Foreign National Arrested At Virginia Tech With Illegal 'Assault Firearm....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Chinese student, had the chance to own an AR, practiced with it regularly, and wanted to buy bulk ammo....................

Sounds like many on INGO, he just should have known and followed the rules where he lived in VA.

I saw the story, I think he was a kid, enjoying our freedoms, and someone dropped a dime on him, because of where he went to school.

It is reported he had no known attentions of harming anybody or anything.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's said that ignorance of the law is no excuse but there's no excuse for laws that resemble speed-traps either. It was legal for him to BUY the magazine but not to USE it in his rifle?This law is so obscure that the dealer didn't know about it, so why would the student from china who had so much criminal intent that he kept it stored in a "student weapons locker" at the VTPD dept-of-public-safety?

Sneaky laws designed to trap people are only one step above "secret squirrel evidence" designed to deny you legal defense. Saying "that right shouldn't apply to him anyway" is a cop-out. This @#&* can, and does, happen to us too.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not only that.....30 round mags are the most common AR mags. They basically made it legal for him to buy the rifle, but not to buy the most commonly available magazine for that rifle. And I can GUARANTEE the guy selling him the magazine didn't know it was illegal for this student and did not warn him.

Stupid law.....Hopefully this ends in jury nullification. This is a PRIME example of when it should be used.

IMHO, I still am of the opinion non-citizens should not be able to posses firearms unless strictly for hunting. But I don't agree with how this kid was arrested.

It's said that ignorance of the law is no excuse but there's no excuse for laws that resemble speed-traps either. It was legal for him to BUY the magazine but not to USE it in his rifle?This law is so obscure that the dealer didn't know about it, so why would the student from china who had so much criminal intent that he kept it stored in a "student weapons locker" at the VTPD dept-of-public-safety?

Sneaky laws designed to trap people are only one step above "secret squirrel evidence" designed to deny you legal defense. Saying "that right shouldn't apply to him anyway" is a cop-out. This @#&* can, and does, happen to us too.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Alleged "mass shooter" at Virginia Tech...wasn't.

Thought this was an interesting example of poor journalism relating to firearms, among other things.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/...ttempted-to-buy-500-rounds-of-ammo-police-say

A Virginia Tech student was "busted" on weapons charges and immediately accused of plotting a mass shooting by "attempting" to order 5,000 rounds of ammunition. His purchase and "modification" of an ex-police car was submitted as evidence of...I don't even know. It was claimed that he "researched bulletproof vests", because apparently googling AR500 armor indicates intent. Virginia Tech Police fed the rumor mill with vague warnings about "staying away" from large gatherings.

Well, more information is out now:

Judge denies former Virginia Tech student bond in rifle case, citing immigration detainer | Virginia | richmond.com

Virginia Jails Chinese Student for Inserting a 30-Round Mag into an AR - The Truth About Guns

The student owned one AR15, which he was legally allowed to possess. He stored it in police gun lockers made available to Virginia Tech students, and regularly went to the range to shoot. The ENTIRE CASE happened because a random detective was at the range and thought he saw Zhao using a 30-round magazine, which makes it an "assault weapon" that is not legal for a person of his status to possess. The search of his dorm room turned up no 30 round magazines. There may be video of that range session proving that 20 round magazines were used, which makes it legal.

He is denied bail, facing felony charges, and had his education derailed all because a single detective claims to have seen him attach a legal magazine to a legal rifle at the range. A magazine which was not found during the search.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The dupe is the original story. I’m not sure I’d ever go back into that first thread; a new thread with an action update stating that this case is basically BS is a good update.

why if the officer knows “anything over 20” is no go for this student, did he not just go ask and see the alleged, non existent 30 round magazine

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man.....I’m really glad it was only 20 round mags he was using. It would have been super extra dangerous if he’d have actually used a 30 round mag. Good thing this Law is in place to keep us safe.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We have been working on this for months. It is a good thing that young man is being detained. Everything isn’t put in news articles, but keep typing the good fight.

Top Bottom