• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Palliative is for serious but doesn't have to be life-threatening for now and you can receive curative care.

Hospice is more for end of life and usually no curative care will be given.
    I mistakenly wrote 39 off a few years ago when he announced his melanoma diagnosis. The "H" word was never even mentioned, which was pretty phenomenal for someone of such an advanced age.

The palliative patient can continue receiving hydration, nutrition and treatment medication. Once it's decided that treatments are futile and the patient is terminal, out comes any feeding tube and away goes hydration and nutrition.

To keep one comfortable using morphine and other drugs like Ativan is to slow down stuff like the diaphragm and bring the patient to respiratory arrest and death. It's not euthanasia but it's pretty darn close. We'll get there someday, hopefully.

When my Dad was in hospice at the end of his 3-year battle with pancreatic cancer, he woke up one morning with a GI bleed. The hospice nurse told him he could go to the hospital and seek treatment but would be leaving hospice care to do it. "Let's get this over with." was his reply. He then took his first (and last) Percocet for his pain and was gone within a few hours.

I'll be surprised if 39 sees the end of this week.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    “remaining years”? I’ve had to deal with hospice a few times, I was under the understanding they are called in when you have less than a month or so.
    I personally know some been on hospice since before last Thanksgiving and they still kicking and actually saw them couple weeks ago and doing better than thanksgiving. On the other hand my dad on hospice lasted about 2 weeks

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Carter was president all through high school. Couldn’t stand him and still don’t. Lousy president that continued thinking he was smarter and better than anyone. His liberal views never changed and after office views in Israel and Palestine were horrible. He used the Bible but was ignorant of wisdom. He truly felt being tender hearted to your enemies would gain him greatness. Instead he was stabbed in the back by those foreign enemies. Have read by those around him he just couldn’t believe it. He continued to believe some pretty stupid stuff his life. But he used his name to do many good works for people, however goods works don’t get you in the pearly gates. I won’t judge on that matter. Hope he makes it there. A friend once said if he had just stayed out of politics he might have been a ok guy. I just know he stayed a democrat, and that ideology doesn’t jive well when you’re pro choice and try to convince others you’re a “Christian”.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I too, agree, he was a horrible President, but has spent his last years doing good, and helping the world. My view of him went up a few years ago when it was announced that at 95, he fell going Turkey hunting, kind of bad a$$ to be hunting at that age. To me, the cluster foxtrot, that was Desert One will be his legacy, and a main reason I joined the military, well, the Air Force....( no haters, I loved my time in)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I too, agree, he was a horrible President, but has spent his last years doing good, and helping the world. My view of him went up a few years ago when it was announced that at 95, he fell going Turkey hunting, kind of bad a$$ to be hunting at that age. To me, the cluster foxtrot, that was Desert One will be his legacy, and a main reason I joined the military, well, the Air Force....( no haters, I loved my time in)
    He was in his 90s and still doing actual work on the ground building homes for habitat for humanity as well. I'm not talking about just showing up for photo ops and handing out water to the workers, he was actually swinging a hammer and cutting boards. I'll agree he was not a good President, but IMO he was generally a good man.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    He broke the cardinal rule about speaking out on active presidents. He made his bed in my opinion. He couldn’t be satisfied with Habitat. He had to give his opinion on Trump.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He broke the cardinal rule about speaking out on active presidents. He made his bed in my opinion. He couldn’t be satisfied with Habitat. He had to give his opinion on Trump.
    If that's his big sin, well... Does this mean you're writing of Trump because he's spoken out against Biden?

Like everyone else here, I believe Carter wasn't a good president, but he certainly was a good person who lived out his words in deeds humbly.

I'm pleasantly surprised seeing all the positive posts in this thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On the balance sheet, maybe his humanitarian nature and honesty lifts him up from the depths of his presidency. I don't know if it's a net positive. He was a pretty terrible president. I'd take him over the current one though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If that's his big sin, well... Does this mean you're writing of Trump because he's spoken out against Biden?

Like everyone else here, I believe Carter wasn't a good president, but he certainly was a good person who lived out his words in deeds humbly.

I think you are confusing us with Liberals. We typically don't do that. (as much)

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Don't really remember a lot about his presidency since I was only 12-13 in '76, but know he was majorly out of his depth in the big chair. Looking back, I wouldn't agree with any of his policies, but as a person I wish him Godspeed into his next journey.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

The unwritten rule is no longer valid. It’s purpose and lineage has been broken. It no longer applies to any future former presidents. He felt the need to disparage the office to further his political agenda. It is now open warfare on any future office holder. He doesn’t get a pass on what he alone chose to break.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Long version:

Watergate made us think crooks were the worst fate America could suffer.

It only took one austere, god-fearing, insufferable wet blanket of a southern fundamentalist President to show us otherwise.

If you go watch Carter's "malaise crisis of confidence (ed.)" State of the Union speech on Youtube, you will see about as uninspiring and humorless Sunday-sermon lecture of an address to the American people as you will ever see.

Often, you hear people say, they wish we could have a man with convictions based on faith as President.

Well, we got it good and hard in Jimmy Carter. It turns out many didn't like it much. You'd be surprised what can be justified in the name of faith.

So be careful what you wish for.

Short version:

Democrat Mike Pence with a hammer.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    40+ years from his presidency, I'm content to simply wish him comfort and his family peace. By all accounts, a man of integrity, an honorable officer in the Navy, and a man who thought of others.

My Dad had hospice care at home that lasted for 5 days 6 years ago. I understand that it can go for months, but, as mentioned above, it is always palliative care rather than treatment. My Dad had 24 hour nursing care with medications to relieve pain as much as possible and a hospital bed in the home. My Mom, my sisters and I did as much as we could even though there were nurses. In-home hospice was a godsend for us. I still have a sad chuckle when I think how my Mom was worried about getting him addicted to morphine.

Top Bottom