Found a drain pipe, now how do I fix it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I did that a year ago, my plumber told me to use JB Weld two part syringe. Worked perfectly…
    Lightly countersink the two screw holes. Fill with JB Weld. Cover with Gorrila tape. Let sit for 24 hours. Start using upstairs bath and monitor for leaks. If no leaks after three days, patch wall.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cutting and splicing new pipe is the correct fix.

With such crappy access, I would probably settle for filling the damage with JB Weld, fishing a hose clamp around the pipe, and epoxying a cut out square of rubber hose over it with the hose clamp. Drain pipes are not pressurized.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There is also something called “PVC Slip Fix”

We used them a lot when people would puncture their irrigation lines

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Short Sheet Metal Screws with Butyl Rubber calk on the threads. Make sure they Don't protrude into the interior of the pipe.
    The problem with that is those might rust through and the hole comes back (slightly smaller) Personally I really like the mention of epoxy covered with more PVC and a clamp. Or a small square of packing gasket in place of the PVC would work as well.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Flush fix-a-flat down the toilet.:rockwoot:

Two part 5 minute epoxy and fill the holes using a toothpick, and coat the outside of the holes with epoxy about quarter sized.
    Be sure the area is dry, and sand it lightly on the surface first.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There is also something called “PVC Slip Fix”

We used them a lot when people would puncture their irrigation lines
    A 3" slip fix is at least 3 3/4" wide on the slider part of the slip fix. He said he doesn't have that much room. A 3" slip fix is 40.00? Plus bucks to buy.
    The cheaper way in Irrigation is to cut off the "Bell" end of the pressure pipe and slide it over one side and then clean and glue.
    Slide in place quickly.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    giphy.gif
    dwIqTXM.gif

That should have been the end of the thread. Doesn't anyone watch TV anymore?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have fixed many a pin hole sized leak in galvanized steel pressure pipes with a hose clamp and a piece of bicycle innertube. I'm sure it'd work just fine on a drainpipe.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    dwIqTXM.gif

That should have been the end of the thread. Doesn't anyone watch TV anymore?

Since there's no pressure at all on your vertical pipe and you've got a relatively small hole, I'd suggest you use a bit of pvc primer around the hole, then dab a bit of pvc glue into the hole itself, let set up, and repeat until the hole is filled. Pvc shavings or tiny pieces wouldn't hurt anything either. The pvc glue will bond with the pvc around it and be watertight. If you wanted to do so, a piece of the flex seal tape would be good reinforcement, but the glue would still be a permanent fix.
    WAY easier than cutting out a section and splicing in new, and still easier than the rubber bootie fix as well. This would also keep from having something on the inside of the pipe to catch things and maybe clog over time.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    The easy way out would be ... or cut a PVC coupler in half, primer it and glue it over the holes...

That's my favorite trick if the pipe is in a challenging place to cut out (e.g. lots of obstructions.) Cheap, easy, and effective. Even on a horizontal pipe, this repair will hold forever. On a vertical pipe, no question. An it's a lot less work than truly cutting out the pipe and cementing a new one in w/ 2 junctions.

Just to be clear though "glue" = PVC Cement. It's less than $10 for a small bottle. Don't use anything else if you want the repair to last forever. Many other things will "work" but be more prone to future failure.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Been seeing a lot of spray foam use on cars on a yt channel called just rolled in. They must be onto something I didn't know. I would try that in the hole. Fill it full until it fully expands. :dunno:

Top Bottom