazy lawyers always wanting to beat on something....:laugh:
    Lawyers and engineers. We have an old '89 Ford pick-up. On occasion the starter gets stuck in the "on" position well after it's done its job. Mr88GT has to pop the hood and bang the starter to get it to turn off.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Starter's likely shot. The last 15 years or so the Solenoids are attached to the starter, when one's shot, replace the whole thing. If the Starter is hanging, it likely breaks loose during the tow.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Starter's likely shot. The last 15 years or so the Solenoids are attached to the starter, when one's shot, replace the whole thing. If the Starter is hanging, it likely breaks loose during the tow.

I'm leaning towards believing this is the case.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Could be the starter or the other likely and common concern on those vans are that the PCM gets water ingested into it because of cowl drainage into the housing that contains the PCM via the bulkhead(firewall) ... Happens ALOt!!!!! Very common concern that usually requires new PCM and some weather proofing... PCM is on pass side of vehicle under cowl/wiper housing... First need to rule out starter failure first though.. Check for power with a 12v test lamp at the small post on starter while trying to crank ... If no power then you gotta work back from there...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Another fact about this just came to light!

My wife told me that the starter isn't the original OEM one that came with the Freestar.
    I didn't know this.

Some time back it was replaced with a "red china rebuild" at a local independent shop famous for installing these cheap starters with the "lifetime guarantee", then making a killing on labor as they get replaced over and over.

My next step will be to try the smacking it with a hammer trick to see if it starts.

I'm REALLY suspecting this starter!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Another fact about this just came to light!

My wife told me that the starter isn't the original OEM one that came with the Freestar.
    I didn't know this.

Some time back it was replaced with a "red china rebuild" at a local independent shop famous for installing these cheap starters with the "lifetime guarantee", then making a killing on labor as they get replaced over and over.

My next step will be to try the smacking it with a hammer trick to see if it starts.

I'm REALLY suspecting this starter!

Bet you lunch hitting it will not fix it.
    Does it start when it is cold like 1st off in the morning. Does this occur after a lot of driving where it (the starter) gets cycled. Once motor and starter are hot is this when it fails?????

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bet you lunch hitting it will not fix it.
    Does it start when it is cold like 1st off in the morning. Does this occur after a lot of driving where it (the starter) gets cycled. Once motor and starter are hot is this when it fails?????

Actually, it does usually start in the garage in the morning, then in the afternoon after work sitting in the parking lot is when she typically has trouble.
    All the lights on the dash look OK, but the engine just doesn't crank.

Then it's towed into the Ford dealer, and when they get it there, it's starts and they have yet to be able to duplicate it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hitting will not fix it? No freakin' duh. Diagnose it, yes. A few taps won't hurt anything and could be helpful...especially if you are stranded someplace when it won't start. Before you fancy boys get your multimeters out, if it's the solenoid, I will have already diagnosed it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hitting will not fix it? No freakin' duh. Diagnose it, yes. A few taps won't hurt anything and could be helpful...especially if you are stranded someplace when it won't start. Before you fancy boys get your multimeters out, if it's the solenoid, I will have already diagnosed it.

:bowdown:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have a 2000 Chevy that I carry the hammer in it....it does this about once a month, more frequent in winter. I think the armature has a dead spot on starter. So if it happens to start and stop in the right spot, it happens. I smack it with the hammer while having someone turning the key and it starts fine.

Mine don't even click when it happens. Need to change mine sometime....but heck 300,000 + miles on this truck, I would like to get another 50,000 before repair.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My first thought was you were referring to a model I wasn't familiar with, the "Ford Frequently". This didn't surprise me, as their SUVs mostly seem to have "Ex" names I can't keep straight, including the one I own, which I wind up referring to as Excruciation or Explosion or somesuch, then wind up calling it "Earth****er", just because it's one of those giant ecologically offensive ones. I have a 94 Thunderchicken that will start OK warm and dry, but if it gets cold or damp will start one cylinder at a time. Takes a while to crank through the process to where it will self-sustain, sometimes. Thinkin it's time for some fresh plug cables and whatnot, though I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a new ignition system. Had an 84 Mustang where the ignition chip died because it didn't have enough bird poop (technical term for silicone heatsink compound) on it and it was hella hard to start. I probably ruined the clutch limping to a garage, but a Toyota fell in love with my engine and tried to crawl under the hood with it, so I never got to find out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can personally vouch for the fact that often, a starter that's on it's way out can be made to work for a start if it's hit on with a hammer.
    Sometimes it takes a second person working the ignition key.

Most every starter I've had, when it began to intermittently not work, I could get it going by hitting it.

This was enough to get me home so i could address getting it fixed.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, we started by replacing the Red China rebuild starter and solenoid with an OEM.
    Figured that even if this isn't the problem, it'll die sooner than later anyway if other people's experiences with starters from the shop who installed it is any indication.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yesterday, we started by replacing the Red China rebuild starter and solenoid with an OEM.
    Figured that even if this isn't the problem, it'll die sooner than later anyway if other people's experiences with starters from the shop who installed it is any indication.

Been waiting for the post where you hit it with a hammer to get it home......:):

I have been involved with cars/trucks my whole life. Have always rebuilt my own engines. Built racing engines for myself and others all the way up to professional racing.
    Yes, the hammer will work on occasion. My process is to diagnose the issue when it is happening. Hitting the starter might get you going but it is going to fail again so why not find the actual reason for the problem. If there is no power on the solenoid from the switch that isolates the search to that area. Just my process.
    Hope you have it fixed.

Top Bottom