• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is no fwd assist on an AR-15 a deal breaker?

• Total voters

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Man...This thread is making my brain hurt...

I need to shave my head, grow a beard, and get some cool tats.......To me a tactical reload is putting the ball down the barrel without a patch on it...On a good day I can get three shots off in a minute.....:)

morgan_s_11_virginia_large.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have no idea what this means.

Does the bolt get hot enough to burn you or cause a pain response?

They're Canadians of soft English stock and feel things such as "pain" and "discomfort"...To Scots-Irish Hilljacks such as ourselves that's an alien concept...

"Wait a minute...Your rifle HURTS you??? Okay...Huh...":)

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have no idea what this means.

Does the bolt get hot enough to burn you or cause a pain response?

You simply must block off a day and watch Point Break until you can quote lines. THEN you will be cool enough, like Johnny Utah, not to gear up when you shoot. (Johnny Utah did not use protective gear in the opening scene while shooting in the rain. "100 percent, Utah"). How I love that movie.

You will call me Bodhi as I reject materialism, such as the fidget spinner toy of the Forward Assist.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Man...This thread is making my brain hurt...

I need to shave my head, grow a beard, and get some cool tats.......To me a tactical reload is putting the ball down the barrel without a patch on it...On a good day I can get three shots off in a minute.....:)

morgan_s_11_virginia_large.jpg

If ya drop da barrl like dat fella in yer picture, without no patch, ya gion' get yer ball wet.

dtthomps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Fishers
    based on my own experience I have never needed one (my PWS rifle doesn't have one) but I have personally witnessed a couple of guys in a few classes who actually had to use theirs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Malfunction = S. P. O. R. T. S
    Slap. Pull. Observe. Reliece. Tap. Squeeze.

Maybe people are confused and think the "T" in SPORTS stands for "Thwack" instead of "Tap".

Worth repeating. I get it, if you have the coordination of newly born deer, wearing bowling balls for shoes, walking on freshly waxed hardwood, the FA may not be for you. If you have ADHD and need to play with it constantly, it may not be for you.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I used my forward assist today during a rifle class. i was probably 220-250ish rounds in and the bolt on my bcm didn't drop all the way. normaly i would do as kirk says and thumb the little cut out but it didn't even make it that far. a little push on the fa with my thumb sent it home and all was well. i think it was a mag issue i accidentally picked up another guys pro mag 20rd mag and had a few malfunctions just with that mag before i started investigating the cause and realized it wasn't my colt mag.

I like the fa for chamber checks and for situations like what happened today. Im not going to jam a round in the chamber by waling on it.

michaelward50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It was quickly added to the M16 when powder fouling started causing stoppages that required disassembly, resulting in a significant number of soldier deaths in Vietnam when the first batches of M16s were fielded. Their bodies were found next to disassembled rifles that had FTC stoppages. The gas impingement AR-15s eventually powder foul, and the hot gases burn and/or evaporate lubricants. The M16(Ax), M4 and gas impingement AR-15s must be cleaned often and kept lubricated. In terms of more recent history, the 507th Maintenance Company ambush in Iraq suffered many M16A2 failures. I've very little doubt it was caused by the rifles not being cleaned frequently enough (not so much powder fouling as the silt-like sand), and not being kept sufficiently lubricated. As soon as I read a detailed report on that ambush that cited all the rifle jams, I knew exactly why that had occurred. They were a maintenance company that turned wrenches fixing broken stuff. Periodic rifle maintenance was pushed to priority so low that it was very rarely performed. This had long been a culturally systemic flaw in many of the the US Army's combat support and very nearly all combat service support units. I carried a M16A1 a little over five years before graduating to a M1911A1, and would not want any rifle based on the M16/AR-15 gas impingement system without a forward assist.

John

Very helpful description. Good field stories to support your point as well. Thanks

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never used one once, of course I've never been in combat, crawling around in mud or a sandbox. I was of the understanding that the powder fouling early on with the initial batches of M16s was due mostly to the use of powder recovered from WWII surplus ammunition, which didn't burn right for a gas impingement system.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It has a couple uses.

If your trying to hunt hogs and need to silently chamber a round, it's damn useful.

It is however not a good idea to use it to jam in a troublemaker round.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’m of the opinion that if a Round doesn’t want to chamber, I don’t want to force it in there. If you donfcfamnit in and it fires, you’re generally ok. If not, you don’t have a lot of leverage to get an out of spec round out of the chamber.

On my .300 BLK SBR I made a ‘gas vent’ to replace my FA. It helps with gas in the face when shooting suppressed. I can actually feel a little puff of air on occasion on my hand when shooting so I know it’s helping some.

E837ADF4-EAF6-4D2C-8A9B-EF7472E920AE.jpg

5982819F-68E3-4C2F-BCEB-FB9EEFAB2D1D.jpg

D2E5ED78-46C1-4B49-B50B-7DA7ECFE613F.jpg

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've been taught about the scallop that's on the bolt itself. If the round isn't chambering and if I can't push the bolt into battery, than there's something wrong and I need to eject that round out and if it repeats, then there's something wrong with the bolt and I need to take it apart. Smacking the forward assist does make things worse

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been taught about the scallop that's on the bolt itself. If the round isn't chambering and if I can't push the bolt into battery, than there's something wrong and I need to eject that round out and if it repeats, then there's something wrong with the bolt and I need to take it apart. Smacking the forward assist does make things worse

That's the standard operating procedure for everyone with whom I have trained and most with whom I would train or will train some day.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "..if a round doesn't want to chamber I don't want to force it in there.." Exactly right! Jamming it in there is easy - getting it back out - not so much. In boot camp our D.I. referred to the FA as the "slush pump". It was a desperate Hail Mary attempt to solve a very serious issue. Pounding rounds into your gun is just attempting to solve an engineering problem with brute force and ignorance. If your rifle won't feed find out why and fix it. If you're in a battle toss it away and pick up something else. In the words of Sam Elliot - "There's gonna be plenty of 'em laying around".

Last edited:

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Of the rounds i put down range in an M4 - i never touched mine. SLAP procedure and misfire procedures have changed a bit over the years - some units train a bit different. For our boarding officer/LEDET training - we didnt pop the FA, we pulled the cahrging handle and moved on wqith the thought its faster to just dodge the issue than push it - thought behind that being if it didnt want to go, get rid of it - if on the new round it still fails, swing your carbine out of the way and 1) grab handgun,or 2) remove self from self from situation and investigate from a safe place. i only had one and i wasnt going to force an issue by popping the FA. I racked and next round seated well and looked at rifle after situation. found nothing with rifle and bad round mustve rolled overboard. As far as do i need it on my current models - only if im press checking at a competition/range. If im on the range and a round doesnt seat - im investigating right there. in a fight - make your gun work as best you can - you gamble with the gun malfunctioning when you need it. At the range - you gamble the darn thing going boom in your face for no good reason. To be honest my HK G3 jams more than my current M4s. and it has no means of FA. As a patrol officer i would want one to be ale to press check the weapon for safety. for simple plinking and what not around the farm - nope dont need one. my fingers are not covered by TRIcare any more - so i pay for what happens to them. And im not risking fingers cause im too lazy to drop a bad round and investigate my gun then and there.
    My 5 cents.
    Also - i do have them on my guns - they are great as mine all have a little spring window in the side of the FA that is absolutely perfect for a wire rod so when i hit my rifles with powder break or a de-greaser they can hang in the back yard in the sun and i can spray them and walk away and let them dry on their own.....kinda like laundry put out to dry on a line - wife has her linens....I have my artillery .

Top Bottom