• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the NRA is very hesitant to criticize the Police, period.

Well, who is? Sure, Ghost in the Machine wasn't their best, and the crack began to show, but then to follow it up with Synchronicity... just brilliant.

Oh, wait, did you mean "the police?"

This is a pretty safe case for the NRA to come out on the side of the victim and show that the NRA is inclusive of all demographics - including black women in DFW. But, I imagine WLP will be too concerned about how it could affect his steady income streams.

They certainly aren't going to do it just days or weeks after it occurs. How often have facts changed as the investigation gets finalized?
    :popcorn:

Waiting to see what they, especially after the media cycle has moved on.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah, no. He was trained, and he should have known better. His actions were reckless, and someone is dead because of it. "Reckless" means taking action without thinking or caring. This isn't to say the officer didn't care, but he certainly didn't think. I can be completely confident that damn near everyone on INGO would have responded (tactical considerations aside) in a similar manner as the victim, if they heard someone bumbling around outside of their house.
    How does putting someone in jail for something like this help anything?

It would be much better if he spent his life paying restitution to the family of the victim.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How does putting someone in jail for something like this help anything?

It would be much better if he spent his life paying restitution to the family of the victim.

How much is a daughter, sister's life worth? Should drunk driver's go to jail for killing someone? Would you consider their actions reckless because they should know better?
    It's not about rehabilitation, it's about punishment.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Jury is in. Guilty of manslaughter. News article and raw body cam footage attached.

This women did nothing wrong and was shot and killed by a cop yet I understand the cops perspective and believe the officers thought the house was being burglarized. It's a tragic situation.

Officer Dean admitted on the stand he didn't see the victims hands, didn't check what was behind her and that his actions were 'bad police work'. In my mind that's a strong indication of manslaughter.

I question a policy that puts officers in the situation of prowling around near a home (on the patio) at night with flashlights prior to identifying themselves or even parking a marked car in front of the residence (I read in a different article they parked around the corner). That seems like an extremely dangerous situation and one prone to occurrences just like this.
    Is this policy common in Indiana?

“As I started to get that second phrase out, ‘Show me your hands,’ I saw a silhouette,” the former officer said. “I was looking right down the barrel of a gun, and when I saw the barrel of that gun pointed at me, I fired a single shot from my duty weapon.”

Dean said he had his weapon out because he believed the home was in the midst of being robbed. He fired at her through the window “because we’re taught to meet deadly force with deadly force. We’re not taught that we have to wait,” he said.

In cross-examination, however, Dean admitted many of his actions that night were “bad police work,” including firing without seeing her hands or what was behind her, failing to tell his partner he saw a gun and rushing into the home without fully ensuring it was safe.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I question a policy that puts officers in the situation of prowling around near a home (on the patio) at night with flashlights prior to identifying themselves or even parking a marked car in front of the residence (I read in a different article they parked around the corner). That seems like an extremely dangerous situation and one prone to occurrences just like this.
    Is this policy common in Indiana?
    VERY common. In fact, we normally NEVER park in front of the addresses. It's an officer safety issue as these cars are giant "shoot me" billboards. We sneak up on crimes in progress because we are expected to catch them. Otherwise, we just run lights/sirens all the way up to the address, giving the suspects plenty of time to hear/see us come and leave the area.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    VERY common. In fact, we normally NEVER park in front of the addresses. It's an officer safety issue as these cars are giant "shoot me" billboards. We sneak up on crimes in progress because we are expected to catch them.

Exactly. As someone that works midnights, we do this pretty much on every call.

Last edited:

Rnrwithcigars

Cigars, Guns with the Peace and Quiet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2022
    Mesa
    Ok, I hear the officer who shot the woman resigned rather than being fired. My question, Who sends a swat team to do a wellness check? Does that seem weird to anyone else? I know we do not know the 'rest of the story,' but that just does not seem right.
    Very much so overkill. Was this something that occurred in a bad neighborhood or something?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's unfortunate that this happens. Since we are all human we will make mistakes. Like someone said out of millions of police enter reactions these incidents are low.
    Police can alway use more training. However. Defending them will not get that extra training. More training means more taxes.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    We sneak up on crimes in progress because we are expected to catch them. Otherwise, we just run lights/sirens all the way up to the address, giving the suspects plenty of time to hear/see us come and leave the area.
    I try to be a good student of self defense and part of that is thinking through scenarios but reading this was an INTOT moment for me (I Never Thought of That). It makes sense but I assumed that if my wife and I were locked in the bedroom and called to report a home invader I'd hear sirens growing for two minutes before cars came squealing into the driveway like the old west cavalry. I never considered police might quietly stalk around the back of the house.

About 11:30 PM one night my wife told me there was a male figure in the woods (my property) behind the house with a long gun. He was about 30 yards from the house and moving quietly. We could barely see him. Things got tense before we learned he was a trespassing coon hunter. If it had been well meaning officers near the house events could have gone badly.

I understand that you want to catch the bad guy so he simply doesn't move to another victim. Regardless this seems like a very dangerous practice and I don't envy you this part of the job.

Thanks for posting.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    VERY common. In fact, we normally NEVER park in front of the addresses. It's an officer safety issue as these cars are giant "shoot me" billboards. We sneak up on crimes in progress because we are expected to catch them. Otherwise, we just run lights/sirens all the way up to the address, giving the suspects plenty of time to hear/see us come and leave the area.
    That seems prudent, and I find that interesting because thats not what I have seen in Anderson, Alexandria, Elwood with city and the county cruisers. They park out front for the first or second car responding car then across the street if needed.
    Next time I see the Chief at breakfast I will ask him.
    Maybe you have meaner streets?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That seems prudent, and I find that interesting because thats not what I have seen in Anderson, Alexandria, Elwood with city and the county cruisers. They park out front for the first or second car responding car then across the street if needed.
    Next time I see the Chief at breakfast I will ask him.
    Maybe you have meaner streets?
    Yeah, Indy is a bit different than those towns/Cities. We respond to major crimes in progress daily. Recently, one of my officers stopped a guy in an alley that was acting suspicious. He had literally just shot/killed someone a minute before he was stopped. I was taught this over 20 years ago and we still teach it today. In fact, NOT doing this while in field training can get you fired if not corrected. Officer safety is something we don't skimp on. Small towns/cities can get away with it because they just don't have the same threat levels.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah, Indy is a bit different than those towns/Cities. We respond to major crimes in progress daily. Recently, one of my officers stopped a guy in an alley that was acting suspicious. He had literally just shot/killed someone a minute before he was stopped. I was taught this over 20 years ago and we still teach it today. In fact, NOT doing this while in field training can get you fired if not corrected. Officer safety is something we don't skimp on. Small towns/cities can get away with it because they just don't have the same threat levels.
    I'll ask a few I know that work Andersons west side if that is taught to them.

If I remember after I talk to Chief Montgomery here in Alex, I will post what he tells me.
    Thanks

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'll ask a few I know that work Andersons west side if that is taught to them.

If I remember after I talk to Chief Montgomery here in Alex, I will post what he tells me.
    Thanks
    I'd be a rare circumstance where you'd WANT to park in front of the address of a crime in progress. Now, if your goal was to scare off the criminals before you arrived, then by all means. Like a large fight, then yeah, go in lights and sirens and pick up the stragglers. Or officers are calling for back-up with an active resister, yup, we are parking as close as we can. However, parking away from the address and walking up gives the officers time to assess the scene they are walking into, maybe it isn't what was reported to 911 as.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'd be a rare circumstance where you'd WANT to park in front of the address of a crime in progress. Now, if your goal was to scare off the criminals before you arrived, then by all means. Like a large fight, then yeah, go in lights and sirens and pick up the stragglers. Or officers are calling for back-up with an active resister, yup, we are parking as close as we can. However, parking away from the address and walking up gives the officers time to assess the scene they are walking into, maybe it isn't what was reported to 911 as.
    Lol. Ahhh memorys of bachelor barracks quads maylays on sat nights after a week in the field.

Top Bottom