• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Been waiting for the post where you hit it with a hammer to get it home......:):

I have been involved with cars/trucks my whole life. Have always rebuilt my own engines. Built racing engines for myself and others all the way up to professional racing.
    Yes, the hammer will work on occasion. My process is to diagnose the issue when it is happening. Hitting the starter might get you going but it is going to fail again so why not find the actual reason for the problem. If there is no power on the solenoid from the switch that isolates the search to that area. Just my process.
    Hope you have it fixed.

I had a g/f back in highschool, she carried a 2x4 in the back seat and she'd beat on the starter while someone cranked it. I always told her it would go out sooner or later, but she didn't want to spend $50 on a new starter and let me install it. :dunno:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Been waiting for the post where you hit it with a hammer to get it home......:):

I have been involved with cars/trucks my whole life. Have always rebuilt my own engines. Built racing engines for myself and others all the way up to professional racing.
    Yes, the hammer will work on occasion. My process is to diagnose the issue when it is happening. Hitting the starter might get you going but it is going to fail again so why not find the actual reason for the problem. If there is no power on the solenoid from the switch that isolates the search to that area. Just my process.
    Hope you have it fixed.

I've never advocated using the hammer trick for anything but getting me home so I can get it fixed.
    And I also agree with trying to find the problem when it happens,... IF I'm in a place I can test things.

But over the years when my starter has suddenly quit, I'm typically in BFE with no test equipment and just a tire iron to hit it with. :-)

In THIS CASE, I was hoping to be around when it did it, then try the hammer trick, and IF it started, I'd be more confident to replace the starter and solenoid.

Instead, the Red China rebuild starter and solenoid were replaced as a good guess based on the tests the dealer did, and the track record of such rebuilds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never advocated using the hammer trick for anything but getting me home so I can get it fixed.
    And I also agree with trying to find the problem when it happens,... IF I'm in a place I can test things.

But over the years when my starter has suddenly quit, I'm typically in BFE with no test equipment and just a tire iron to hit it with. :-)

In THIS CASE, I was hoping to be around when it did it, then try the hammer trick, and IF it started, I'd be more confident to replace the starter and solenoid.

Instead, the Red China rebuild starter and solenoid were replaced as a good guess based on the tests the dealer did, and the track record of such rebuilds.

Yeah, up to speed on the BFE thing.

Top Bottom